Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41

Thread: American Total Solar Eclipse' of 2017

  1. #11
    Senior Member Saint_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The High Rockies
    Posts
    3,185
    Local Date
    06-18-2019
    Local Time
    03:05 AM

    Re: American Total Solar Eclipse' of 2017

    I could drive up to Wyoming, or even catch it in Oregon with my sister. But that's when we start school, so I guess I'll be watching it from YouTube. I got to see one in Phoenix back in the 80s, though, so I know how cool it is. (Also, I can't show video of it in my classroom. It's taboo for Navajos!)

  2. #12
    Premium Member tude dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North Central Kansas
    Posts
    3,943
    Local Date
    06-18-2019
    Local Time
    04:05 AM

    Re: American Total Solar Eclipse' of 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint_ View Post
    I could drive up to Wyoming, or even catch it in Oregon with my sister. But that's when we start school, so I guess I'll be watching it from YouTube. I got to see one in Phoenix back in the 80s, though, so I know how cool it is. (Also, I can't show video of it in my classroom. It's taboo for Navajos!)
    Could you take a mirror and reflect the Sun on a wall? I would think the kids would find that interesting, especially if you use a square mirror. Also like I said before the Sunlight underneath a tree.

    I believe at your location you will get almost 80% obscured.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    13,378
    Local Date
    06-18-2019
    Local Time
    10:05 AM

    Re: American Total Solar Eclipse' of 2017

    Just knew there had to be someone predicting the end of the world

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L-CbqDCfOo

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o87u2oCf7NU

  4. #14
    Senior Member Saint_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The High Rockies
    Posts
    3,185
    Local Date
    06-18-2019
    Local Time
    03:05 AM

    Re: American Total Solar Eclipse' of 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    Could you take a mirror and reflect the Sun on a wall? I would think the kids would find that interesting, especially if you use a square mirror. Also like I said before the Sunlight underneath a tree.

    I believe at your location you will get almost 80% obscured.
    yeah, I usually teach them how to make a pinhole camera. With a nice one, you can project it on a wall. How to Make a Pinhole Camera Project | NASA/JPL Edu

  5. #15
    Supporting Member tabby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,230
    Local Date
    06-18-2019
    Local Time
    04:05 AM

    Re: American Total Solar Eclipse' of 2017


  6. #16
    Senior Member Wandrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Today?
    Posts
    1,694
    Local Date
    06-18-2019
    Local Time
    01:05 AM

    Re: American Total Solar Eclipse' of 2017

    Oops! I guess a lot of people had the same idea that I did. I was checking for campground reservations in the zone of totality in Oregon. I was a couple of months late. "The OPRD ended up temporarily putting a blackout date on the reservation system to ensure no one could game the system, finally opening up reservations at camp sites around the time of the eclipse on Nov. 17 at midnight. Campsites in the total eclipse zone were sold out in an hour." link

  7. #17
    Proudly humble LarsMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    usually on the road to somewhere.
    Posts
    10,419
    Local Date
    06-18-2019
    Local Time
    03:05 AM

    Re: American Total Solar Eclipse' of 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Wandrin View Post
    Oops! I guess a lot of people had the same idea that I did. I was checking for campground reservations in the zone of totality in Oregon. I was a couple of months late. "The OPRD ended up temporarily putting a blackout date on the reservation system to ensure no one could game the system, finally opening up reservations at camp sites around the time of the eclipse on Nov. 17 at midnight. Campsites in the total eclipse zone were sold out in an hour." link
    Yep. I have seen a lot of the same thing. Casper, Jackson, Grand Island, NE, Land between the Lakes, All full.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

  8. #18
    Supporting Member ZAP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,074
    Local Date
    06-18-2019
    Local Time
    01:05 AM

    Re: American Total Solar Eclipse' of 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint_ View Post
    I could drive up to Wyoming, or even catch it in Oregon with my sister. But that's when we start school, so I guess I'll be watching it from YouTube. I got to see one in Phoenix back in the 80s, though, so I know how cool it is. (Also, I can't show video of it in my classroom. It's taboo for Navajos!)
    Taboo for Navajos? Why?

  9. #19
    Premium Member tude dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North Central Kansas
    Posts
    3,943
    Local Date
    06-18-2019
    Local Time
    04:05 AM

    Re: American Total Solar Eclipse' of 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Wandrin View Post
    Oops! I guess a lot of people had the same idea that I did. I was checking for campground reservations in the zone of totality in Oregon. I was a couple of months late. "The OPRD ended up temporarily putting a blackout date on the reservation system to ensure no one could game the system, finally opening up reservations at camp sites around the time of the eclipse on Nov. 17 at midnight. Campsites in the total eclipse zone were sold out in an hour." link
    I'm really lucky in that I live so close to the line. For me, it would be a day trip. Using Google maps I've already scoped out plenty of places where I could park in the rural areas for a few hours.

    I plan to take a trip to check them out.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kingston-upon-Thames
    Posts
    5,130
    Local Date
    06-18-2019
    Local Time
    09:05 AM

    Re: American Total Solar Eclipse' of 2017

    Register to remove this ad.
    I saw the same one as Bryn, I think. Just an amazing experience corona diamond ring and all! What surprised me was how cold it got how fast. Really shows the enormous power of that big ball of fusion

    edit: The other thing about it is that the moon is receding from us at an inch or so a year I think, so it's only a comparatively tiny moment in time that the moon is exactly the right size to blot out the sun exactly, and we're lucky enough to be alive in that time and with the knowledge to appreciate it.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts