Thread: Brett Kavanaugh

Premium Member
    Local Date
    11-19-2019
    Local Time
    10:55 PM

Re: Brett Kavanaugh

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    This unity that you refer to is more of a shift in the membership as the lunatics take over the farm, and those with any measure of sanity abandon their posts and run for their lives.
    A lot of commentators make this point, and it's true from a conventional perspective. There appears to be a new normal, however. The gatekeepers of the Republican party planted these seeds and nurtured the growth of the "lunatic's" takeover, and then, yes, they bailed.

That leaves me to wonder if they were unconscious of what they had been doing or their focus was so narrow that they, in effect, took what they could get during their time, and then ran. The latter is more indicative of the Republican mindset I'm familiar with. Corporate raider types. Sociopaths.

Frankly, I'm pleased to see the destruction of conventional politics. I like what this presidency has done to shake up normalcy, as it were. I don't care for Trump as a person or his administration, however, they are exactly what they claim to be and I find that refreshing. We need a similar shakeup of the Democratic party with better actors.

The tribal reference I made is because that in spite of the fact that Trump has not actually done anything he promised for rank and file followers, by flowing money to the rich and nominating and pushing through a privileged Yalie to the SC, they stand behind him. They are obviously not paying attention, they are just cheering on an idea of nonconventionality.

The Democrats were at their best when they had a true purpose - Like ending segregation.
    I agree. They need to embrace a new purpose. I'm afraid their obligations to Wall Street are too great an obstacle to overcome.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    11-19-2019
    Local Time
    08:55 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    A lot of commentators make this point, and it's true from a conventional perspective. There appears to be a new normal, however. The gatekeepers of the Republican party planted these seeds and nurtured the growth of the "lunatic's" takeover, and then, yes, they bailed.

That leaves me to wonder if they were unconscious of what they had been doing or their focus was so narrow that they, in effect, took what they could get during their time, and then ran. The latter is more indicative of the Republican mindset I'm familiar with. Corporate raider types. Sociopaths.

Frankly, I'm pleased to see the destruction of conventional politics. I like what this presidency has done to shake up normalcy, as it were. I don't care for Trump as a person or his administration, however, they are exactly what they claim to be and I find that refreshing. We need a similar shakeup of the Democratic party with better actors.

The tribal reference I made is because that in spite of the fact that Trump has not actually done anything he promised for rank and file followers, by flowing money to the rich and nominating and pushing through a privileged Yalie to the SC, they stand behind him. They are obviously not paying attention, they are just cheering on an idea of nonconventionality.

I agree. They need to embrace a new purpose. I'm afraid their obligations to Wall Street are too great an obstacle to overcome.
    Any one who ever believed that either party ever truly had the welfare of the common man in mind was not paying attention.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    11-19-2019
    Local Time
    07:55 PM

Any one who ever believed that either party ever truly had the welfare of the common man in mind was not paying attention.
    Well said.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    11-19-2019
    Local Time

There have been times when it worked out well though. Lincoln, FDR and LBJ.
    Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    11-19-2019
    Local Time
    07:55 PM

There is actually some serious talk about the ABA (American Bar Association) investigating him for his behavior, and for his comments, under Oath, to the Senate Committee.

What would happen to his spot on the bench if the ABA disbarred his sorry a$$.
    That could prove interesting.
    That's a very interesting question. As I understand it, the Constitution doesn't say that Supreme Court judges have to have license to practice law. So, theoretically, he could be disbarred and not lose his seat. I could be very wrong on this, of course.

Local Date
    11-19-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Wandrin View Post
    That's a very interesting question. As I understand it, the Constitution doesn't say that Supreme Court judges have to have license to practice law. So, theoretically, he could be disbarred and not lose his seat. I could be very wrong on this, of course.
    I had to look it up.

You're right. There really is no "official" qualifications for the bench.
    Any idiot that is nominated by the POTUS, and confirmed by the US Senate can be a Justice.

So much for the notion of the sanctity of the court.
    Apparently the authors of the constitution never really considered the SCOTUS to be terribly important. Whatever authority and gravity the court has today is a result of 200+ years of work the men and women who accepted the appointment have put into the task.

We're so screwed.
    I think I need a drink.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers

Local Date
    11-19-2019
    Local Time
    09:55 PM

Sad that some here see the need for an unelected body, to replace our Constitution.

There is a way to remove a justice, but it is a lawful procedure starting with the presumption of innocence. "Sorry, that stand in the way."

NOT

Be careful what you all wish for.
    Gosh, it would be awful pleasin'
    To reason out the reason
    For things I can't explain

Local Date
    11-19-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    Sad that some here see the need for an unelected body, to replace our Constitution.

There is a way to remove a justice, but it is a lawful procedure starting with the presumption of innocence. "Sorry, that stand in the way."

NOT

Be careful what you all wish for.
    Well, He is duly appointed per the constitution, and therefore, now a Justice of the US Supreme Court.
    He has shown no evidence of innocence, near as I can tell.
    His tirade during the hearing was anything but bipartisan, and is actions on the bench, as well has his actions prior to his first judicial appointment show him to be as partisan as they come.

Your "presumption of innocence" only applies to the accusations of criminal action. To my knowledge, no one has yet taken that step.

Though there is substantial mounting evidence that indicates he may have lied to Congress during his testimony to the Senate subcommittee.
    Lying to Congress is a Class 3 Felony.

Of course none of that will really matter, for now, so it looks like we are stuck with him.

We certainly live in interesting times.

Local Date
    11-19-2019
    Local Time
    09:55 PM

As for the saying "beware what you wish for" ... this also applies to the GOP. It's in an unwinnable political situation now, with Roe v Wade.

If they overturn it, they will lose the vote of half the country. If they don't, they will lose support from evangelicals.

Before, the GOP always had a plausible excuse: that they needed to stack the court with political operatives (and maybe a couple sex offenders) in order to overturn abortion rights. Now, they just lost their one excuse.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    11-19-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by yaaarrrgg View Post
    As for the saying "beware what you wish for" ... this also applies to the GOP. It's in an unwinnable political situation now, with Roe v Wade.

If they overturn it, they will lose the vote of half the country. If they don't, they will lose support from evangelicals.

Before, the GOP always had a plausible excuse: that they needed to stack the court with political operatives (and maybe a couple sex offenders) in order to overturn abortion rights. Now, they just lost their one excuse.
    I hadn't thought of that.

I can't see them trying to overturn Roe because my understanding is that it's too established. What I do see happening is the Supreme Court finding any way it can to support the restrictions on abortion rights filtering up from state legislatures. I'm no legal expert but I have the impression that's the best avenue open to them. I imagine there will be lots of reproductive-related cases that will be more acceptable for the court to hear. Though I don't think Kavanaugh is much different than Kennedy was.

There are many ironies to the conservative position on reproductive issues.
    Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast