+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Moral outrage

Local Date
    06-25-2019
    Local Time
    10:41 AM

Moral outrage

I think - I may be wrong, it's only a suggestion - that if you handed round a questionnaire asking what aspects of eighteenth century life were moral outrages on a scale way past any other, the most common answer would be slavery.

My other suggestion is that if you ask the same question about today's society when it has taken on the same aspect of "the way things used to be in the old days", there will be a dead-heat tie between slavery, imprisonment and killing things so as to eat them. I don't think future generations will distinguish between the enormity of each of those three behaviors.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    06-25-2019
    Local Time
    07:41 PM

Re: Moral outrage

maybe in England but I'm not sure about elsewhere though

Local Date
    06-25-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by magentaflame View Post
    maybe in England but I'm not sure about elsewhere though
    Many people aren't enslaved in Australia? I'd have thought it would be roughly the same proportion as in England, and the same goes for imprisonment. Perhaps you all avoid killing things to eat them, maybe you have no slaughterhouses for example. Perhaps there is no domesticated species being farmed. In which case Australia is obviously a gracious society and I congratulate you.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    06-25-2019
    Local Time

Hang on, are we talking about the enslavement of people or animals or animals or people?

Local Date
    06-25-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by magentaflame View Post
    Hang on, are we talking about the enslavement of people or animals or animals or people?
    As best I know, slavery is only a word applied to humans. Other words apply to non-humans. It's just a vocabulary issue, I'm happy to use words in any sense so long as the sense is agreed by both parties.

Anyway, I'm using the term as applied to 21st century Australia/Britain/America in the sense described in the Wikipedia Wage slavery article which has been current for at least the last 250 years. The article explains exactly why the condition qualifies as slavery. In today's zero-hours contract economy things are getting worse, not better. At some stage in the future, wage slavery will be universally considered equivalent to the chattel slavery of the plantations or classical slavery in the Ancient Greek sense. At the moment the notion is derided by - you guessed it - capitalist employers and their political and legal representatives.

Local Date
    06-25-2019
    Local Time

oh, yep totally agree with that then.

Local Date
    06-25-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    I don't see the connection between slavery and eating food,
    Nor me. I merely suggested that in future people will find three behaviors in particular reprehensible. One is slavery, one is killing things in order to eat them, and one is imprisoning people. I don't see any connection other than one of moral outrage.

Local Date
    06-25-2019
    Local Time
    04:41 AM

( sorry for the double post)

I don't see the comparison between slavery and food.

Local Date
    06-25-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    I don't see the comparison between slavery and food.
    You'll not allow me an attempt at serious discussion?

Local Date
    06-25-2019
    Local Time
    03:41 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    OK, seriously, what's more immoral than the devastation of the planetary ecology? Especially since that will kill us all?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast