+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Shelf life of racism.

Local Date
    04-25-2019
    Local Time
    11:37 AM

Shelf life of racism.

why racism never dies? It has existed ever since man. Sometimes I don't get it, this thing in man.

Local Date
    04-25-2019
    Local Time
    07:37 PM

Re: Shelf life of racism.

Theoretically, because of the ease of international travel, in time everyone should end up as a single race due to interbreeding. The only thing stopping this, however, would be Racism itself, and the refusal to integrate.

Local Date
    04-25-2019
    Local Time
    02:37 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
    why racism never dies? It has existed ever since man. Sometimes I don't get it, this thing in man.
    It's based on fear and tribalism. If you are different, you must be an enemy. You must want to do me harm. You are right Mickiel, it has very primitive roots.

Local Date
    04-25-2019
    Local Time
    01:37 PM

I had the great privilege(?) of attending racially integrated schools. Blacks, Whites, and Mexican-Americans all joined together. Just lovely.

Not everybody got to experience this, actually went to schools with their neighbors who happen to be of the same race. Attending a school with children of your same race offended self-appointed do-gooders who insisted to buss kids many miles away to experience dealing with people of other races. That is especially confusing when adults segregate themselves.

I am not a cop or a social do-gooder so I am free to profile anybody based on all the protected/special classes of people. If that were the only thing involved, that would be stupid.

Speech, dress, attitude, etc and whatever.

It is a survival thing. I am ready to forget the first impression of any individual, be it good or bad.

Local Date
    04-25-2019
    Local Time
    12:37 PM

The simple inherent reaction when we meet someone who is different from ourselves goes back far before the Human species came along. But the the actual reaction many humans have to others of different skin tone or culture has been cultivated and groomed over the centuries. Societies have fed the reaction and used it to keep members in line.

When I was a kid, we lived in a low-income housing complex in Alexandria area for a while. all sorts of kids of all colors and and shapes and sizes were there.
    Then Dad got a job in California, and we moved there. We lived in West Covina, and the kids were all sorts and colors again. My first two years of school were there.

THEN we moved to The South, and I began to learn about Racism and Segregation. The local kids seemed fully indoctrinated in the system, by then. I and a few others never really fit in.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    04-25-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    It's based on fear and tribalism. If you are different, you must be an enemy. You must want to do me harm. You are right Mickiel, it has very primitive roots.+
    I think it explains why some of our behavior is so primitive.

Local Date
    04-25-2019
    Local Time

I think we just need help when it comes to racism, what kind of help differs. I know I need help in trying to understand racism and "why" I am racist.
    As some have shown the only thing that has helped me a lot is exposure to other races.

Local Date
    04-25-2019
    Local Time
    07:37 PM

I think we just need help when it comes to racism, what kind of help differs. I know I need help in trying to understand racism and "why" I am racist.
    As some have shown the only thing that has helped me a lot is exposure to other races.
    The first essential is recognising it in yourself and admitting it to be true, from that point on improvements can be made

Premium Member
    Local Date
    04-25-2019
    Local Time
    02:37 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    The first essential is recognising it in yourself and admitting it to be true, from that point on improvements can be made
    Always positive! It's what I respect most about you!

I'll say that racism is a myth, an invented illusion, and as said by LM, cultivated and nurtured thru cultural grooming. Skin color is pigmentation relative to an environment.

You might ask why the pigmentation persists generationally, and the answer is that that is due to the choice of reproductive partners and dominant genes. It's really that simple to me.

I used to think I was racist, but then I got over myself.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    04-25-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    I agree, self realization is being self aware and in dealing with racism that step needs to be made and maintained. Because racism is a constant once it gets inside. Its shelf life is long because it hides itself and is deceptive in its host. Racism lies to its host and pacifies to stay in place. It lives in illusion. If it's not severed at its roots it just keeps growing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast