Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Shelf life of racism.

Local Date
    03-23-2019
    Local Time
    12:26 PM

Re: Shelf life of racism.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
    I agree, self realization is being self aware and in dealing with racism that step needs to be made and maintained. Because racism is a constant once it gets inside. Its shelf life is long because it hides itself and is deceptive in its host. Racism lies to its host and pacifies to stay in place. It lives in illusion. If it's not severed at its roots it just keeps growing.
    Many people get to be very good at lying to themselves :-(

Local Date
    03-23-2019
    Local Time
    05:26 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    Many people get to be very good at lying to themselves :-(
    Yes and fooling ourselves is a main ingredient in just living our lives. Its one of the main reasons deception has a shelf life. We can be deceived about almost anything for any amount of time. We can be blinded: fooled or mislead in our conscious thinking or beliefs. And not even know it.

Local Date
    03-23-2019
    Local Time

Fear of the other has been there since man began. prejudice based on the belief that one's tribe or people or religion is superior is different from racism based on the belief that ones race based on colour of skin the latter is relatively new you can almost trace the development of it as christian and muslim worked out a way to justify the slavery of fellow muslims or christians. In the ancient world all men were conisidered equally capable-of becoming slaves; but with the conversion of the people of northerni Europe to Christianity the custom of enslaving prisoners of war gradually ceased as between Christian nations, though between Clhristians and Mohamnmedans the practice continued. To justify the continued usew of slaves the africans bacame the children of ham cursed for all eternity. economics and religion are a frightening bedfellows.

If you look at early christian saints a surprising number were black the most noticeable st augusrus of hippo and st maurice (after whom st moritz takes it's name). Anti-semitism is also a religious construction they got the blame for killing jesus to the muslim they are the people of the book.

Racism like all prejudice is irrational.

Local Date
    03-23-2019
    Local Time

As most bad things, Racism generally has its roots in Religion. Throughout the world you will find that the most integrated societies are also the least Religious.

Local Date
    03-23-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    As most bad things, Racism generally has its roots in Religion. Throughout the world you will find that the most integrated societies are also the least Religious.
    Oh I disagree with this so much , your just pinning the tag on your donkey religion. Racism existed before religion existed. The origin of racism has absolutely nothing to do with religion. When a person hates religion so much, they will pin many faults on it and blame it for far too much. I call it " habitual hostile selection". Keep the blame in your back pocket and pull it out continually.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    03-23-2019
    Local Time
    07:26 AM

Oh I disagree with this so much , your just pinning the tag on your donkey religion. Racism existed before religion existed. The origin of racism has absolutely nothing to do with religion. When a person hates religion so much, they will pin many faults on it and blame it for far too much. I call it " habitual hostile selection". Keep the blame in your back pocket and pull it out continually.
    Perhaps you can show us where and when racism started?

I misspoke in my earlier post. It isn't that racism is a myth, racism is very real. What I meant to say is that race is a myth.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    03-23-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    Perhaps you can show us where and when racism started?

I misspoke in my earlier post. It isn't that racism is a myth, racism is very real. What I meant to say is that race is a myth.

Look under "The origins of racism". By Rob Brooks.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    03-23-2019
    Local Time

Look under "The origins of racism". By Rob Brooks.
    Are you referring to this?

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/rob-b...b_1700504.html
    Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    03-23-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    Yes. I think it's a good read.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    03-23-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Yes. I think it's a good read.
    It's true that the Brooks Blog doesn't mention religion specifically as an in-group/out-group, but I think it's safe to say that religion is indeed a group that probably has a history of using race to increase its membership size.

National identity is another area where racism is practiced.

I imagine skin shade (if that's how we're defining 'race' here) might have played a part in segregating groups, but then so might have eye color, or hair color, or any number of differences in traits.

Was Religion the first group guilty of using 'race' as a form of segregation? Probably not. So in that sense, it's not the root cause of racism, but surely, you'd have to agree that religion has used race as a means to segregate, and worse. In that sense, I agree with what fourpart posted.
    Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast