Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Mudering sprees in USA!

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    06:37 AM

Re: Mass Mudering sprees in USA!

Quote Originally Posted by G#Gill View Post
    However, licences can be obtained, provided various criteria were observed. Airguns are still available, and some of those are very powerful. There are still ways to get an illegal firearm, and of course this will always happen, but people in the UK cannot just walk around the nation carrying a firearm !
    In the United Kingdom:

the number of rifles in civilian possession is reported to be 524,489
    the number of shotguns in civilian possession is reported to be 1,537,967
    the number of handguns in civilian possession is reported to be 14,501

https://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/r...united-kingdom

I take it "civilian" means not armed by reason of employment.

That's about 5% of households. About 2% of civilian adults in the UK live in a household with a firearm.

it seems that most American adults own guns of one sort or another
    Just under one in three civilian American households possess a firearm of any sort. I assume the CBS article refers to non-uniformed households but I've not looked closely.

Is there so much hate and fear in America that most citizens feel the desperate need to carry a gun ?
    I'm quite sure that most don't. I doubt even one in twenty civilian Americans carries a gun.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Winter months-Florida, Summer months- New England
    Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    01:37 AM

In America, over the years the powers to be decided to "close the majority of the "Mental Institutions" here. They were used to house those that needed mental help treatment and even many times incarceration. Today those same type people who were in those institutions needing help, are now walking free among us on our streets! Unfortunately, many of these people with Mental Issues have access to fire arms! America needs to wise up and not focus so much on Gun Control laws. And start opening up Mental Institutions again! It would be a hell of a lot better then changing some wording on existing Gun laws, and or creating new Gun laws.
    Cars
    <"LIFE is SHORT, Make the most of it!!!" GET OUTTA HERE!>
    <Love living Large!>
    <Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!>

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

I'm not entirely sure American mental institutions are particularly healthy places.

Freeman went on to develop a new form of lobotomy which dispensed with the need for a neurosurgeon. He hammered an ice pick-like instrument, an orbitoclast, through the eye socket and swept through the frontal lobes. The transorbital or "ice pick" lobotomy was done under local anesthesia or using electroconvulsive therapy to render the patient unconscious and could be performed in mental hospitals lacking surgical facilities. Such was Freeman's zeal that he began to travel around the nation in his own personal van, which he called his "lobotomobile", demonstrating the procedure in psychiatric hospitals. Freeman's patients included 19 children, one of whom was 4 years old.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psycho...#North_America
    I would find it unsettling to discover that these facilities were being re-introduced. I mistrust psychiatry. I think I prefer the murder sprees in the schools, nightclubs and malls, to be honest, they do less damage to fewer people and at least the perpetrator doesn't get paid.

Who needs firearms when you can have an ice-pick, a couple of orderlies to hold your victims down and clinical practice guidelines from the American Psychiatric Association.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    Who needs firearms when you can have an ice-pick, a couple of orderlies to hold your victims down and clinical practice guidelines from the American Psychiatric Association.
    A bit more perhaps, from a BBC story today?

In 1952, The American Psychiatric Association classified homosexuality as a "sociopathic personality disturbance" in the first edition of its Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM), the listing of known psychiatric disorders.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49390011
    And society trusts these power-crazed people? Still? Seriously? Anyone specializing in the area should be locked away for "sociopathic personality disturbance", it would be poetic justice.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

A bit more perhaps, from a BBC story today?

And society trusts these power-crazed people? Still? Seriously? Anyone specializing in the area should be locked away for &quot;sociopathic personality disturbance&quot;, it would be poetic justice.
    Yeah, these places were dumpsters for disobedient and independent-minded women and children mostly. The crap neoliberals come up with is as startling as neoconservatives these days.

I suppose it's about past time the divide within the democratic party came boiling up. The more it does, the uglier neoliberalism is shown to be.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    12:37 AM

In 1952,
    Citizens of the formerly Great state of California could buy and carry firearms of their choice. I remember my mom brutally attacked after work and my dad bought a gun for her to carry.

Back then in the mid-'50s citizens could exercise their natural, civil and Constitutional rights without worrying about mass murder.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    Back then in the mid-'50s citizens could exercise their natural, civil and Constitutional rights without worrying about mass murder.
    How do you come to the conclusion that guns are either "natural" or "civil"?
    Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time
    12:37 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    How do you come to the conclusion that guns are either "natural" or "civil"?
    The natural right should be obvious.

The civil right has to do with protection from the abuse of government.

Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    Yeah, these places were dumpsters for disobedient and independent-minded women and children mostly. The crap neoliberals come up with is as startling as neoconservatives these days.
    I have no idea why you think left or right wing are appropriate labels for the kind of people who classified homosexuality as a "sociopathic personality disturbance" all the way into the seventies. I can't see the slightest excuse to call them neoliberal, whatever a neoliberal or even a classical liberal might suggest to your mind. Could we perhaps agree instead to describe them as authoritarian? Is that a good word for them? I dislike authoritarians.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    09-18-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    The natural right should be obvious.
    No, I need you to explain it to me

The civil rights has to do with protection from the abuse of government.
    Civil Rights are legal protections which has nothing to do with firearms. Your argument appears to be that firearms scare others into being polite to the firearm owner. That is not what a Civil Right is.

Your best argument is the constitutional one, and that is valid only because of a skewed interpretation of the constitution that happens to be valid only due to its popularity.
    Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast