Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 54

Thread: Trump Reneging On Charity Promise

  1. #21
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    9,679
    Local Date
    06-15-2019
    Local Time
    05:04 PM

    Re: Trump Reneging On Charity Promise

    Quote Originally Posted by YZGI View Post
    She purposely claimed to be Native American, with no more lineage that she has, it's shameful at the very least. There is only one reason to do so when you are 1/1,024th Native American and that is to benefit either professionally or politically.
    You keep saying 1/1024, but that's not accurate - it is said to be somewhere between 1/64 and 1/1024. You're using the low end I guess because you think it bolsters your argument. But it doesn't.

    If EW had been born 5 generation back would she be considered more NA than she is now? If so, why?

    Your argument appears to be one of quantity as in the amount of sugar in a glass of water, when a more accurate comparison would be where the water came from and the not content of additives. Lineage doesn't fade, it only becomes more distant generational-wise, because, of course, time is always moving forward. The 1/64 - 1/1024 number is more a measurement of time (in generations) then it is an amount of indigenous blood level. Yes, DNA is found in blood or other fluids, however it does not measure the properties or density of the liquid itself in this context.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

    I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

    Fiona Apple

  2. #22
    Premium Member tude dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North Central Kansas
    Posts
    3,943
    Local Date
    06-15-2019
    Local Time
    04:04 PM

    Re: Trump Reneging On Charity Promise

    I dare to say, assigning privilege based on genetics is a scary notion.

    Jim Crow any one?

  3. #23
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    9,679
    Local Date
    06-15-2019
    Local Time
    05:04 PM

    Re: Trump Reneging On Charity Promise

    Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    I dare to say, assigning privilege based on genetics is a scary notion.
    Where do you get the idea that 'privilege' has anything at all to do with this discussion?
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

    I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

    Fiona Apple

  4. #24
    Zero mod strikes. HAH!!! YZGI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Middle America
    Posts
    11,523
    Local Date
    06-15-2019
    Local Time
    04:04 PM

    Re: Trump Reneging On Charity Promise

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    You keep saying 1/1024, but that's not accurate - it is said to be somewhere between 1/64 and 1/1024. You're using the low end I guess because you think it bolsters your argument. But it doesn't.

    If EW had been born 5 generation back would she be considered more NA than she is now? If so, why?

    Your argument appears to be one of quantity as in the amount of sugar in a glass of water, when a more accurate comparison would be where the water came from and the not content of additives. Lineage doesn't fade, it only becomes more distant generational-wise, because, of course, time is always moving forward. The 1/64 - 1/1024 number is more a measurement of time (in generations) then it is an amount of indigenous blood level. Yes, DNA is found in blood or other fluids, however it does not measure the properties or density of the liquid itself in this context.
    I reckon that makes us all African.

    Or are we all God?

    God made Adam, God made Eve from Adam, I am descended from Adam and Eve, That makes me descended from God, would that not make me God, just a few generations removed?

  5. #25
    Senior Member yaaarrrgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,262
    Local Date
    06-15-2019
    Local Time
    03:04 PM

    Re: Trump Reneging On Charity Promise

    It is true that ultimately we are all Africans, since that's where we ultimately come from. :-) Which makes racism in the US a bit absurd.

    A range estimate like "6 to 10 generations" is a bit misleading though. My DNA test came back with percentages, which makes a bit more sense (to me). Meaning, it's a breakdown of where your genes actually come from.

    It doesn't matter how many generations ago a gene was introduced. Genes have recessive and dominant characteristics. They are either passed or not. The dominant genes will easily survive.

    For example, there's an interesting cat breed breed called "Manx." They have the personality a bit like a dog, and they don't have a tail. But you can't breed two Manx cats together (the litter will be unhealthy). You have to breed a Manx cat with a non-Manx. The resulting litter will result in "normal" cats, and Manx cats. You can easily tell the difference, because the Manx doesn't have a tail. These offspring are not 50% Manx, the hybrids are 100% Manx.

  6. #26
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    9,679
    Local Date
    06-15-2019
    Local Time
    05:04 PM

    Re: Trump Reneging On Charity Promise

    Quote Originally Posted by YZGI View Post
    I reckon that makes us all African.

    Or are we all God?

    God made Adam, God made Eve from Adam, I am descended from Adam and Eve, That makes me descended from God, would that not make me God, just a few generations removed?
    Well, if any of it were true you'd be God, not through Adam (because Adam was made from clay) but through Jesus (because Jesus's spiritual dad, God The Father raped Mary).

    But, yes, we're all African.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

    I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

    Fiona Apple

  7. #27
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    9,679
    Local Date
    06-15-2019
    Local Time
    05:04 PM

    Re: Trump Reneging On Charity Promise

    Quote Originally Posted by yaaarrrgg View Post
    It is true that ultimately we are all Africans, since that's where we ultimately come from. :-) Which makes racism in the US a bit absurd.

    A range estimate like "6 to 10 generations" is a bit misleading though. My DNA test came back with percentages, which makes a bit more sense (to me). Meaning, it's a breakdown of where your genes actually come from.

    It doesn't matter how many generations ago a gene was introduced. Genes have recessive and dominant characteristics. They are either passed or not. The dominant genes will easily survive.

    For example, there's an interesting cat breed breed called "Manx." They have the personality a bit like a dog, and they don't have a tail. But you can't breed two Manx cats together (the litter will be unhealthy). You have to breed a Manx cat with a non-Manx. The resulting litter will result in "normal" cats, and Manx cats. You can easily tell the difference, because the Manx doesn't have a tail. These offspring are not 50% Manx, the hybrids are 100% Manx.
    You're correct.

    My explanation above is crude, but still accurate, I think. Even if no genes had been passed down to Warren from her Indigenous relatives, that does not negate the fact that she did have at least one in her history. It's quite possible that that could have happened.

    The video I posted yesterday explains how.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

    I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

    Fiona Apple

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    13,378
    Local Date
    06-15-2019
    Local Time
    10:04 PM

    Re: Trump Reneging On Charity Promise

    Why is it such a big deal? Americans go on about being scots american, german american irish americam, italian american african american, latin american etc etc why should claiming to be part native american be such a big deal. It's a bit monty python help help I was more oppressed than you.

  9. #29
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    9,679
    Local Date
    06-15-2019
    Local Time
    05:04 PM

    Re: Trump Reneging On Charity Promise

    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    Why is it such a big deal? Americans go on about being scots american, german american irish americam, italian american african american, latin american etc etc why should claiming to be part native american be such a big deal. It's a bit monty python help help I was more oppressed than you.
    There's a 1M dollar donation to a charity at stake.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

    I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

    Fiona Apple

  10. #30
    Premium Member tude dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North Central Kansas
    Posts
    3,943
    Local Date
    06-15-2019
    Local Time
    04:04 PM

    Re: Trump Reneging On Charity Promise

    Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    Why is it such a big deal? Americans go on about being scots american, german american irish americam, italian american african american, latin american etc etc why should claiming to be part native american be such a big deal. It's a bit monty python help help I was more oppressed than you.
    Well said.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts