+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Positive outcome from brexit

Local Date
    10-14-2019
    Local Time
    01:43 AM

Re: Positive outcome from brexit

Well yes, that's what they went to the court to adjudicate, but you might have noticed the court dismissed the application.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    10-14-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    Well yes, that's what they went to the court to adjudicate, but you might have noticed the court dismissed the application.
    Ne he didn't what he did was reject granting the interim interdict (in english law that would be a temporary injunction) but brought forward the full hearing to the 3rd of september.

The english case is on the fifth in a london high court.

Local Date
    10-14-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    Ne he didn't what he did was reject granting the interim interdict (in english law that would be a temporary injunction) but brought forward the full hearing to the 3rd of september.
    I do think we said the same thing - the judge dismissed the application for an interim interdict. I agree we have no idea what the final statement will say but I doubt very much that it will be up to that court to decide anything at all, both parties will immediately appeal whatever is found. It appeared to me from your quote that you were suggesting the quoted text had been accepted, but that may just have been how I was seeing it.

I also doubt that any court order will restrict the options available to the government prior to an appeal being heard, whichever party makes the appeal.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    10-14-2019
    Local Time

Here we go - hearing today, verdict tomorrow.
    It isn't just MPs who are trying to prevent a no-deal Brexit.

The courts are getting involved too - and legal action will be heard at Scotland's highest civil court today.

This challenge is brought by SNP MP Joanna Cherry and 74 other MPs and peers.

The parliamentarians are seeking a ruling that Boris Johnson is acting unlawfully - because suspension of Parliament is, they argue, a denial of political accountability, curtails Parliamentary scrutiny of Brexit options, and is therefore unconstitutional.

The UK government has argued it is acting entirely lawfully and that this is a normal exercise of proroguing power.

The judgment from today's hearing will be released tomorrow.

It's interesting that the Lord Advocate, James Wolffe QC - Scotland's highest law officer - has applied to make representations in this challenge.

If he's allowed to do so, we're told that he will argue that the PM's prorogation of Parliament is an abuse of executive power.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-49557734
    I do not quite understand how they hope to demonstrate that the prorogation is peculiar, it's conventional and prior to Theresa May it was annual at this time of year. What they may be trying to demonstrate is that the times themselves are peculiar and there's some constitutional precedent that shows Parliament should remain sitting, but I don't know what precedent they could call on. No doubt we shall find out.

Local Date
    10-14-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    Here we go - hearing today, verdict tomorrow.

I do not quite understand how they hope to demonstrate that the prorogation is peculiar, it's conventional and prior to Theresa May it was annual at this time of year. What they may be trying to demonstrate is that the times themselves are peculiar and there's some constitutional precedent that shows Parliament should remain sitting, but I don't know what precedent they could call on. No doubt we shall find out.
    Come off it the biggest change to the UK in peacetime and one that will have consequences for years to come and you think proroging parliament to prevent discussion is something they should get away with? All the brexiteers are consumate liars.

Local Date
    10-14-2019
    Local Time

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17...cottish-court/

" The case led by SNP MP Joanna Cherry took a dramatic turn when papers handed to Cherry’s lawyers at 11pm on Monday night turned out to include evidence that Johnson was considering suspending Parliament as early as August 15 – for several days after that, Downing Street denied that there was any plan for prorogation.

At the Court of Session in Edinburgh yesterday Aiden O’Neill QC for Cherry and the 75 other MPs and peers in the action told judge Lord Doherty about a note dated August 15 from Nickki da Costa, a former director of legislative affairs at Number 10, and seen by Prime Minister Boris Johnson and his adviser Dominic Cummings, which asked whether an approach should be made to prorogue Parliament. "

What's gping tp be interesting is how the request for a section 30 order (to run another independence referendum ) gets treated. One way oir another the UK will cease to exist as poliotical entity very soon I think.

Local Date
    10-14-2019
    Local Time

I notice your judge said no and the appeal process has been triggered.

We're in an interesting place now. Last night's vote permits a vote today to force the Prime Minister to ask for an extension and would prevent him from exiting unilaterally with no deal on Halloween.

Downing Street said the 21 Tory MPs who rebelled in Tuesday's vote would have the whip removed, effectively expelling them from the parliamentary party and meaning they could not stand as Conservative candidates in the election.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49574217
    Among whom, notably, is Nicholas Soames, the grandson of Winston Churchill.

Soames was among several Tory veterans who were deeply torn on whether to rebel after a fraught meeting with the prime minister on Tuesday, but he said he would rebel “with a very heavy heart” because he believed there was no chance to get a deal by October. Afterwards he confirmed he would not stand at the next election.
    Soames was a scoundrel, an arrogant self-centred manifestation for his entire life of all that was wrong with the entitled capitalists who own the nation, and I'll be delighted if I never hear him speak again. He stood against Boris for the leadership, lost and fell among sour grapes. I will nevertheless grudgingly quote from Macbeth that "nothing in his life became him like the leaving it; he died as one that had been studied in his death to throw away the dearest thing he owed, as 'twere a careless trifle".

So perish all traitors, as the Westminster executioner used to announce.

Boris can only call a General Election if Labour allows him to, and Labour will only allow him to if today's vote banning No Deal is passed into law first.

I think Boris is at this moment practising his Kenneth Williams impersonation - Infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me - and that he will run October's General Election asking all Leave voters regardless of party to back him. He is a gambler. He will claim without evidence that he practically had the perfect deal in his hand, that he can still get it, he will describe everyone who voted against him as the problem, and ask for a stonking majority to get him over the finishing line, and even the people who vote for him know perfectly well he's lied his head off. Boris's proposal to the EU has as its central plank that the UK will make trade deals wherever it likes, and no deal from Europe is going to agree to that.

Local Date
    10-14-2019
    Local Time

Jacob rees mogg has voted against the tory government over 100 times, incliuding against theresa may's deal.

They're ****es the lot of them.

"He is a gambler. He will claim without evidence that he practically had the perfect deal in his hand, that he can still get it, he will describe everyone who voted against him as the problem, and ask for a stonking majority to get him over the finishing line, and even the people who vote for him know perfectly well he's lied his head off. Boris's proposal to the EU has as its central plank that the UK will make trade deals wherever it likes, and no deal from Europe is going to agree to that. "

It will come as no surprise that the eu negotiators have no ideawhat progress he is talking about.

Local Date
    10-14-2019
    Local Time

Gotta laugh that in the morning Corbyn was challenging Boris to a General Election. Then when Boris put the motion forward to call one he opposed it.

Boris was right. Corbyn is the first Leader of the Opposition in history to have Opposed a General Election.

I was a Labour Party Member, but after they reneged on their pledge to respect the result of the Referendum I quit the Party, as have thousands of others. I will also no longer be voting Labour, and once again, I know of plenty of others who are thinking likewise.

The majority of Labour Constituencies are pro-Leave. Even more of those that they need to Gain are pro-Leave. Most of those that they narrowly Gained last time were pro-Leave, on the pledge that they would respect the Referendum.
    Labour now need to fight an Election on a Remain platform within Leave constituencies after they have already totally u-turned on their previous promises. Good luck with that one.

Local Date
    10-14-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    Gotta laugh that in the morning Corbyn was challenging Boris to a General Election. Then when Boris put the motion forward to call one he opposed it.

Otherwise the General Election, like the prorogation, would run the clock down to the wire without Parliament being able to affect the No Deal outcome. Why is "Labour will only allow him to if today's vote banning No Deal is passed into law first" unreasonable?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast