+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

Local Date
    06-03-2020
    Local Time
    05:03 AM

Re: Game of Thrones

Tonight's viewing pleasure is The Battle of the Bastards. Very satisfying towards the end!

Premium Member
    Local Date
    06-03-2020
    Local Time
    04:03 AM

What message or theme do you take away from GoT? To me, it's all about self-interest.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    06-03-2020
    Local Time
    03:03 AM

The thing that fascinated me is How society could all but stagnate for so long These people had some pretty interesting technology, and yet, they never advanced from the same technological or philosophical level for several thousand years. How is that even possible?

I also spent a bit of time pondering what kind of planetary configuration could cause such erratic seasonal variations as described.
    "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - Anon

Premium Member
    Local Date
    06-03-2020
    Local Time

The show is fantasy, isn't it?
    Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    06-03-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    The show is fantasy, isn't it?
    Well, sure.
    Still the science nerd in me is intrigued.
    "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - Anon

Local Date
    06-03-2020
    Local Time
    05:03 AM

What message or theme do you take away from GoT? To me, it's all about self-interest.
    Hmmmm ... well, I found a consistent theme of redemption among many of the major and minor characters. That's what stands out to me the most. Also a theme of loyalty. Or non-loyalty as was the case sometimes.

Self interest is there, yes but in all fairness everyone in life has to look out for themselves. Unbridled ambition certainly was present though.

Don't be complacent.

Expect the unexpected.

Never socialize with anyone who has a flayed man as their family sigil.

Chills, thrills, clever dialog, and a marvelous cast!

Premium Member
    Local Date
    06-03-2020
    Local Time

What do you make of Tyrion's plea to Jon Snow in season 8 while in prison? Is it a genuine concern for people and their future or is it to save himself from execution?
    Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    06-03-2020
    Local Time

You're both right, you know.
    Self interest, like Littlefinger, and Cersei.
    Loyalty and redemption.
    Rob stark learned the hard way about loyalty.
    Bron was loyal to a fault, to Tyrion, and probably not just for the gold.
    And look at Lord Mormont for the ultimate example of sheer loyalty and redemption.
    Or Theron Greyjoy. Self interest, then loyalty, and finally, redemption.
    - Anon

Premium Member
    Local Date
    06-03-2020
    Local Time

I don't disagree with anything either of you posted. My perspective is that the values listed are all driven by self-interest or self-preservation. I think self-interest is the first default concern of any member of any species save that of a responsible mature parent for their young. A value Cersei craves but can't seem to fully grasp. And one that Tyrion exploits and appeals to numerous times throughout. Cercie's reactions to him are not out of a mother's love as much as they are out of her sadness for her inability to be genuine about motherhood. That's my take anyway.

For me, the most revealing scenes are when Arya walks through the city bleeding after being stabbed and no one cares to the point of not even noticing. Everyone is completely focused and involved in whatever comforts their lifestyle affords them. Yet, when Cersei does her repentance walk, everyone in the city cares. Two different cities, I know. The first looks to be a busy marketplace where respectable-looking people appear to be lost in consumerism and the second are less fortunate people seeking recognition or value, angry at someone who's achieved it.
    Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    06-03-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    I don't disagree with anything either of you posted. My perspective is that the values listed are all driven by self-interest or self-preservation. I think self-interest is the first default concern of any member of any species save that of a responsible mature parent for their young. A value Cersei craves but can't seem to fully grasp. And one that Tyrion exploits and appeals to numerous times throughout. Cercie's reactions to him are not out of a mother's love as much as they are out of her sadness for her inability to be genuine about motherhood. That's my take anyway.

For me, the most revealing scenes are when Arya walks through the city bleeding after being stabbed and no one cares to the point of not even noticing. Everyone is completely focused and involved in whatever comforts their lifestyle affords them. Yet, when Cersei does her repentance walk, everyone in the city cares. Two different cities, I know. The first looks to be a busy marketplace where respectable-looking people appear to be lost in consumerism and the second are less fortunate people seeking recognition or value, angry at someone who's achieved it.
    That's some interesting points
    You know the Cersei is Tyrion's sister, right?

It seems that from your PoV, I guess, Self interest is the only true motivating factor that drives human activity.
    - Anon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast