+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: American Total Solar Eclipse' of 2017

Local Date
    06-18-2019
    Local Time
    03:05 AM

Re: American Total Solar Eclipse' of 2017

I could drive up to Wyoming, or even catch it in Oregon with my sister. But that's when we start school, so I guess I'll be watching it from YouTube. I got to see one in Phoenix back in the 80s, though, so I know how cool it is. (Also, I can't show video of it in my classroom. It's taboo for Navajos!)

Local Date
    06-18-2019
    Local Time
    04:05 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_ View Post
    I could drive up to Wyoming, or even catch it in Oregon with my sister. But that's when we start school, so I guess I'll be watching it from YouTube. I got to see one in Phoenix back in the 80s, though, so I know how cool it is. (Also, I can't show video of it in my classroom. It's taboo for Navajos!)
    Could you take a mirror and reflect the Sun on a wall? I would think the kids would find that interesting, especially if you use a square mirror. Also like I said before the Sunlight underneath a tree.

I believe at your location you will get almost 80% obscured.

Local Date
    06-18-2019
    Local Time
    10:05 AM

Just knew there had to be someone predicting the end of the world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L-CbqDCfOo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o87u2oCf7NU

Local Date
    06-18-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    Could you take a mirror and reflect the Sun on a wall? I would think the kids would find that interesting, especially if you use a square mirror. Also like I said before the Sunlight underneath a tree.

I believe at your location you will get almost 80% obscured.
    yeah, I usually teach them how to make a pinhole camera. With a nice one, you can project it on a wall. How to Make a Pinhole Camera Project | NASA/JPL Edu

Local Date
    06-18-2019
    Local Time

Local Date
    06-18-2019
    Local Time
    01:05 AM

Oops! I guess a lot of people had the same idea that I did. I was checking for campground reservations in the zone of totality in Oregon. I was a couple of months late. "The OPRD ended up temporarily putting a blackout date on the reservation system to ensure no one could game the system, finally opening up reservations at camp sites around the time of the eclipse on Nov. 17 at midnight. Campsites in the total eclipse zone were sold out in an hour." link

Local Date
    06-18-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Wandrin View Post
    Oops! I guess a lot of people had the same idea that I did. I was checking for campground reservations in the zone of totality in Oregon. I was a couple of months late. "The OPRD ended up temporarily putting a blackout date on the reservation system to ensure no one could game the system, finally opening up reservations at camp sites around the time of the eclipse on Nov. 17 at midnight. Campsites in the total eclipse zone were sold out in an hour." link
    Yep. I have seen a lot of the same thing. Casper, Jackson, Grand Island, NE, Land between the Lakes, All full.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    06-18-2019
    Local Time
    01:05 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_ View Post
    Taboo for Navajos? Why?

Local Date
    06-18-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Wandrin View Post
    I'm really lucky in that I live so close to the line. For me, it would be a day trip. Using Google maps I've already scoped out plenty of places where I could park in the rural areas for a few hours.

I plan to take a trip to check them out.

Local Date
    06-18-2019
    Local Time
    09:05 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    I saw the same one as Bryn, I think. Just an amazing experience corona diamond ring and all! What surprised me was how cold it got how fast. Really shows the enormous power of that big ball of fusion

edit: The other thing about it is that the moon is receding from us at an inch or so a year I think, so it's only a comparatively tiny moment in time that the moon is exactly the right size to blot out the sun exactly, and we're lucky enough to be alive in that time and with the knowledge to appreciate it.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast