Thread: "MIssion Accomplished" in Iraq?

Sonoma County, California, United States of America
    Local Date
    02-23-2020
    Local Time
    12:32 AM

Re: "MIssion Accomplished" in Iraq?

Quote Originally Posted by spot
    The words were those of your commander in chief, not the Theater Commander. The idea of Boy George exchanging words with any random unselected Iraqis off the street, in Iraq, is fantasy. The idea of the Theater Commander exchanging words with any random unselected Iraqis off the street, in Iraq, is fantasy, too, but let's play that one.
    my mistake.

You think the Theater Commander's asked many Iraqis on the street whether his troops have shown kindness and goodwill? And you think a significant number of them have grinned and nodded and said yes, effendi, it's exactly so, effendi, please don't kill us painfully?
    well that was offensive. 'effendi'? what, you think the iraqis speak turkish? bah, they're all just brown middle easterners, who can tell the difference, eh?

If you want to know what the Iraqis on the street think about their treatment at the hands of the American troops, read a reputable newspaper. Kindness and goodwill play little part in the answer.
    mmm, let me guess - reputable newspaper, guiliani sgrena's il manifesto? right.......

Local Date
    02-23-2020
    Local Time

Bigger than Grenada, dear boy. Bigger than Grenada. How many medals were awarded for that Reagan-inspired invasion? I could look it up, but it would be a bore, don't you think.
    the size of the island is your benchmark for importance? sheesh.

never mind that the US invaded after a bloody coup. never mind that large numbers of US medical students were there. after the war was 'won', we left. there is no US government there. it's not a US protectorate or possession.

the falklands? "it's ours. why? because we say so. and we'll kill you to keep it ours."

Local Date
    02-23-2020
    Local Time

it's 8pm here in the US. by my reckoning, it's 4am in the UK. do you not sleep, spot?

Local Date
    02-23-2020
    Local Time
    07:32 AM

Quote Originally Posted by anastrophe
    well that was offensive. 'effendi'? what, you think the iraqis speak turkish? bah, they're all just brown middle easterners, who can tell the difference, eh?
    Commonly used throughout those sections of the Arab world which formed part of the Turkish Empire before World War 1. Commonplace in Egypt through the 40s and 50s. Commonplace in Iraq in the 30s. The fact that the title's Turkish has little to do with who would use it obsequeously. Faced with a trooper who speaks nothing but Merkin, in full body armor, on an Iraqi street, I'm not sure what would be more fawning, but as you say I'm not there and not up-to-date on staying alive after Liberation.

Local Date
    02-23-2020
    Local Time

the size of the island is your benchmark for importance? sheesh.

never mind that the US invaded after a bloody coup. never mind that large numbers of US medical students were there. after the war was 'won', we left. there is no US government there. it's not a US protectorate or possession.

the falklands? "it's ours. why? because we say so. and we'll kill you to keep it ours."
    I suspect the drilling, mineral and fishing rights within the internationally-recognised 200 mile continental shelf have a part to play in the decisions of the last few decades round the South Atlantic.

Local Date
    02-23-2020
    Local Time

it's 8pm here in the US. by my reckoning, it's 4am in the UK. do you not sleep, spot?
    In my youth, I could sleep regularly and well. In my declining years, I take what's given with as much gratitude as I can muster, which isn't an awful lot. I wonder whether I get rattier as I get more tired? It upsets me to think that I might.

Local Date
    02-23-2020
    Local Time

Commonly used throughout those sections of the Arab world which formed part of the Turkish Empire before World War 1. Commonplace in Egypt through the 40s and 50s. Commonplace in Iraq in the 30s. The fact that the title's Turkish has little to do with who would use it obsequeously. Faced with a trooper who speaks nothing but Merkin, in full body armor, on an Iraqi street, I'm not sure what would be more fawning, but as you say I'm not there and not up-to-date on staying alive after Liberation.
    i believe a common term used is "gee eye joe".

Local Date
    02-23-2020
    Local Time

i believe a common term used is "gee eye joe".
    I'll get one of my students to try that on the guard at the airbase outside Abingdon, next time she's home for the weekend. I don't think she'd get away with effendi, not in these parts. The Turks never invaded England. "Hey, GI Joe, got any nylons?" We'll see how he reacts. According to my mom, the typical going rate was two pairs for a weekend. She said it was the first time in her life she ever saw a spare tyre.

Local Date
    02-23-2020
    Local Time
    02:32 AM

MSN posted this picture the day after our local boy was killed - This is his unit..this was the exact same story that appeared in our paper -that had happened to him....His parents will have to mourn "our victory?" - everyday for the rest of their lives... Bring them home - and fight our own war here in America...Feed the starving, cure the sick, take care of our children here first - Maybe send over every dum%a** in prison here to fight that war...No- I have not forgotten the WTC - and no one should - but this war was for fuel/oil, and our self -centered goverment - not our freedom...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	224th.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	1749  

~~The Family~~
    Happiness is knowing where you come from...
    Who you are...
    And why you are here.....

Local Date
    02-23-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Thank you, MII, this is the wrong thread for me to be spatting with the sysop. I'll give it a rest. There's too much pain to get as distracted into trivia as we two keep doing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast