+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Breadboards

Local Date
    12-08-2019
    Local Time
    03:40 AM

Breadboards

I looked on eBay to see what exists to teach basic electronics and it's all there, all from the Far East, all extremely cheap.

The best bit is the header power supply, it's the MB102. For under £3 you can have one delivered, with a 400-hole breadboard and pin-ended patch wires. The supply switches between 3.3 or 5 volts and easily provides a stable quarter amp drain. It can take power from a 6V or 12V PSU, battery or USB lead, and it's short-protected.

One turned up here with a few resistors, capacitors, diodes, LEDs, toggle buttons, some IC sockets and op-amp chips. And a few variable resistors. The entire parcel was less than US$20 and none of it involves soldering. I thought if there was a thread then those with an interest could drop the occasional photo here.

From what I can gather, the MB102 is a standard tool in Chinese school classrooms which accounts for the volume produced and the consequent low price. I think they'll have some far better educated citizens than us a few years down the line, the supply factories must be making these modules by the tens of millions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mb102a.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	41892  
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    12-08-2019
    Local Time

Re: Breadboards

I have an interest but know bugger all about it, I really fancy building my own computer and installing linux but any hardware problems and I wouldn't know how to establish there was actually a problem with hardware and not software.

Local Date
    12-08-2019
    Local Time
    04:40 AM

I buy ready sliced.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Local Date
    12-08-2019
    Local Time
    04:40 AM

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    I have an interest but know bugger all about it, I really fancy building my own computer and installing linux but any hardware problems and I wouldn't know how to establish there was actually a problem with hardware and not software.
    If you know as much as you say I wouldn't bother.
    Compatible parts being the major drawback I think.
    Get a barebones and fit the extra bits yourself........I have done it once and was well pleased with myself.
    Think you have to fit the Hard drive and Optical drives yourself if memory serves me.
    I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Local Date
    12-07-2019
    Local Time
    07:40 PM

I've used them for years for tinkering with various little projects or ideas.

I'd like to see them used in US classrooms since electronics are an integral part of life these days.

Local Date
    12-08-2019
    Local Time

The first Integrated Circuit I was paid to build a circuit round was a UA741 8-pin DIP which I made the core of a furnace thermostat. I was paid to build the furnace too, and grow single-crystal zinc electrodes in it. That was in 1971. I might try to find today's 5 volt equivalent to work with, it was a pretty universal tool wherever an op-amplifier was needed so long as the frequency was within bounds, which would be zero to ultrasonic. They'd only been in production for a couple of years when I first used one and they were like science fiction turning real.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    12-07-2019
    Local Time
    07:40 PM

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    The first Integrated Circuit I was paid to build a circuit round was a UA741 8-pin DIP which I made the core of a furnace thermostat. I was paid to build the furnace too, and grow single-crystal zinc electrodes in it. That was in 1971. I might try to find today's 5 volt equivalent to work with, it was a pretty universal tool wherever an op-amplifier was needed so long as the frequency was within bounds, which would be zero to ultrasonic. They'd only been in production for a couple of years when I first used one and they were like science fiction turning real.
    That sounds pretty cool. It must have been fun to design/debug.

Local Date
    12-08-2019
    Local Time

I remember soldering the board, I had a 240v transformer bringing the power down to 12v and a rectifier bridge to get DC from it and I'd been testing the circuit as far as it had got. The back of my hand touched the 240v side and numbed my arm, which then fell back onto the 240v and I was hit a second time. Several arm shakes later I'd worked out what I'd done and I was annoyed with myself, to the point where I carried on soldering. For some reason I hadn't actually thought of switching off the transformer and pow, I did it again. That's the only time I ever had three mains shocks in one minute. I don't recommend the experience.

Local Date
    12-08-2019
    Local Time
    02:40 PM

Remember in the eighties when you built your own computer?

Remember in the early 20th century when you built your own radios?

Local Date
    12-08-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    I've built radios pretty much from scratch, yes. As far as computers go, I've assembled some.

Here's what I was looking for online. 4 op-amps on each chip, any DC supply voltage from 2.8v to 33v, 20 units delivered for $3. I'll see what I can make them do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lm324na.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	41894  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast