+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: newfies

Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time
    09:25 AM

Re: newfies

I am curious, have you found out more on your application for a pooch?
    �You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�
    ― Mae West

Local Date
    10-24-2019
    Local Time
    02:25 AM

You know how everything is done by the internet now? Well i cant send email from my phone so had to send the application via snail mail . Yesterday i rang a breeder ( obviously would have to be a member of the newf club of Vic) and asked for a phone number because it seems the ones i had were outdated. He couldnt find a phone number either so sent an email off to the president to ring me. Id just like to know what the average waiting period is and if they even got my letter.
    Like i said it could be months. They are few and far between these days because breeders have pretty strict contracts with buyers, and of course they dont breed as many these days. And i was tild that when they do the dogs and already spoken for by overseas buyers.

Ah well it will happen but im not holding my breath..

Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time

my goodness that is quite the drawn out process.
    ― Mae West

Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time
    03:25 PM

I grew up with two Newfoundlands one after the other. Disko and Daniel (named after the Newfoundland fishermen in Kipling's Captains Courageous).

Lovely, lovely dogs. Incredibly strong too! Daniel used to occupy himself on walks by leaping into the river and clearing it of tree branches and I have a photo of myself aged about 4 sitting on Disko's back. That was a one off! Disko put up with it of course, but his expression in the photo is very long suffering...
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time

my children have very fond memories of our old newfie.
    He was a rescue dog. The local college picked him up from the animal shelter and used him as an instructional dog in the veterinarian classes. (no no he was not dissected or tested in any way). And when the semester was over he was up for adoption so we picked him. I am certain he knew we had given him a second chance at life because every day he looked so grateful. He came to us pre-named Jed, and we found it suited him.
    One very snowy blustery morning we let him out for his morning rituals, and he would not come back into the house. This was never a worry as he loved to be outside. A few hours later we went to check on him and there he was lying in the snow, covered in snow, loving life, he had no desire to come into the house, no matter now much we coxed. A few hours after that he finally decided it was time to come, well wasn't it a whole lot of mess when he brought in half his weight of snow with him and shook it everywhere.
    ― Mae West

Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time

LOL the Newfoundland shake!

In summer on the beach they can be devastating.

Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time

OH YES! Nearly drowned us all every time we took him down to the river.
    They are amazing companions.
    ― Mae West

Local Date
    10-24-2019
    Local Time

. Its hilarious..... only those who have wittnessed the shake would believe the atom bomb effect of THAT shake.
    I took our two down the beach one summers morning, so they werefull of sand and salt. Then after we got back they decided to go ver to the dam next door and have another swim in stinky algie water.
    Kayla decided after that she was coming inside to sit under the aircon. After a rather intense conversation with her about scratching at the door i thought i should go outside and give her a bit of a towel rub down....... nope! As i was going out the door she qas coming in, and there wasnt a gd dam thing i could do about it. My yelling didnt faze her and before she made herself comfortable under the aircon she stood in the kitchen and shook......aaand shook!
    I had stinky algie, sand, water, dirt, gob and hair all over the ktchen cupboards and walls.
    I was cleaning it for two days. Six months later i was still finding hair in the door jams.
    And i had to throw out what id been cooking.

Local Date
    10-24-2019
    Local Time

Im laughing so hard. Sometimes id hear the boys come out with "uh oh, run" and you kneq exactly what the dogs were about to do. They had the boys well trained.

Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Oh gosh, I can see your kitchen...! AUGH!

More stories, Can't help it. Our first, Disko, got on very well with our nanny (yes, really ) Ruth, who came on holiday with us and actually met her husband with us in Devon. Dad was godfather to their eldest. There's old cine of her and Disko playing on the beach in soft sand. He'd rear up on his hind legs and plant his paws on her shoulders and then they'd have a pushing competition which he'd inevitably win and she'd end up on her back with him standing over her grinning and slobbering. He knew exactly what he was doing and I don't recall she was ever hurt.

The second was nephew to the first, Daniel. He was a huge dog and always a bit wild because we got him at 5 months, not a pup any more and he was never as gentle as Disko. He settled down when older and one time when we were waiting for Dad to pick us all up after coming off the beach he was standing with us when a snarling, growling Jack Russell attacked his back left ankle. His huge head swung round and he gazed at it for a moment. The head swung back. Then he sat down.

All you could see was the head of the Jack Russell poking out from under Daniel's arse as it yammered away on a very different note. You could see the halo of innocence round Daniel's head as he gazed out to sea, completely ignoring what was happening at his rear end.

We were all laughing too hard to do anything. So were all the bystanders. Eventually someone got him to shift a buttock and the little dog shot off into the distance. Never forgot it.
    Last edited by Clodhopper; 04-01-2017 at 03:11 AM. Reason: try to tell the story better

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast