Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Mudering sprees in USA!

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time
    01:50 PM

Re: Mass Mudering sprees in USA!

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    What is the typical American Nationality? You are better to tell me as I just don't know. We are a big country with differenct accents and traditions.
    America is a nation. The nationality of Americans is American, that's what nationality means. You can take your pick whether to exclude resident non-citizens, that's a trivial borderline. Or non-whites, come to that, lots of patriot white-nationalist Americans would exclude them as non-American. How about excluding non-Christians?

eta: Technically, now that I've looked it up, all U.S. citizens have U.S. nationality status. Also, "Non-citizen nationality status refers only individuals who were born either in American Samoa or on Swains Island to parents who are not citizens of the United States - they have American nationality but they're not American Citizens. That's from the State Department U.S. Bureau of Consular Affairs.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    11-22-2019
    Local Time
    12:50 AM

I thought you were an American if born in America? That's why pregnant women from other countries go to America have their babies on American soil and then go home again. It's a big thing for Haitians. you are an American citizen and have that status if born on American soil. Unlike other countries where you have to register and prove citizenship.
    I know in Australia you can't just be born here and be a citizen. Your parents have to prove citizenship as well. eg; japanese woman has her baby during a holiday to Australia. The baby is deemed Japanese, albeit born on Australian soil. In America you are entitled to citizenship just being born there. so in essence you have Americans dotted all over the world. Keeps their consulate very busy

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time
    07:50 AM

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    America is a nation. The nationality of Americans is American, that's what nationality means. You can take your pick whether to exclude resident non-citizens, that's a trivial borderline. Or non-whites, come to that, lots of patriot white-nationalist Americans would exclude them as non-American. How about excluding non-Christians?

eta: Technically, now that I've looked it up, all U.S. citizens have U.S. nationality status. Also, "Non-citizen nationality status refers only individuals who were born either in American Samoa or on Swains Island to parents who are not citizens of the United States - they have American nationality but they're not American Citizens. That's from the State Department U.S. Bureau of Consular Affairs.
    I understand American citizenship, that we have in common and often that is where it stops. All too often we do not speak the same American English, share a respect for our nation's common History, laws or national traditions, etc.

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    I understand American citizenship, that we have in common and often that is where it stops. All too often we do not speak the same American English, share a respect for our nation's common History, laws or national traditions, etc.
    That's fine, we agree there's a category. The world is full of countries. By all means categorize by citizenship if you like rather than nationalities. We don't do that in Britain because we call ourselves subjects rather than citizens. The French are citizens, the Russians are comrades, the Scots Arra Peepul and the Germans are Ein Volk. The common category of "people from one country" is what I was listing people by when I used the word "nationality". I proposed one row in my table which could be labelled with gmc's term "Americans", as in "Americans owned an estimated 124 civilian firearms per hundred people in 2017". "People" there includes the under-tens and the Hoosiers. If they're Americans they're people in that row.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time

If I make a table of "prone to violence" or "prone to mental illness" by nationality I'd expect both to show variability. Americans will have a ranking, Lithuanians will have a ranking, the French will have a ranking. Unless you're suggesting Americans are lowest-ranked on both tables there's definitely nationalities which are less prone.

Just keeping a rifle at home doesn't increase armed violence in society. Consider the Swiss at an average one per household. Rifles at home is the norm in Switzerland (or Norway, Finland, Iceland, take your pick) while armed violence is low. Your "peculiarly American problem" is clearly not gun ownership. I suggest it's the overwhelming terror felt by Americans as a whole when faced with their environment. Americans in general are **** scared of other Americans and who can blame them, so would I be if I lived there. That's why they call other Americans "criminals" and lock them up in droves.

I'll offer an alternative to the proportion of films with guns, how about this one. Violence increases in society as social inequality increases. Would anyone like to say that's not demonstrably true? Should I throw South Africa in as an example along with Switzerland, Norway, Finland, Iceland, take your pick? And is America noted for social equality?
    Now that is more the standard measure and a far more defensible one - with social inequality come disenchantment and resentment and hate.

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    Now that is more the standard measure and a far more defensible one - with social inequality come disenchantment and resentment and hate.
    With a higher proportion of films with guns comes desensitization and an alarming desire to try it for real.

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time

With a higher proportion of films with guns comes desensitization and an alarming desire to try it for real.
    With social inequality comes a sub-culture where you don't need films and video games to try it for real, the gangs provide the environment where such violence is the norm.

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time
    06:50 AM

Muzzle the Media.
    My gosh how many outrageous murders are copy cat murders.
    The first guy who drove a car into a crowd and murdered people set a "trend", how many copy cat murders happened after that.
    For the love of all that is good if the Media would stop giving step by step accounts of how these murderous fiends are committing their crimes I have to wonder if a few less copy cat crimes would happen. Definitely not a solution, but perhaps a step towards reducing the murders.
    Of course I know we have the right to be informed but how much info is to much info when you splatter the grim details out there and the sicko's get ahold of it and try it for themselves.
    �You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�
    ― Mae West

Local Date
    11-22-2019
    Local Time
    12:50 AM

the same old question Minks...does life imitate art or does art imitate life? I don't think it matters in the end. People do as they will

Local Date
    11-21-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    I am so glad I don't live in America ! It's as if that nation has returned to the days of the lawless 'West' when life was of little value and it seems that the quickest way out of a problem was to shoot first, and kill your 'enemy'. In the UK a gun ban was brought in some years ago. There was an outcry from those who had an interest in guns and of course the gun clubs. It caused many gun businesses to 'pack it in'.

However, licences can be obtained, provided various criteria were observed. Airguns are still available, and some of those are very powerful. There are still ways to get an illegal firearm, and of course this will always happen, but people in the UK cannot just walk around the nation carrying a firearm !

I really cannot see any possibility of an answer to the problem in America, that has become almost epidemic, except possibly a total ban on ALL firearms ! I cannot see this ever happening though, because it seems that most American adults own guns of one sort or another, particularly hand guns. It horrifies me that, in America, large military artillery can be obtained, but I suppose there is a certain amount of ruling over that. I really do not understand the American 'worship' of the gun. It is a machine for killing things, for killing people. Is there so much hate and fear in America that most citizens feel the desperate need to carry a gun ?

As I have said, I am glad I do not live in America.
    I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast