Thread: On the solution of the Northern Ireland backstop

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time
    04:33 AM

Re: On the solution of the Northern Ireland backstop

This might cheer you up.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top...ling-1-6198755

He ended up sneaking out by the back door. Never mind northern ireland where will the uk/scottish border be.

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

It occurred to me that perhaps our American cohort may perhaps be unfamiliar with the ways of our Irish cousins, to which end I have found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC6kcDYOPls for them. Prior exposure to the Roman rite and the local accent would be a benefit but do not, whatever you do, attempt to follow the dialog, I'm convinced the sounds are all constructed on the fly.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    08-18-2019
    Local Time
    09:33 PM

So, if I have been following this at all well, Come October you all are going to be out on your ear, as far as the EU is concerned.
    The task now is to negotiate some agreements that will allow the maintenance of at least a minimum of commerce between the UK and EU.
    Is that the basic of it?
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

Well no, not precisely. On November 1st the UK will be out of the EU and there will be no trade deal in place between the UK and any other country on earth. We will parade along the main drag with our skirts hitched up and see what we can attract by way of hourly trade.

Everyone will continue to export (subject to unaligned foreign quality standards) but everyone will now pay customs at the standard emergency rate. While we were within Europe there was no customs tax on exports to Europe, and with Europe's trade partners there were negotiated arrangements. Businesses based on delivering parts between multinational factories will die instantly and that's a huge proportion of UK manufacturing.

The situation with the Irish border is slightly more fraught. Those with long memories will recall that armed units among the Republicans wanted a united island, armed units among the Orangemen shouted No Surrender while shooting mostly other Orangemen, and a compromise was agreed over blood oaths that the border would remain for ever open to the passage of people and goods. Nobody has dared guess what will happen come November if border posts are erected.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

More than that it is increasingly likely that northern ireland might go for unification with ireland in some form or other. Scotland will have another referendum and quite possibl;e a yes for independemnce vote this time. The latter prospect is beginning to worry the westminster establishment now they are beginning with the kind of bull**** they had last time. If that happens we will be OK england is well and truly screwed but that's what they voted for. We have a dictatorship in all but name and quite frankly most scots will not thole it for much longer.

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

I'd be delighted to see the Union dissolved though I'm not sure the Welsh could cope if they tried it.

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I'd be delighted to see the Union dissolved though I'm not sure the Welsh could cope if they tried it.
    Nor the Cornish!

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

Why would you be delighted to see the union dissolved? I didn;t think there was much actual supporty in ales for independencee.

Most dcots would have settled for devo max but cameron refused to allow it as a choice on the ballot paper. The snp wanted it as at the time support for independence was in the mid 20%. That it got up to the level it did was quite remarkable the dat after the result cameron went back on the "vow" and nothing promised has actually materialised. That any tporey vpters are left in scotland is a source of bemusement. Labour are as usual more interested in infighting than in doing anything constructive.

If the union breaks up - and imo it will - it will be because of a mop haired public schoolboy with deliusions that he is churchill.

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

The thing about independence is that the government which emerges has full spending power over all taxation within the new country.

What happens at the moment is that all taxation, corporate as well as personal, is effectively confiscated by London. All major local assets are confiscated too, and too often immediately sold off through privatisation for short-term subsidy of the rich. The main cities spent generations of local rates revenue building social housing stock in council ownership, building local water utilities, all confiscated and the sale proceeds credited to the London treasury.

It has been a half century of theft and only London has benefited. Why do you think the damn place is so big and so wealthy compared to everywhere else. Ever since Margaret Thatcher formed her government and bought tax cuts with the nation's assets, London has behaved like Classical Rome administering its provinces as a source of revenue and cheap resources.

Getting control of taxation requires sovereignty, not mere devolution of limited powers. Removing Westminster from the hierarchy requires independence. As for Wales, if I were Welsh I'd go for it too. Who would be so foolish as to trust London to hand out a fair share of the nation's public resources.

Local Date
    08-19-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    The thing about independence is that the government which emerges has full spending power over all taxation within the new country.

What happens at the moment is that all taxation, corporate as well as personal, is effectively confiscated by London. All major local assets are confiscated too, and too often immediately sold off through privatisation for short-term subsidy of the rich. The main cities spent generations of local rates revenue building social housing stock in council ownership, building local water utilities, all confiscated and the sale proceeds credited to the London treasury.

It has been a half century of theft and only London has benefited. Why do you think the damn place is so big and so wealthy compared to everywhere else. Ever since Margaret Thatcher formed her government and bought tax cuts with the nation's assets, London has behaved like Classical Rome administering its provinces as a source of revenue and cheap resources.

Getting control of taxation requires sovereignty, not mere devolution of limited powers. Removing Westminster from the hierarchy requires independence. As for Wales, if I were Welsh I'd go for it too. Who would be so foolish as to trust London to hand out a fair share of the nation's public resources.
    One of the things that has become clear is that the tories intend to take back some of the devolved powers and have more control over how it is spent on "union" projects Proportional representation really works something that is becoming clearer to most scots. The snp might not actually form the government in an indpendent scotland but we won't have a one party state with anelected dictatorship as we seem now to have in westminster. I do try and listen to the brexit side and not fall into the trap of only listening or reading things I already agree with but find myself getting more amd more irate at btheir stupidity and/or hypocrisy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2