Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: You just couldn't make this stuff u

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time
    01:26 AM

You just couldn't make this stuff u

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISt12CEhU_g

What I find most depressing is I am not far off her age and I can't understand how someone can be so ignorant.

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

Re: You just couldn't make this stuff u

There we are. Patriotism summed up to perfection by a practitioner. I've never heard it better described.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time
    10:26 AM

So do you want to import wool and sugar and bananas again from us?

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time
    10:26 AM

And he's a condescending Prick.

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by magentaflame View Post
    So do you want to import wool and sugar and bananas again from us?
    Merino wool is sold in high end sports clothing and the best wine comes from new zealand or so I have heard.

The last sailing clipper ships such as the cutty sark went from the UK and returned carrying wool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25r386EORu0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUhKBZb7A7c

I can just hear the brexiteers calling for the return of the good old days.

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

In 2017, approximately 40 million kilograms of wool was imported into the UK. Net. I doubt whether one bale in a hundred used in Britain is locally produced. We'd have City and Guilds in Shearing if it were otherwise. Brexit or no Brexit isn't going to have any effect on wool statistics.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    In 2017, approximately 40 million kilograms of wool was imported into the UK. Net. I doubt whether one bale in a hundred used in Britain is locally produced. We'd have City and Guilds in Shearing if it were otherwise. Brexit or no Brexit isn't going to have any effect on wool statistics.
    Oh yes? what about things like harris tweed (which will lose their protected status once we lave the eu) pringle sweaters and shetland wool and lakeland wool etc etc there is actually a large fashion industry in this country not to mention woolen carpets and the like.

https://makeitbritish.co.uk/top-ten/british-knitwear/

How do you think we will do exporting with 25% tariffs on it (Ithink it's 25% don't take my word for it though). The textile industry was undergoing a bit of a revival it's demise was not due to the eu.

Most british lamb is exported to the eu. British people don't like it so much.

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    Oh yes? what about things like harris tweed
    If you'd like to check the Harris Tweed Act 1993 you'll see that it's defined as " handwoven by islanders at their homes in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland, finished in the Outer Hebrides, and made from pure virgin wool dyed and spun in the Outer Hebrides". The local artisans are the dyers, spinners and weavers of the Islands. I've been there, I've even talked with a few of them. The reason the Act doesn't mention the source of the pure virgin wool is that unlike the dyers, spinners and weavers, the wool is not local. The wool in the main comes from the international market. Wool production in the UK is practically non-existent when compared to the amount of wool consumed by the British knitwear industry.

No amount of tariff is going to slow down the consumption of Harris Tweed, every ounce that's made gets sold regardless of the price. Make it more expensive with tariffs and it will just get more sought after. The jacket I bought last time I was in the Tarbert outlet was £400 or so and they get no cheaper as they travel south.

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    If you'd like to check the Harris Tweed Act 1993 you'll see that it's defined as " handwoven by islanders at their homes in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland, finished in the Outer Hebrides, and made from pure virgin wool dyed and spun in the Outer Hebrides". The local artisans are the dyers, spinners and weavers of the Islands. I've been there, I've even talked with a few of them. The reason the Act doesn't mention the source of the pure virgin wool is that unlike the dyers, spinners and weavers, the wool is not local. The wool in the main comes from the international market. Wool production in the UK is practically non-existent when compared to the amount of wool consumed by the British knitwear industry.

No amount of tariff is going to slow down the consumption of Harris Tweed, every ounce that's made gets sold regardless of the price. Make it more expensive with tariffs and it will just get more sought after. The jacket I bought last time I was in the Tarbert outlet was £400 or so and they get no cheaper as they travel south.
    OK I didn't look in to it properly. Harris tweed will face a triple whammy, higher tariffs on the imported wool, higher tariffs on the exports and the lose of eu protected status. Harris twwed almosr died out altiogether as an industry brexit is not goinbg to help it much.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast