Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Positive outcome from brexit

Local Date
    03-25-2019
    Local Time
    04:29 AM

Re: Positive outcome from brexit

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8689906.html

Corbyn brought a motion of no confidence in the prime minister that she can decide not to give any time to, as leader of the opposition he can bring a motion of no confidence in the government which must be debated that he doesn't seem to want to do.

Local Date
    03-25-2019
    Local Time

I see he's come out the closet and revealed himself as being pro-Brexit. Looks like none of the politicians will be able to stop this.

Came across this guy

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...y=james+obrien

LBC, not a radio programme I normally listen to. The mainstream media still talks about this as if it is all settled.

Local Date
    03-25-2019
    Local Time

I seem to remember that Corbyn or McConnell said that they didn't need to be out of the EU for the next election, it's the one after that - phase 2 of their plan - that they need to be out for. I'm not sure how seriously to take it.

It does seem to be the case that both the far right and left want Brexit and it's the political centre ground in the broad sense - Lab, Lib Dem and Con - that opposes it.

My feeling is that Corbyn wants to be able to blame the Tories for all the bad of Brexit and take advantage of the Henry VIII powers - which are still in effect - to rewrite laws in ways they normally couldn't. It seems that if we Brexit we will lurch a long way either to the right or to the left. Neither appeals.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

Local Date
    03-25-2019
    Local Time

I don't want to see an Election until after we're out of the EU. Otherwise it would merely be fought on Brexit & nothing else. All Tories would need do would be to promise a 2nd Referendum (whether or not they deliver on this would be another matter) and it would split the Labour vote, thus returning them with a recovered majority. In the meantime they could put any of their other goals openly into their Campaign Manifesto (eg completing Privatisation of NHS, Police Services, Fire Services, Schools, more tax cuts to wealthiest etc) and they would go totally unnoticed. Once we're out, then hold an Election to decide who's going to deal with it all.

Local Date
    03-25-2019
    Local Time

If Brexit does happen it might leave open the opportunity for a new political party to form a majority government in Westminster. I don't think that would ever be possible while the UK remains in the EU.

Despite intending to float the centrist https://commonpeople.uk/ nationally if the UK does exit I'd still prefer we didn't leave, but I'm interviewing constituency candidates if anyone would like to step forward.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    03-25-2019
    Local Time

...the calm before the storm...

Local Date
    03-25-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    ...the calm before the storm...
    Nine days apparently

Local Date
    03-25-2019
    Local Time

I see there's just been an amendment intended to make hard Brexit more difficult by saying Parliament now has to approve the expenditure necessary for it specifically. Before I think the government would simply use its disciplined majority to put the legislation through. Currently it has no majority and little discipline.

Interestingly the similarities between our and the American system have stood out in this issue, I think. It's a bit like what Congress is doing by not giving the money for the wall. The difference is that in our system the government usually just uses its majority to vote itself the money and the more American feeling approach is overridden. But take away that normal top layer of British government organisation and the similarities become more clear.

Local Date
    03-24-2019
    Local Time
    10:29 PM

So, I'm curious what the actual implications are of the vote that just took place.
    It seems the PM is not at all happy about it.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    03-25-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    We are in completely uncharted territory and with an unwritten constitution we have no map. No-one knows what happens next. Concentrates the mind, anyway.

The Speaker seems a key figure now. Perhaps the biggest thing that happened that hasn't really registered was the Speaker ignoring normal procedure to allow Parliament to propose an amendment to legislation which opens the way for it to act the way your Congress does. In our system the Gov puts forward the legislation and Parliament says yes or no, it does NOT propose. The Speaker drove a truck (or perhaps I should say a coach and horses ) through THAT one. But he was within his rights, not used from century to century but still around.

...I think...

edit: Oh. The immediate consequence is that the deal they've been working on (or not) for the last 3 years, known as May's Deal, has died, at least for the moment. That's all. It is an ex deal, it has snuffed it, it is a Norwegian Blue Parrot of deals.

edit edit: But if in 2 or 3 weeks we were talking about a zombie blue parrot of a deal I wouldn't be completely surprised.

edit edit edit: Oh and we might see a lot of parliamentary swearing tomorrow with the No Confidence debate. Cathartic at least. One of the things about our system that helps it survive - or has historically - is that it is very organic. Human even. So when it wants to have a breakdown it can and does. It can also recover. It has in the past but always by a personality coming through and I see no sign at present.

Corbyn's no confidence vote is a no hoper. He knows it but it was expected by normal practice and had to be done at some point.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast