+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sequestering carbon

Local Date
    11-22-2019
    Local Time
    03:01 AM

Question Sequestering carbon

I have a suggestion.

There's a resonant electromagnetic frequency at which carbon dioxide dissociates into a molecule of oxygen and a very reactive free carbon atom. What the carbon atom usually does is to grab the nearest oxygen molecule and bind to it, but not if it's offered a carbon bond as an alternative.

So if we provide a transparent flat carbon substrate and beam a tuned laser through from beneath, to skim the substrate surface along the underside, all carbon dioxide coming into contact with the surface will dissociate, the oxygen will remain in the gas and the carbon will build up the substrate surface. At around 100 atoms a second at any particular location if my sums are right, given an uninterrupted supply of 400ppm carbon dioxide blown along the gas-solid interface.

That's a deposition rate of 30cm a year building up the transparent solid carbon phase.

So with enough laser output tuned to the right frequency, and a 10x10km platform seeded with 10 atoms thickness of substrate to channel the energy, and some very heavy-duty fans blowing the air, I reckon we can sequester the whole of the UK's CO2 emissions in real-time.

Whether we can subsequently find a use for the annual foot-thick transparent hundred-square-kilometer carbon deposit which is left behind I'm not sure. We'd need to think of a use for that. Heavy duty double glazing panels perhaps.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time
    08:01 PM

Re: Sequestering carbon

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I have a suggestion.

There's a resonant electromagnetic frequency at which carbon dioxide dissociates into a molecule of oxygen and a very reactive free carbon atom. What the carbon atom usually does is to grab the nearest oxygen molecule and bind to it, but not if it's offered a carbon bond as an alternative.

So if we provide a transparent flat carbon substrate and beam a tuned laser through from beneath, to skim the substrate surface along the underside, all carbon dioxide coming into contact with the surface will dissociate, the oxygen will remain in the gas and the carbon will build up the substrate surface. At around 100 atoms a second at any particular location if my sums are right, given an uninterrupted supply of 400ppm carbon dioxide blown along the gas-solid interface.

That's a deposition rate of 30cm a year building up the transparent solid carbon phase.

So with enough laser output tuned to the right frequency, and a 10x10km platform seeded with 10 atoms thickness of substrate to channel the energy, and some very heavy-duty fans blowing the air, I reckon we can sequester the whole of the UK's CO2 emissions in real-time.

Whether we can subsequently find a use for the annual foot-thick transparent hundred-square-kilometer carbon deposit which is left behind I'm not sure. We'd need to think of a use for that. Heavy duty double glazing panels perhaps.
    find a way to apply pressure, and produce industrial Diamond product?
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    11-22-2019
    Local Time
    03:01 AM

Re: Sequestering carbon

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    find a way to apply pressure, and produce industrial Diamond product?
    I think the free carbon atoms will naturally build a diamond lattice if they're deposited right on the boundary, I don't think it needs pressure. The surface will be extremely reactive because of the laser dissociating the surface bonds. All you end up with is a single 500 trillion trillion carat obelisk.

Yes, I did check all the numbers as I was writing.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

+ Reply to Thread