Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: UK comedy government at it again

Local Date
    12-07-2019
    Local Time
    04:03 AM

Re: UK comedy government at it again

Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    Except Hitler never won the election. Hindenburg did. Hitler's Nazis were the minority, with only 36% of the vote - the Remainers, if you will. Due to the increasing pressure of the minority group Hindenburg gave concessions to Hitler by making him Chancellor. When Hindenburg died Hitler acceded him, did away with the office of President & declared a new one - Fuhrer. There certainly is a parallel here. The Minority wanting control over the Majority, and to Hell with Democracy.
    Election of March 5th 1933: the Nazis received 43.9% of the popular vote and 288 seats in the Reichstag out of a total of 647 seats. This made them the largest Party and Hitler Chancellor, and Hindenberg had been President since 1925 when the Nazis polled around 2 or 3 % of the popular vote. The Presidential election was separate from the Parliamentary election, a bit like the US voting for President and separately for Congress. Hindenberg did however warmly support Hitler as a strong leader.

So you are completely wrong on this. Hitler won that election with a larger mandate than our brexit government has.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

Local Date
    12-07-2019
    Local Time

Let's assume for a moment that brexit is the disaster it looks as though it will be, with NI exploding again because they can't sort out the Border issue, Scotland leaving the Union and economic disaster across the UK. 17 million out of 65 or so million voted for it. Just over 1/4 voted for it. Ok, it's obvious that the 16million Remainers will make their feelings known. But what of the vast number who didn't vote at all? If brexit is a disaster do you think they'll feel warmly to those who caused their country to be torn apart and devastated?

Better hope that these lying tory bastards you support can deliver you a successful brexit.

Local Date
    12-07-2019
    Local Time

Incompetence ot simple racism

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8308936.html

Home Office under Theresa May destroyed evidence able to spare Windrush generation from deportation

Landing cards – recording dates of arrival in the UK – were thrown away, despite staff warnings, ex-employee reveals
    Something else you won't see in the daily mail

UK refers Scotland's Brexit Bill to Supreme Court | The National

If you read the mainstream press and watch the bbc you would think brexit is all done and dusted. IMO if we had another election at this point the tories would be wiped out they're fascists in all but name most brexiteers seem to have little understanding of how our parliamentyary system is supposed to work. Not to worry the royal wedding is soon to come so that's all right then.

Local Date
    12-07-2019
    Local Time

The BBC is under assault from brexiters for not publishing pro-brexit propaganda to support their country (also to a lesser extent from Remainers who feel it is caving under pressure from brexiters).

There are still Russian trolls on the BBC HYS though they are less incompetent and fewer. But you still get comments that look as though they were translated direct from 1970s Pravda - there was one recently which condemned Remainers and the BBC for opposing the democratically expressed will of the people.

It takes a truly fundamental misunderstanding of democracy to write something like that. Native brexiters stopped using that one within days of the vote when it was pointed out that opposition is essential in a democracy and they'd been opposing the EU for decades against the democratically expressed wish of the joining referendum. The argument then degenerated into Common Market/EU/Nazi German takeover but the point about opposition in a democracy wasn't opposed.

They do have an article and a HYS on the BBC regarding the Scottish Brexit Bill: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-43742208

Given the choice between cock-up and conspiracy I usually go for cock-up. Unless we get serious evidence to the contrary that's my position on throwing out old paperwork - unless it turns out the Windrush stuff was the only old paperwork got rid of. The historian in me is whimpering, though. This was back in 2010 and brexit hadn't been thought of. The current immigration ****e is brexit related so I don't see a link at present

edit: And why wasn't something like that automatically sent to the Public Record Office at Kew? Not their sort of record I suppose (?) but you'd have thought the historical significance was obvious.

Local Date
    12-06-2019
    Local Time
    09:03 PM

We don't really get a lot of news over here on how this Brexit thing is progressing, and I've been too busy with personal stuff to go looking for news on it.
    This thread has been my sole source of info, of late.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    12-07-2019
    Local Time

Posted by larsmac
    We don't really get a lot of news over here on how this Brexit thing is progressing, and I've been too busy with personal stuff to go looking for news on it.
    This thread has been my sole source of info, of late.
    Don't see why you should it's not really something that will affect america.

We're in the middle of a major political crisis instigated by a bunch of racist halfwits and a constitutional crisis that is possibly going to lead to the end of the united kingdom as scotland declares independence. Scotland will be OK staying in the eu england is in the **** they also have the problem of where to rebase all the nuclear submarines and where the replacement for trident will be based. Watch this space looksw like the UK government will probably oppose another scottish indepence referendum, silly thing to do.

Local Date
    12-06-2019
    Local Time
    09:03 PM

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post

We're in the middle of a major political crisis instigated by a bunch of racist halfwits and a constitutional crisis that is possibly going to lead to the end ...
    We can relate to that much of it.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    12-07-2019
    Local Time

The main reason we are in a mess at this moment is that although there were enough voted to Leave there was absolutely no thought given to what we would do once we left, or the process of leaving. The result is that there is no agreement on how matters should proceed and what the destination is, even among those who want to leave. Some want to leave everything NOW, some want to leave the political union but stay in the economic one and some want to only partially leave the political union and stay completely in the economic one.

Then we have the people running it. David Davis is our chief negotiator and a long term Leaver. He was described by one of the managers of the Leave campaign as "Thick as mince, lazy as a toad and vain as Narcissus." His performance to date confirms the description. It seems his stupidity has put us in an impossible situation on the Irish Border issue.

The problem here is that no-one can decide where or what the Border should be and not one brexiter seems even to have considered the possibility there might be a problem in advance. I've just seen that the UK suggestions have just been taken apart by the EU side and rejected. This matters because that idiot Davis has committed us to accepting all EU regulations but having no say in them if a solution can't be found, or (I think - it's all a bit unclear) to accepting a border in the Irish Sea which will make the Unionists (who want union with the UK) absolutely scream because it would be a significant step to a united Ireland (fighting against which is the whole point of the Unionists' existence), and without Unionist support the Government loses its majority in Parliament.

The Foreign Secretary is Liar Johnson. I honestly believe he shows a number of psychopathic traits and would love to see how he scored on a proper test. This doesn't necessarily make him a bad politician, but coupled with his huge personal ambition it makes him very dangerous. I think Milton caught his type perfectly in Paradise Lost: when Satan first looks round in Hell his reaction is

...Here at least
    we shall be free; the Almighty hath not built
    Here for his envy, will not drive us hence:
    Here we may reign secure, and in my choice
    to reign is worth ambition though in Hell:
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.

(What I give Johnson and Milton's Satan over Trump is personality. They at least have one; Trump just has a collection of issues.)

The only reason I have been given to leave the EU that has any truth to it is that there is corruption there and some of the newer states in particular are dodgy in some aspects of their democracy and have the Russian attitude to politics which is that the point of election is to siphon off as much money as you can as fast as possible into your Swiss bank account. Or London.

Over here we've had a number of corruption scandals. Cash for questions in Parliament was a good one. I wouldn't regard us as really bad as these things go but corruption crops up everywhere over time and is a constant battle. So it's not as if we're leaving a corrupt hell for a pure paradise. It also misses the point that the EU was working to improve these countries and brexit has stopped that process dead as the unity of the remaining 27 is now the most important thing.

As a Remainer I have still not been shown anything positive about brexit. As far as I can see, it is purely and simply running away. More than that, it is running away from a mouse because people have been convinced it's a Tiger tank with Hitler in the turret.

Local Date
    12-07-2019
    Local Time

posted by clodhopper
    The main reason we are in a mess at this moment is that although there were enough voted to Leave there was absolutely no thought given to what we would do once we left, or the process of leaving.
    IMO some people voted to leave as a way of protesting about the way things are in general many more didn't bother because they don't think it makes any difference. Brexiteers are terrified of anothger referendum because they know the result would be so much the other way it would kill the issue for years to come. More to the point the electiorate is changing with young people overwhelmingly in favour of remaining and would be the most to suffer from the consequences of what is happening. There are now more of them and those who didn't bother voting now perhaps a better understanding of what happens when you let bigots and racists set the agenda.

Watched the rivers of blood documentary last night. Interesting, you forget how virulent the racism actually was and how far we have come.

Local Date
    12-07-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Darn. That's the trouble with tv - there are so few progs I actually want to watch that I miss ones that I do because I never noticed or forgot them. Oh - I Player. I'll go and check

I was aware that things had been bad and that the Police were straightforwardly racist but have generally regarded it as a strength of the UK system that these issues were addressed and to a large extent resolved. Not completely resolved - I'm not sure that fallible humans can ever manage that - but certainly improved greatly.

The curious thing is that there have been black people here from the early days of the slave trade because not all were sold in America, a few were brought back and a legal case eventually settled the fact that slavery was not possible in England. For a time it was fashionable for ladies to have a "blackamoor" child as a page. What generally happened to these people when they grew up I don't know but I have heard one rather lovely story about one, who was educated by his mistress and set himself up as a coal merchant with the name Mr Cole. He had a successful business and bought a house, had servants and was a success by any standards.

Many served in the Royal Navy, which wasn't fussy about where it got men, and some were promoted though never to officer rank. They were however in command of white men and that was backed by navy discipline and the shipmate culture.

There are hints that some of the early Christians were at the least very dusky. I think St Theodosius - one of the early saints anyway - was from North Africa and I believe that a facial reconstruction done on a skull from an early monastic graveyard somewhere in England turned out to be *****id...! edit: blimey. can't say that word at all??? Ok, of stereotypical black African features. (!!!)

I wonder as well if the fact that there have been 4 nations (or more) squabbling in these islands for 2,000 years actually helps when there's a will to peace. There's experience there of how to get along if we want to. And lots of how not to, which is just as important. Current events are a good example of how not to. Honestly, if brexiters had been invited to set up a situation where Scotland was encouraged to leave the UK and a practical method of doing it they couldn't have done better than they are. Hmm. Perhaps I can add smuggling to possible sources of income if I move to the Borders. It's traditional after all. Cattle reiving might be a bit of a stretch, at least until I'm settled in and know the country.

My friends are back from NZ where they had a great time and were looking into the possibilities of moving but it's not on. Not practical for him and she's doing really well at work with promotion and very senior managers arguing over who gets her so it needs something big to pull her away. Fairly brexit proof as well since she number crunches for pension companies (now manages other number crunchers) with a side salad of fraud detection. She has explained precisely what she does but neither I nor her husband understand it

edit: I'm not sure at present how a referendum rerun would go. The polling numbers I've seen suggest about 52-48 to Remain and that's not yet a big enough swing to be significant imo. Margins of error, questions about polling methods etc etc. One silver lining to the cloud of these drawn out negotiations its that it does give us a little time. As the reality becomes clearer and there are fewer brexiters through simple demographics next year might be when the penny drops and we're looking at the sort of numbers that make a 2nd referendum a big Remain win.

We live in interesting times.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast