+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Presidential Election of 2020

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time
    12:27 AM

The Presidential Election of 2020

Perhaps we should consider the platforms of the assorted candidates.

I usually start a thread like this with a photo but I'm a bit stuck this time.

This will do to be going on with.

Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

Re: The Presidential Election of 2020

I've started trimming down the list on the basis of who has policies I like and much to my surprise I've found one. Point after point, tick tick tick, what a great potential President. So, who else likes what Tulsi Gabbard is offering.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    08-18-2019
    Local Time
    06:27 PM

I just can't wait to hear how some of the Democrats plan to pay for all the reparations (Gay & Slavery), free tuitions, forgiven student loan, free healthcare ( I agree with this one) etc. etc.

They sound like they are bribing for votes.

I'm going to check out Gabbard now.

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by YZGI View Post
    [...] free tuitions, [...]
    "The free tuition would be funded by a new tax on trading stocks and bonds", which might also succeed in toning down the capacity of automated trading to wreck an exchange in seconds if it goes into a runaway AI-driven spiral.

And I quite liked In November 2018, after Trump indicated the U.S. would not sanction Saudi Arabia over the killing of Jamal Khashoggi, Gabbard tweeted at Trump, "being Saudi Arabia's bitch is not 'America First.'"

And she's the only candidate since ever who hasn't waved their Personal Jesus on demand. Pavlovian Christianity is more apparent in American Presidential Hopefuls than in any other sub-group on the planet, and I do not exclude employees of the Vatican.

Local Date
    08-18-2019
    Local Time
    05:27 PM

I like the idea of forgiving a lot of the student loan debt.
    When I made my loans they were federal sanctioned loans with very low interest rates.
    Now days the interest rates are monstrous. almost as bad as the paycheck loans.
    Controlling interest rates, and preventing the predatory lenders from taking part in student loan programs would be a long-term solution that I could gt behind.

I cannot see how they will push through any real tax on trading. It's a nice idea, but the Wall-Streeters are not going to go for that.

I am in "wait and see" mode for all these guys.
    The Dems seem to have their own Clown-Car routine going, this year.

"Welcome my friends, to the show that never ends,..."
    [sigh]

Though whoever ends up in the driver's seat of that jalopy will likely get my vote.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

I also note the following comment:

Buttigieg's resume was enough to get New York Times columnist Frank Bruni to muse in June 2016 that the mayor appeared laboratory-built to be the perfect Democratic candidate.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-ca...61626200809-sa
    And yes, I think he probably is. America could go back to having a clever non-confrontational President with a social platform.

As for "a new tax on trading stocks and bonds", perhaps the new tax could be applied to all trades where the stock or bond is held for less than an hour before being resold. Trading stocks and bonds is not a social problem, but profiteering from mathematical models doesn't help any part of society at all.
    Last edited by spot; 06-28-2019 at 05:42 AM.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    08-18-2019
    Local Time
    07:27 PM

Quote Originally Posted by YZGI View Post
    I just can't wait to hear how some of the Democrats plan to pay for all the reparations (Gay & Slavery), free tuitions, forgiven student loan, free healthcare ( I agree with this one) etc. etc.

They sound like they are bribing for votes.

I'm going to check out Gabbard now.
    It isn't necessary to pay for it when all that needs to happen is to wipe it off the books of the banks just like it was written onto the books of the banks.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Premium Member
    Local Date
    08-18-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I've started trimming down the list on the basis of who has policies I like and much to my surprise I've found one. Point after point, tick tick tick, what a great potential President. So, who else likes what Tulsi Gabbard is offering.
    I like Gabbard on foreign policy, however, she isn't progressive enough on domestic policy. I think she might make an excellent Secretary Of State or some other important foreign policy advisory position.
    Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Premium Member
    Local Date
    08-18-2019
    Local Time

Sanders is the closest thing to progressive, with Warren running second, in my book. I doubt I'd vote for any of the others, most of which are corporate Democrats, otherwise known as Moderate Republicans.
    Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    I do wish voters would just discount candidates over pensionable age, it would make things so much less geriatric.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast