Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Mudering sprees in USA!

Local Date
    09-17-2019
    Local Time
    01:43 PM

Re: Mass Mudering sprees in USA!

Quote Originally Posted by cars View Post
    Mental impairment plays a small part of the majority of mass shooting sprees here.
    It's a matter of perspective and definition. If you define everyone whose mental framework would allow them to commit a mass shooting spree as suffering mental impairment then, by definition, every mass shooting spree is a result of mental impairment. If you adopt that definition then you can intervene before it happens, if you're prepared to invest the resources.

Of course, if you want to run your government on the cheap and you don't care much about a few thousand deaths a year, you can just blame the killers and save the investment. At that point the deaths become part of the entertainment industry (or "TV News" as it's called) rather than political morality.

You have a slight problem in America in that every American believes they have a constitutional right to end their life shooting up their target category of choice. If you want a national high score by race, gender, sexuality, religion, age or species then America's your place to do it. The last one is even legal sometimes.

A question for another thread, perhaps - how do you dismantle a national weaponry obsession. I have a measurable scale if that helps: what proportion of the films made in any given country features the use of a weapon. That's a constructive start. I suggest that in a country with a lower index, fewer mental impairments result in a mass shooting spree. Give that a fair thought before posting a knee-jerk denial.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    09-17-2019
    Local Time
    06:43 AM

Quote Originally Posted by cars View Post
    Mental impairment plays a small part of the majority of mass shooting sprees here. The last mass killer's manifesto was said to want to kill as many Mexicans, Muslims and Blacks as possible. That's a hate crime, the one before that was a White Supremacists, wanting to kill people of color, another hate crime.
    There is a tendency to presume that one must be "Mentally impaired" or "mentally damaged" to set out on a course of destruction of other human beings.

Many of these people could probably go through any battery of psychological, or psychiatric tests and be found to be fully functional and quite "sane"

Their thought processes are working perfectly, but as we say in the computer world, GIGO - Garbage In Garbage Out

These people are fed a large amount of garbage philosophy, and their "processors" develop bizarre conclusions as to what they should do about the pain and disillusionment that they are experiencing.

So they may not be mentally impaired, but they are completely off the deep end, and are convinced that they must act to correct the problems that they perceive.

It really is not hard to convince a sane man that he must kill other human beings. America has trained an entire generation that there are human beings out there who must be killed, and has trained many to be prepared for the time when they must act.

The disconnect for some of these seems to be just who those people are, and when is the right time.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    09-17-2019
    Local Time
    07:43 AM

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    Certainly a proportion of these mass-murdering killers of strangers have a medical condition affecting their judgement. It can be an entirely physical illness such as a brain tumor. I'm not sure they're all blameworthy but there seems little compassion for those acting from such a disease. People do not get psychoses, whatever the underlying cause, for their personal amusement.
    My only question would be if they knew what they were doing is wrong.

Local Date
    09-17-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    My only question would be if they knew what they were doing is wrong.
    It might be more fruitful to wonder whether they're delusional. Perhaps they can be educated out of their delusion before they decide to kill.

I don't see any benefit in saying that once they've had their spree they're ogres but before they've had their spree they were exercising constitutional rights. The more that society screams about them after they're gone the more their emulators will see it as an attractive path.

The only time they can actually be stopped is before they start firing.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    09-17-2019
    Local Time

Local Date
    09-17-2019
    Local Time

The only time they can actually be stopped is before they start firing.
    When somebody can figure that out it would be a breakthrough to solving many, many other social ills.

Local Date
    09-17-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    When somebody can figure that out it would be a breakthrough to solving many, many other social ills.
    They feel so self-important because the world at large pays so much attention to what they do.

What they do is, in any objective sense, trivial. The news media are driven by sensation and excitement so they play these events up to the hilt but the actual consequence is no more or less anguishing than an equivalent number of traffic deaths, and there's a hundred times more deaths by traffic than there are by psycho gamers.

Traffic reports don't garner mass audiences, shooters do. Watch a better class of news outlet.

Local Date
    09-17-2019
    Local Time

Americans are no more prone to violence than anyone else on the planet. They are not any more prone to mental illness than anyone else. The biggest difference is that we don't allow our nutters to buy assault rifles. There is a shooting lobby and an active hunting scene I know gamekeeprs andthe like who have guns but anyone who wants to own a handgun or assault rifle is generally regarded as being slightly off their heads and probably shouldn't have one.

It#s a peculiarlyu american problem

Local Date
    09-17-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    Americans are no more prone to violence than anyone else on the planet. They are not any more prone to mental illness than anyone else.
    If I make a table of "prone to violence" or "prone to mental illness" by nationality I'd expect both to show variability. Americans will have a ranking, Lithuanians will have a ranking, the French will have a ranking. Unless you're suggesting Americans are lowest-ranked on both tables there's definitely nationalities which are less prone.

Just keeping a rifle at home doesn't increase armed violence in society. Consider the Swiss at an average one per household. Rifles at home is the norm in Switzerland (or Norway, Finland, Iceland, take your pick) while armed violence is low. Your "peculiarly American problem" is clearly not gun ownership. I suggest it's the overwhelming terror felt by Americans as a whole when faced with their environment. Americans in general are **** scared of other Americans and who can blame them, so would I be if I lived there. That's why they call other Americans "criminals" and lock them up in droves.

I'll offer an alternative to the proportion of films with guns, how about this one. Violence increases in society as social inequality increases. Would anyone like to say that's not demonstrably true? Should I throw South Africa in as an example along with Switzerland, Norway, Finland, Iceland, take your pick? And is America noted for social equality?

Local Date
    09-17-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    If I make a table of "prone to violence" or "prone to mental illness" by nationality I'd expect both to show variability. Americans will have a ranking, Lithuanians will have a ranking, the French will have a ranking. Unless you're suggesting Americans are lowest-ranked on both tables there's definitely nationalities which are less prone.
    What is the typical American Nationality? You are better to tell me as I just don't know. We are a big country with differenct accents and traditions.

Just keeping a rifle at home doesn't increase armed violence in society. Consider the Swiss. Rifles at home is the norm, armed violence is low. The "peculiarly American problem" is clearly not gun ownership. I suggest it's the overwhelming terror felt by Americans as a whole when faced with their environment.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast