Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The massacre at Amritsar, 13th April 1919

Local Date
    07-16-2019
    Local Time
    01:09 AM

Re: The massacre at Amritsar, 13th April 1919

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    Instead, I think that events of the past should be acknowledged and the existing entities and organizations should be pledging to see that such things are never allowed to occur, again.
    If you start from the accurate basis that Britain under Labour was directly responsible for the 2003 invasion of Iraq, and under the Conservatives for deliberately funding the military interventions which led to the disastrous collapse of Libya and of Syria in the last decade, I doubt anyone of integrity would trust such a pledge from any British government during our lifetimes. Illegal regime change is integral to our foreign policy.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    07-16-2019
    Local Time

"I suggest otherwise. I suggest that the average person in Britain today has a far higher standard of living as a direct result of their forefathers running the slave trade and the plantations, massacring millions of third world first peoples on assorted continents, and operating the Empire to their economic advantage over several centuries. On the other side the average person descended from those third world first peoples on assorted continents is unborn, never allowed life to start with, destroyed by a simple lack of parents, and that those who actually made it onto the planet have far fewer natural and financial resources than they would have had by now if our nation had behaved ethically.

A practical form of recompense would be a transfer of economic power to those descendants. I can well understand you might prefer to keep the loot and live the life of Riley off its back. An unvarnished apology, nation to nation, would even so go a part of the way to putting the matter to bed. "

Sorry still don't same to be able to use the quote function.

You have a valid point but apologising and making reparations is pointless people today are not repsonsible for what was done in the past. Better to put the effort in to making sure people are aware and taking steps to ensure it doesn'r happen all over again.

Where would it end? Indians need to apologise for the massacres that took place during the partition period, all thiose indians that abetted the the british should perhaps apologise to their fellow countrymen india should apologise and make reparations for the way it treats those who are untouchables - not likely to happen in a hindu country. The belgians should apologise for what they di in the congo the zulu shpuld apologise for tryting to wipe out the hottentots and west african kingdoms or their descendants should apologise for selling their neighbours to white slavers the italians need tro apologise for conquering and enslaving most of the european nations - genocide is not a modern day phenomenon. The catholic church should apologise for backing hitler vand helping nazi war criminals escape but it would be nice if they at least acknowledged that they did so. Americans are not responsible for the slavery in the past but thay are for what happens in the here and now. White supremacy is a badly flawed ideology that stems from christianity, tryi explaining that to a racist

There is not a people on this planet that has not as some point gone to war, enslaved or conquered their neighbours. I feel no need to apologise for the actions of the british empire it's a distraction from dealing with the actions of present day governments be it economic imperialism, the stealing and use of other countries resources to profit a view and to the detriment of those to whom the proceeds should rightly go ( see middle east and the oil wars). This kind of thing has not gone away and is still happening I see nothing to gain by anything more than acknowleging that yes we did do this but that was then those alive today are not responsible. Incidentally the troops involved were gurkhas maybe the nepalese should apologise as well.

Local Date
    07-15-2019
    Local Time
    06:09 PM

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    If you start from the accurate basis that Britain under Labour was directly responsible for the 2003 invasion of Iraq, and under the Conservatives for deliberately funding the military interventions which led to the disastrous collapse of Libya and of Syria in the last decade, I doubt anyone of integrity would trust such a pledge from any British government during our lifetimes. Illegal regime change is integral to our foreign policy.
    I would not ask for such a pledge from the British (or, any other for that matter) Government.

And for the same reason, I would suggest that an apology from said government would be equally meaningless.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    07-16-2019
    Local Time

I can just see this turning in to a right wing pissing contest - we have more to apologise than you do because we are real bad asses - if you'll pardon the americanism.

Local Date
    07-16-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    I can just see this turning in to a right wing pissing contest - we have more to apologise than you do because we are real bad asses - if you'll pardon the americanism.
    I think you'll find the ones who really should be apologizing more than anyone are the French. Stands to reason.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    07-15-2019
    Local Time
    06:09 PM

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I think you'll find the ones who really should be apologizing more than anyone are the French. Stands to reason.
    Yeah! When they gonna apologize for Hastings?
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2