+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Genocide

Local Date
    02-18-2019
    Local Time
    12:31 AM

Genocide

I felt if the Syrian Kurds were to be wiped out they should have some record. I've barely heard of these people but I have heard Erdogan.

If this happens, Donald Trump wanted a wall named after him. I think what struck me was the casualness with which he consigned a people to death. America and Turkey's genocide of the Kurds.

I live in London. If there is a Kurd who makes it here I will give them and their family a place to sleep.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

Local Date
    02-18-2019
    Local Time

Re: Genocide

Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    I felt if the Syrian Kurds were to be wiped out they should have some record. I've barely heard of these people but I have heard Erdogan.

If this happens, Donald Trump wanted a wall named after him. I think what struck me was the casualness with which he consigned a people to death. America and Turkey's genocide of the Kurds.

I live in London. If there is a Kurd who makes it here I will give them and their family a place to sleep.
    Some years ago we drove round central Turkey and it was deserted (by tourists). Apparently, fifteen hundred miles to the south east, the Turkish government were trying to suppress the Kurds and the PKK were fighting back and so people were afraid to go there.

The Kurds exist, they exist in Turkey, Iran, Syria and Iraq and they are persecuted wherever they live. Whilst we were fighting in Iraq they were useful allies. Whilst we were fighting in Syria they were useful allies but apart from that we'll supply the weapons used to kill them.

Saddam Hussain was a dictator but we sold him the chemical weapons he used to gas the Kurds.

Erdogan is an Islamic fundamentalist but Turkey gets the lions share of western arms - mostly to attack the Kurds.

Give them a break, give them a homeland and self rule - at the very least, don't give their enemies the weapons to kill them.

Local Date
    02-18-2019
    Local Time

I never anticipated a day when I might defend the back-to-the-Middle-Ages intransigent nationalist dictator Erdogan but as Bryn says, he's only one in a line of Kurd-oppressors. The Iraqis and Iranians have been well to the fore in previous years.

Yes of course the Kurds ought to have their own state but nobody will give them the use of their own ancestral land on which to rebuild it. Their position is equivalent to that of the Palestinians. It doesn't help that America keeps on for decade after decade saying they can earn what they seek and then walking away after years of promises, having had the Kurdish armed assistance they were fishing for: foot-soldiers whose deaths wouldn't appear in American newspapers because they weren't American foot-soldiers. If anyone's forgotten, Operation Provide Comfort is one of the sorry tales of cynical betrayal in recent years.

The lesson for next time is beware the American Wolf when he smiles and invites you in for supper, he's just as carnivorous as your neighbour and twice as untrustworthy.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    02-17-2019
    Local Time
    05:31 PM

During my first trip to Europe, I was working in Brussels, and met several Kurds who were there trying to gain support within the EU to regain a home for their people.

It seems that there are a number of such peoples who where made homeless by the machinations of the "Western Civilizations" during the 20th Century.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    02-18-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    made homeless by the machinations of the "Western Civilizations" during the 20th Century.
    The word you're looking for is "French".

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    02-18-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    The word you're looking for is "French".
    Be fair, the Brits and the Yanks did their fair share of meddling too.

Local Date
    02-18-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    Be fair, the Brits and the Yanks did their fair share of meddling too.
    Under French advice. Peter O'Toole and Omar Sharif said so. Well, because David Lean told them to and Eric Ambler scripted their lines but even so, it was the French. I'm trying to recall who played the invidious froggy diplomat, I can picture him... he played the same role as the French Chief of Police in Casablanca. My mind's slipping cogs more and more these days. It'll come to me in an hour or two.

eta: I had to look, it was bothering me.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056172...?ref_=tt_cl_t8

and, of course, he was a British diplomat, not French. It was that bit in Casablanca had melded in, that and sheer bias on my part.

Local Date
    02-18-2019
    Local Time

Actually it was both the french and the british who drew lines on a map to create syria and iraq and tirkey (they lost in ww1 remember) with no regrad tom either trhe land or the people living there. Unfortunately the land the kurds claim as theor own is split amongst three states and happens to be oil rich. The female kurdish fighters in particular seem to have frightened isis.

https://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/20/m...ers/index.html

http://theconversation.com/kurdish-t...dle-east-91364

The west has just dumped them at the tender mercies of the turks and syrians and iranians.

Local Date
    02-18-2019
    Local Time

I'm really just calling attention to Trump's casual abandonment of these allies to Erdogan's tender mercies at a moment's notice. A whim.

It has implications for NATO while Trump is there at least.
    The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"
    Lone voice: "I'm not."

Local Date
    02-17-2019
    Local Time
    05:31 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
    I'm really just calling attention to Trump's casual abandonment of these allies to Erdogan's tender mercies at a moment's notice. A whim.

It has implications for NATO while Trump is there at least.
    I know that on my next trip abroad, I am going to try and pretend to be a Canadian.
    It was bad enough being an American over there during the later W years.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast