Thread: Prom night

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time
    08:39 PM

Re: Prom night

Quote Originally Posted by Patsy Warnick View Post
    Saint
    That's exactly my point the lack of social skills.
    Certainly a disadvantage.
    Do you notice if these students are withdrawn?
    Do you notice if they're the ones bullied more so than others?
    I find this particularly sad.
    Patsy
    Yes, yes, and also yes. Most of them have what I call the "kicked puppy syndrome." they need a lot of attention an are very clingy.

Local Date
    08-18-2019
    Local Time
    03:39 AM

I did attend a mainstream non-fee-paying school, it just had no females in it other than the two secretaries who ran the office.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time
    07:39 PM

Spot
    how & when did you get enough courage to approach a female?
    It had to be awkward - or did you wait until a female approached you?
    or is a female even involved in your life style?

Just curious
    Patsy

Local Date
    08-18-2019
    Local Time
    03:39 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Patsy Warnick View Post
    Spot
    how & when did you get enough courage to approach a female?
    It had to be awkward - or did you wait until a female approached you?
    or is a female even involved in your life style?

Just curious
    Patsy
    We're speaking of a society which is quite alien to the one we presently inhabit. The time was closer to the days before World War 1 than it is to now, it certainly felt and behaved more like 1908 than 2018. Unquestioned social attitudes which would get you ostracised these days were pervasive. Looking around then at racial or gender discrimination gave a different perspective then than looking back on it from today. I started work in an office with thirty men and two women, and those two women were considered very odd fish a long way out of the water history had intended them to inhabit. It didn't even cross my mind that the only people in the building were white and that none but the tea-ladies were Irish.

By the time I was twenty I had a dozen or so close acquaintances with whom I socialized, all met initially at school. Between them they could summon up three girlfriends, two of whom were very distinctly spoken for. It occurs to me that Bryn could name most of the pack. Most weekends I would walk four miles and call on the third for a few hours, when we would listen to albums and play bowls - on a bowling green, outdoors - and walk the industrial river path taking photos. I'm not certain that my mother, on those occasions when she returned the visit, entirely approved of her. She was very arty. The girl, not my mother.

It would not be entirely unfair to describe me as slightly repressed but I mean well most of the time.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Premium Member
    Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time
    10:39 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_ View Post
    It's not. As an educator, it's often painfully obvious when a student reaches the level where the parent can no longer educate them and they join the public school system.

Those students are very awkward and lack many of the social skills and understanding of social cues that the other children have. It's pretty heart breaking sometimes.

Think about it...did you learn anything on the playground? Or in the lunchroom? Coping skills to deal with bullies, or racists, or even the other gender?
    The anti-social label home-schooled people are burdened with is mostly a myth. Three of my four were home-schooled (all are now in their thirties) and none lack social skills, as is also true with the rest of the 30 or so kids in our home-school group. Today, afaik, all members of the group are doing quite well, generally speaking. One granddaughter (7 years) is currently enrolled in a Montessori school, and her parents are preparing to home-school her beginning next semester. ETA: No prom for me.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_ View Post
    It's not. As an educator, it's often painfully obvious when a student reaches the level where the parent can no longer educate them and they join the public school system.

Those students are very awkward and lack many of the social skills and understanding of social cues that the other children have. It's pretty heart breaking sometimes.

Think about it...did you learn anything on the playground? Or in the lunchroom? Coping skills to deal with bullies, or racists, or even the other gender?
    That was my main concern when our daughter and son-in-law chose to home school their kids. However she, being quite the extrovert by nature, was aware of the issue, and had that planned out, too. She connected with a group of home-school families in the area, and they worked very hard at providing a lot of the extra curricular activities and social environment that can be missed by home-schooling.

I was quite impressed by the work she put into the task, and her kids have been very successful. The oldest has now moved on through the local Community college, a begins Junior year at State University this next semester. Middle kid is beginning her junior year at Florida Atlantic U. The youngest decided to enter regular High School for here Freshman year, and made the transition from Home School to Regular with great success. She graduates next month with honors.

Like any education method, Home Schooling depends on the effort and drive of the student, and the family.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Premium Member
    Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time

Most often when people associated with the American education system make comments on home-schooled people they mistake social skills with tribalism. The school system promotes tribalism via competition in both academics and sports.
    Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    Most often when people associated with the American education system make comments on home-schooled people they mistake social skills with tribalism. The school system promotes tribalism via competition in both academics and sports.
    Well, we are, after all, a tribal species.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers

Premium Member
    Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    Well, we are, after all, a tribal species.
    I'm listening.
    Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    I'm listening.
    What would you expect to hear?

Tribal behavior is what being a primate (with few exceptions) is all about. How to get along with the tribe/Clan/troop/neighborhood.
    Establishing one's place in the scheme and establishing social position, pecking order, and such. School being a function of that Social structure will tend to reflect the tribal functions. So the teachers and Administration, being the Dominate social class, will be expected to direct the activities and promote behavior that favors the social structure.

Outsiders will naturally be put under a lot of stress to either prove themselves worthy of being admitted, or encouraged to keep on moving, and seek another tribe.

The behavior can be seen in situations where new kids come into another school, any school, and when that other school was a home school situation, they may have never participated in the socialization process to start with. Pre-adolescent Children adapt a lot faster, but if they are still the outsider after adolescence has set in, it can be quite uncomfortable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast