Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you think President R.A. Trump should consult with the Chinese?

Local Date
    09-20-2019
    Local Time
    12:30 AM

Re: Do you think President R.A. Trump should consult with the Chinese?

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    We already have the tools in place "for employers to check job applicants and enforce laws which prohibit hiring of such people."

What we seem to lack is a way to monitor and manage employers who do not employ those tool and choose to hire the undocumented workers.
    Understood.

Local Date
    09-20-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    That one worked as designed for two thousand years, I'd not knock the notion by comparing the President's plan to the Great Wall of China.

The Israeli Palestinian wall seems remarkably effective too, if you need another example.

Whether a wall is a morally acceptable solution is a different matter, but they do seem to work.
    Most of my life I grew up in urban settings where walls gave a sense of privacy in a crowded neighborhood. Then going elsewhere people in similar conditions, had no walls, or fences.

Never understood that. still, don't though where I live most all residents don't have walls or fences. It is a different culture.

Anyway

People here make their living off the land, farming, and ranching and are very protective of their property. It is unrealistic to construct wall or fences to keep trespassers away so we have laws to punish trespassers.

Unless you question the morality of private property, there is no question as to the right of the landowner.

Then I would suggest the same for any nation.

Nations in part are defined by the limits of land it possesses, I find it difficult to find any question of morality in protecting its integrity by walls or other means.

Local Date
    09-20-2019
    Local Time
    06:30 AM

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    Most of my life I grew up in urban settings where walls gave a sense of privacy in a crowded neighborhood. Then going elsewhere people in similar conditions, had no walls, or fences.

Never understood that. still, don't though where I live most all residents don't have walls or fences. It is a different culture.

Anyway

People here make their living off the land, farming, and ranching and are very protective of their property. It is unrealistic to construct wall or fences to keep trespassers away so we have laws to punish trespassers.

Unless you question the morality of private property, there is no question as to the right of the landowner.

Then I would suggest the same for any nation.

Nations in part are defined by the limits of land it possesses, I find it difficult to find any question of morality in protecting its integrity by walls or other means.
    Ah the joy of living in a country where I have a right of access (within certain limits of course - I can't go through crops or let my dog chase the sheep) ) to the hills and glens and landowners can go play with themselves should they ry to stop me.

Land ownership law in the UK is feudal in origin and the powerful took what was once common land. What do native amerians think of the morality of the way white man just took what they wanted? It's a moral minefield.

Local Date
    09-20-2019
    Local Time

[quote spot]The word that struck me was "consult with the Chinese as they have built" - my English teacher told me the present tense implies a recent action. [quote]

By the way, I do know that Trump's initials are not R. A. but it just seemed to fit with his way of doing things in America - Pres. R. A. Trump (PRAT). Oh yes, I agree with your fault-finding with regard to my English grammar, Mr. spot, but I ain't changin' it !

Also, BTW, how come you can use the 'bold' facility, and I can't ? I am unable to use any of the presentation facilities that are presented above the space used for typing a post. Neither can I use any 'smilies', but I do realise that you do not like the 'smilies', so you would probably not worry about sorting them out for us poor plebs.
    I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

Local Date
    09-20-2019
    Local Time

I wouldn't dream of criticizing your impeccable grammar, I merely indicated how I had understood your sentence. Getting the Chinese wall builders to teach America how to build a wall would be like getting Genghiz Khan to teach them how to organize a rodeo, yes he was good at riding horses with his horde but he did tend to kill a lot of the horde, the bordering nationalities and the horses while doing it.

One dead builder every six feet, the Chinese wall. The Japanese managed one dead prisoner of war for every railway sleeper in Burma. Bad man management in either event. My opinion of Human Resources managers is that they've not changed in the slightest between then and now, it's just what they do.

I'm anxious to get the site's text editor back to click-button highlighting and click-button smilies but it's broken and I've failed so far to find a fix. I shall continue to try when I have spare days. Adding them by hand with the keyboard is simple enough, they all get sent and stored as plaintext. If you use square brackets instead of round, bold is (b)this(/b), italics use i and underlined use u. Smilies are things from this list: https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/smilies.htm

As in
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    09-20-2019
    Local Time

Oh thank you Mr. spot ! I wanted to copy that lot, but I'm not given the print facility at the moment !
    I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

Local Date
    09-20-2019
    Local Time

Memorizing is a wonderful thing.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    09-20-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    Ah the joy of living in a country where I have a right of access (within certain limits of course - I can't go through crops or let my dog chase the sheep) ) to the hills and glens and landowners can go play with themselves should they ry to stop me.

Land ownership law in the UK is feudal in origin and the powerful took what was once common land.
    Whatever works for you is your business.

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    What do native amerians think of the morality of the way white man just took what they wanted? It's a moral minefield.
    Applying modern morals to history at best is problematic.

Local Date
    09-20-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    Applying modern morals to history at best is problematic.
    Applying history to modern morals is an obligation. What else do you think holocaust studies are for, to pick an example almost at random.

Local Date
    09-20-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    Applying history to modern morals is an obligation. What else do you think holocaust studies are for, to pick an example almost at random.
    First of all the Holocaust hardly applies. It is part of modern history. A most horrible event done by murderous thugs with delusions of grandeur.

Slavery has been around since forever, even today.

Was it always wrong in every culture, I dunno?

The Bible's been critized because it doesn't condemn slavery but rather puts some rules in the treatment of slaves. Crude by modern standards, but that was thousands of years ago.

Child labor

That also is complicated, I think.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast