+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Kansas Says Goodbye To 3.2 Beer

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    05:11 PM

Re: Kansas Says Goodbye To 3.2 Beer

I've got no idea what 3.2 beer is, but would the date have something to do with it?

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    10:11 AM

Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    I've got no idea what 3.2 beer is, but would the date have something to do with it?
    Some time, probably shortly after Prohibition was revoked, The gummint came up with the idea that beer should be limited to a 3.2% of Alcohol by Volume (ABV). Most states enacted such limitations. Later states began allowing a higher percentage but classified that beer in the same legal realm as Whiskeys, Gin and the like, and only Licensed liquor dealers could sell it.
    now, nearly 100 years after Prohibition was enacted, many states are deciding that Beer with an ABV of > 3.2% could be sold by general retailers.
    Some restrictions still apply, depending on legal jurisdiction.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    My preference is German/Czech Pilsens and Belgian Abby Ales. After that, I like to see what the Local Brewers here in Colorado come up with, though they seem to have a fascination with IPA's lately, for which I cannot really develop a taste.

Though I agree with the Kansans about 3.2 sometimes. On a hot day, an iced cold light beer can refresh much better than any soda pop, or fruity drink, and not slow you down a bit.
    India pale ale? That's what it used to stand for it was a lighter ale made for export to india - heavy ales are not so palatable in hot weather. We used to refer to heavy and light beers mild or bitter in england the names change with fashion. Maybe colorado has a large percentage of immigramts from england?

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    India pale ale? That's what it used to stand for it was a lighter ale made for export to india - heavy ales are not so palatable in hot weather. We used to refer to heavy and light beers mild or bitter in england the names change with fashion. Maybe colorado has a large percentage of immigramts from england?
    Yes, India Pale Ale.
    That is a most popular style among microbreweries, here. They are easy to brew, and folks seem to love the heavy Hops bite.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

The general range round here would be 3.6 to 5.5 - you get beers of higher gravity but they're not the norm.

3.2 would be very much betwixt and between, too light for a session ale but too heavy for a low alcohol beer.

I generally gravitate towards the 4.5 to 5.0 range and darker rather than pale ales - never lager in the UK but I do drink it in Crete and Belgium where it's a different drink completely.

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    The general range round here would be 3.6 to 5.5 - you get beers of higher gravity but they're not the norm.

3.2 would be very much betwixt and between, too light for a session ale but too heavy for a low alcohol beer.

I generally gravitate towards the 4.5 to 5.0 range and darker rather than pale ales - never lager in the UK but I do drink it in Crete and Belgium where it's a different drink completely.
    Go for the imported stuff. german pilsner and the like. I agree with you about british lager I detest the stuff

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    Go for the imported stuff. german pilsner and the like. I agree with you about british lager I detest the stuff
    There are so many British real ales that I've not tried yet, I'll leave the German stuff until I have :-)

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    I love drinking beer, but I don't handle alcohol well.
    What a wonderful thing when I moved to Kansas where I could drink a lot more without being all stupid again. It was like 3.2 was an answer to a drinkers dream.
    Oh well, must find inner restraint again.
    That's my problem exactly. I have a tendency to not remember how many I have had and to gauge my consumption by how buzzed I feel.

The problem with high alcohol beer is that I sometimes go over my line before realizing it! I hate that! =^..^=

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2