Premium Member
    Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time
    11:06 PM

Re: Brett Kavanaugh

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    NO

From minute one there was a lynch mob in the wings.

Can we be honest, really?

It is not about Kavanagh, but that the Senate refused to consider Merrick Garland.

Not only that, Kavanagh seems to be a conservative jurist who reads the Constitution for what it is.
    You tell em! Cartoons are sufficient citations for accusations like this anyway.

Too many people have said all these things for them not to be true. Right?
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time
    10:06 PM

Thumbs down Re: Brett Kavanaugh

Quote Originally Posted by yaaarrrgg View Post
    Exactly. The GOP senators were pretending this was a court case. Saying that Ford was trying to "ruin Kavanaugh's life." But he was born into privilege and would still be quite comfortable if he didn't get the job. He's not fighting for his freedom. He's fighting for more power. Completely different case.

Meanwhile if I showed up at a job interview, and multiple women there said I asaulted them, I certainly wouldn't get the job.

Apparently you ruin a privileged person's life by (one time) holding them to the same standards as everyone else.
    Tell us about your job interviews.

It wasn't so much as a job interview as political theatre.
    Gosh, it would be awful pleasin'
    To reason out the reason
    For things I can't explain

Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time
    09:06 PM

It's interesting that Gorsuch managed to pass the same interview process (with the same people) without this problem. Kavanaugh had the bar lowered to bare minimum in his favor.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time

Reason and logic are such weak methods of arguing. It baffles the mind why anyone would resort to them when cartoons and empty sentence fragments are so plentiful.
    Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    10-24-2019
    Local Time
    03:06 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    Reason and logic are such weak methods of arguing. It baffles the mind why anyone would resort to them when cartoons and empty sentence fragments are so plentiful.
    ...it got Trump to the Presidency. So it's hard to disagree with you. It's tempting to use the same techniques back but at that point all sanity is lost instead of just that of those in power.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time

Exactly. The GOP senators were pretending this was a court case. Saying that Ford was trying to "ruin Kavanaugh's life." But he was born into privilege and would still be quite comfortable if he didn't get the job. He's not fighting for his freedom. He's fighting for more power. Completely different case.

Meanwhile if I showed up at a job interview, and multiple women there said I asaulted them, I certainly wouldn't get the job.

Apparently you ruin a privileged person's life by (one time) holding them to the same standards as everyone else.
    And just how would you feel about being accused of these crimes and being completely innocent?

Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time

It's interesting that Gorsuch managed to pass the same interview process (with the same people) without this problem. Kavanaugh had the bar lowered to bare minimum in his favor.
    Interesting indeed.

Much has been said about Kavanagh's temperament and so little about the lack of professionalism of the senators.

Passed the bar?

If those senators had stopped for a drink maybe they could have an excuse.

Oh BTW, where in the Constitution does it mention any bar at all?
    To reason out the reason

Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time

You know what's interesting is Kavanaugh said he believed that Ford was telling the truth about being assaulted. His argument was to say they were both speaking the truth in a sense: except that she just didn't know who actually did it, and is now she blamed the wrong person.

It's an interesting defense. But that's not really how memory works, is it?

Recently, I happened to be in a restaurant next to a guy I went to school with. I didn't know him very well... he was the younger brother of one of my friends. It kinda cracked me up though.

Seeing him, I remembered something about him from probably almost 30 years ago ... we were on a school bus and he thought it would be a funny prank to punch me in the arm, when I wasn't looking. He was laughing about it, though it actually hurt a bit.

I remembered that about him when I saw him. Now, there's a 100% chance he forgot about the prank. I doubt he would even remember me, since that was about our only interaction. I probably wouldn't even remember him except for that. So, obviously it's an instinctive survival mechanism that the brain locks onto even mild injuries, probably more strongly than jokes.

The fact that Kavanaugh said she was telling the truth about being assaulted by "someone" and Ford saying that he was drunk and laughing ... that paints a fairly clear picture.
    To reason out the reason

Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time

When lawyers go bad.

Judicial Watch Files Bar Complaint Against Lawyers For Christine Blasey Ford

"By not informing their client Dr. Ford that Sen. Chuck Grassley, Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee offered in a letter to 'fly female staff investigators to meet Dr. Ford… in California, or anywhere else, to obtain (her) testimony, Katz, Banks, and Bromwich violated the following District of Columbia Rules of Professional Conduct," Judicial Watch released Friday. "Rule l.4(a) – A lawyer shall keep a client reasonably informed about the status of a matter and promptly comply with reasonable requests for information [and] Rule 1.4(b) – A lawyer shall explain a matter to the extent reasonably necessary to permit the client to make informed decisions regarding the representation."
    To reason out the reason

Premium Member
    Local Date
    10-23-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    So much for Judicial Watch. Though I expect a response to be something like "whatever that means".
    "Judicial Watch (JW) is an American conservative activist group[1] and self-styled watchdog group[2][3] that files Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuits to investigate claimed misconduct by government officials.

Founded in 1994, JW has primarily targeted Democrats, in particular the Clinton administration, the Obama administration, and Hillary Clinton, although it has sued Republicans as well including the administration of George W. Bush. It has also filed lawsuits against government climate scientists; Judicial Watch has described climate science as "fraud science". The group has made numerous false and unsubstantiated claims, which have been picked up by right-wing news outlets. The vast majority of its lawsuits have been dismissed.[1]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judicial_Watch

The entire wiki article is quite a read. Judicial Watch appears to be a dysfunctional organization.
    Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast