+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Diabetes

Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time
    12:52 PM

Re: Diabetes

Definitely need to increase water intake. I have been averaging 2 L per day.
    Does you doc have you on any diabetes meds?
    Metformin, perhaps?

The urine testing helps, but unfortunately to get an accurate instantaneous Blood sugar, you will need to use that pricker.
    I hate the thing, but I also have the need to know what is going on. There are some that you can use on other areas beside finger tips which are a bit more comfortable.
    As for finger sticking, become ambidextrous and prick a different finger and different hand each time. It gets easier. Use those alcohol wipes, too. The stuff you pick up during the day on you skin and even sweat can affect your readings by 20 points or more.
    First thing in the morning will tell you how your overall system is doing. Amazingly, even 30 minutes in the morning can make a big difference, because when you wake, your system starts cranking out glucose to get you going. I can have 68 to 98 right after waking, and 30 minutes later it is up to 130-140.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time
    02:52 PM

You're either diabetic or you are not, and you are. Doesn't matter anymore how you think you got there; besides, you are probably wrong. It's not easy to arrive at 9.1; a few months isn't long enough. What matters now is where you go from here. You can control it, but once you are diabetic it's chronic.

Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time
    07:52 PM

I mistrust doctors who medicate, my lurking suspicion is that doctors do it to increase your subsequent reliance on them. I'm not taking any medication but I am self-dosing on vitamins and minerals.

There's also a doctor-led suggestion in the UK that overweight people showing type II diabetes, who are then dieting on low carbohydrates and losing all the symptoms, are seen in sufficient numbers that it could at least be described as in remission. In other words the diabetes symptoms are a by-product of stuffing on bread and pizza and it's reversible. I agree that compromised insulin production is irreversible but that's a different thing.

I'll post figures when I see them.

Today's consumption is on the graphic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	whipsiddery11.png
Views:	24
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	42167  
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I mistrust doctors who medicate, my lurking suspicion is that doctors do it to increase your subsequent reliance on them. I'm not taking any medication but I am self-dosing on vitamins and minerals.

There's also a doctor-led suggestion in the UK that overweight people showing type II diabetes, who are then dieting on low carbohydrates and losing all the symptoms, are seen in sufficient numbers that it could at least be described as in remission. In other words the diabetes symptoms are a by-product of stuffing on bread and pizza and it's reversible. I agree that compromised insulin production is irreversible but that's a different thing.

I'll post figures when I see them.

Today's consumption is on the graphic.
    That is pretty much true.
    I am fortunate now to be in the care of a doctor who came over from the Ukraine in the 80s and became certified in the US. Her belief is exactly as you said, Diet and exercise are the best preventatives for Type II. However, getting the condition under control may take some medication at first. I am now just on Metformin, and doing fairly well.

I had a couple of docs early on who were proponents of drug therapy and I experimented with a number of different drug combinations. I am now to the point where I am in better shape than I have been for decades. In 1996 I was 300 lb, with high glucose, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol.
    Now, I am around 240, and my A1c is around 5.8, cholesterol is no longer a problem and BP is around 135/60
    Even the damage of indulging in holiday munchies never took my BG over 180.

So the drugs helped to get me going in the right direction, but now I am getting along with diet and exercise and Metformin, and we may experiment with tossing the Metformin this spring.
    Last edited by LarsMac; 01-22-2018 at 05:25 PM. Reason: typo
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time
    10:52 AM

My doctor was a little concerned and had me do the prickie thingie for a day, every couple of hours, to look for patterns. What we found was that my glucose level was highest right after I wake up in the morning, then decreases and stabilizes for the rest of the day. She made one change to a prescription I was taking for something else, swapping the morning and night time pills, and that helped a bit. She emailed me links to several articles about diet and exercise. She has had me repeat the one day prickie thingie profile routine every six months or so, to look for changes. My A1c is still within limits, but it is something I have to watch.

Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time

Why the medical profession hasn't got a $10 one-gram subcutaneous bluetooth implant to monitor a hundred blood variables and download the history on command I've no idea. Maybe the Chinese will dedicate a fabrication plant to it. If they can do as much for smartphone processors they should do it for a diagnostic kit too. The market size is in billions. It would solve their mass surveillance problem at a stroke as well.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time

Right, I had a go with this stabby thing to check I'd set the meter up properly.

First I waited an hour after my first meal of the day (1pm pork-and-cucumber salad with added celery 160cal, 3g net carbs). Then I fitted a strip into the meter and the meter powered up.

I set the jabber to maximum jab, pressed against a finger I don't use much and fired. It was like an air rifle going off. I heard an echo from the far side of the room. My finger shrieked with pain.

I could see no blood despite expecting it to be dripping rapidly down my wrist. I squeezed and a drop appeared. I let the meter suck it up and it said 6.7 mmol/L.

I can't see me ever doing that again, I'd rather fight wolves. It's the worst shock I've had since my Geiger Counter radiation klaxon went off at four in the morning for no good reason.

Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time

A good friend of mine had diabetes and didn't really do what he needed to to take care of it. (I understand that you are far to smart to neglect those things.) We found him in the backyard one day, dead. Apparently he had begun drinking again and had fallen into a diabetic coma and froze to death. Diabetes is a vicious disease so my best wishes and sympathies for you. This forum would be pale indeed without you intellect, no matter how ofter misguided I happen to think you are.

Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time

Set the pen to the lowest, or next to lowest, setting spot. What setting is it on now?

Local Date
    10-21-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    While 6.7 is good For a Diabetic a normal person would have had a 5. First meal at 1 pm for diabetic a mistake unless you woke up at 11 am. Diabetics should eat something 2 hours after wake up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast