+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Request for feedback on adjustments to FG

Local Date
    07-16-2019
    Local Time
    03:46 AM

Request for feedback on adjustments to FG

I've tinkered and several of the problems have cleared up, some are definitely still present on the site.

Could I have comments on what still needs fixing.

I'm aware "New Posts" is not reacting to posts promptly, I have it in mind to reduce the cache life to 10 seconds for a trial but I'll keep an eye on performance while doing that.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    07-16-2019
    Local Time

Re: Request for feedback on adjustments to FG

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I've tinkered and several of the problems have cleared up, some are definitely still present on the site.

Could I have comments on what still needs fixing.

I'm aware "New Posts" is not reacting to posts promptly, I have it in mind to reduce the cache life to 10 seconds for a trial but I'll keep an eye on performance while doing that.
    Timeout on the login expires more quickly the of yore. Whereas before the new post list was showing threads where you'd seen all of the posts, it now misses some threads with outstanding posts. This post will test whether the editor is still ignoring line breaks. Yes, it is.

Local Date
    07-16-2019
    Local Time

I just got the advanced editor. I'll check whether that's my default but I thought I was meant to get the quick editor. Hmm.

The login timeout applies when "remember me" is not selected. It was 4 hours, I've put it to 8 for the moment to make any error more obvious.

I can't replicate the line break issue. Perhaps gmc can confirm it happened to him recently? ETA: And Fourpart.

I'll watch carefully for posts I've not seen dropping off the "New Posts" list.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    07-16-2019
    Local Time

I just got the advanced editor. I'll check whether that's my default but I thought I was meant to get the quick editor. Hmm.

The login timeout applies when "remember me" is not selected. It was 4 hours, I've put it to 8 for the moment to make any error more obvious.

I can't replicate the line break issue. Perhaps gmc can confirm it happened to him recently?

I'll watch carefully for posts I've not seen dropping off the "New Posts" list.
    The new posts problem shows up best when comparing the highlighted threads in Today's Posts with those showing in New Posts. In general the board feels much better for the changes, especially getting rid of the delay in updating the search lists.

Local Date
    07-16-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    The new posts problem shows up best when comparing the highlighted threads in Today's Posts with those showing in New Posts.
    I've banged at it for several minutes and so long as I bring up the actual new post, not just the thread with the new post in it, the new post thread disappears immediately from the New Post list. If all I do is look at the start of the thread instead of the page with the actual new post in, then the thread stays shown. Other than that it's behaving for me as I'd expect it to, but I'll continue to check.

I'm testing with the same browser as you: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:64.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/64.0

Local Date
    07-16-2019
    Local Time

I've banged at it for several minutes and so long as I bring up the actual new post, not just the thread with the new post in it, the new post thread disappears immediately from the New Post list. If all I do is look at the start of the thread instead of the page with the actual new post in, then the thread stays shown. Other than that it's behaving for me as I'd expect it to, but I'll continue to check.

I'm testing with the same browser as you: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:64.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/64.0
    The oddity way a couple of threads that I had not looked at disappearing from the new post list but still showing as unread in the today's post list. Since I posted about it the problem has not reoccurred so I'd mark it down as a transient and ignore it.

Local Date
    07-16-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    I'd mark it down as a transient and ignore it.
    Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

Local Date
    07-16-2019
    Local Time

The feature tabs, ie font size, insert video, wrap quotes, insert email etc, are not working for me when I compile a post.
    "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
    Winston Churchill

Local Date
    07-15-2019
    Local Time
    08:46 PM

For me, now, the new posts listing seems to be working as expected. It was showing things like "5 new posts" yet listing 15-20 when selected.

Or showing 5 new posts, and when selected indicating that there were no new items.

As Snowfire pointed out, the editing tool seems nearly completely broken.
    Also, adding new items to the Gallery fails miserably.

I almost exclusively use Chrome browser, but can try a few others, if you wish.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    07-16-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowfire View Post
    The feature tabs, ie font size, insert video, wrap quotes, insert email etc, are not working for me when I compile a post.
    My mind reacted curiously to that. I'd noticed in the sense that I'd had my italic command ignored, but I'd not remembered it when listing errors. Possibly because I have no idea what I did to break it.

I'll go and look.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast