Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Positive outcome from brexit

Local Date
    09-16-2019
    Local Time
    01:58 PM

Re: Positive outcome from brexit

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8642641.html

"European Court to decide whether Article 50 can be reversed after judges reject government appeal"

If they were sure it could not be reversed one has to wonder why they appealed.

Local Date
    09-16-2019
    Local Time

Something you won't see on the bbc.

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/world...in-pkg-vpx.cnn

Not least because it's cnn.

May visited scotland, broke protocol by not informing the SNP MP in whose constituency it was, kept the nationalist press away from her by banning them. It wasn't announced she was visiting probably for fear of the sparking protests. The snp are the third largest political party in Westminster it's supposed to be an integral part of the UK. A second referendum on brexit might make a difference otherwise it seems likely england, Wales and northern ireland will have to go it alone.

Local Date
    09-16-2019
    Local Time

Local Date
    09-16-2019
    Local Time

This "backstop" nonsense is a total irrelevance, it's also not needed.

I have a solution, if anyone cares. All parties merely need to say that the British may, at any stage they like, erect customs checks on the border between Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic, but that the European Union will immediately impose identical customs checks on every other port in the UK by way of response. If goods are slowed between Ireland and the North, they'll be slowed to the same extent elsewhere too.

So, if customs rates change between the UK and the EU due to the adoption of different trade tariffs between either party and the other, or either party and any third party, then the imposition of border checks to police those duty differences will just be tit for tat. Imposing the customs duties by any other means will be fair game, but not by slowing or preventing border traffic. It will land the UK with an indefinite headache on how to implement their new trade deals but it won't close the border, because the repercussions across the whole UK would be too great to contemplate.

There. Brexit impasse solved.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    09-16-2019
    Local Time

In a baffling move, the Brexiteers have just offered Theresa May a year's job guarantee. There will be a secret vote of all Conservative MPs tonight, it is certain to provide the Prime Minister with majority support, and no further challenge can be mounted for 12 months thereafter. 15% of Conservative MPs have said in writing that she should be fired, but there's no way on earth this will translate to 50% by this evening.

I think it's all boiling down to crashing out, or a second referendum leaving the UK within the EU on unchanged terms. I quite like staying in Europe, there will be no Conservative Party after such a meltdown.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    09-16-2019
    Local Time

It will be interesting to see how the brexiteers cope with the prospect of having customs post on the england /scottish border. Given the organisational abilities of the westminster government, it will probably be a piece of string looped over two bits of wood.

Local Date
    09-16-2019
    Local Time

For the Prime Minister to announce she'd step down before 2022 is a sign of weakness I'm sure she shouldn't have given voice to. She'd have won regardless but now she will have to carry that burden of a failing leader with her for the rest of the term.

Local Date
    09-16-2019
    Local Time

Now that the No Confidence In The Prime Minister motion has been tabled, the next step will be No Confidence In The Government.

Local Date
    09-16-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    Now that the No Confidence In The Prime Minister motion has been tabled, the next step will be No Confidence In The Government.
    I suspect the first has yet to be won. Or even timetabled.

Local Date
    09-16-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I suspect the first has yet to be won. Or even timetabled.
    Downing Street refused to give it Debate time, which they are not obliged to, but the refusal in itself causes embarassment to her.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast