+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Animal Cruelty or not . . .

Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time
    08:23 PM

Re: Animal Cruelty or not . . .

This article adds clarity to what was clearly a botched attempt to dispose a pet's corpse respectfully. How can any society be so damned legalistic that it criminalizes people for doing the best they know?

The cruelty is the way the two defendants have been treated, and it's permanently institutionalized in the local legal system. The system does not benefit society at all.

If there's more recent reports, I've not tracked them down.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time
    02:23 PM

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    This article adds clarity to what was clearly a botched attempt to dispose a pet's corpse respectfully. How can any society be so damned legalistic that it criminalizes people for doing the best they know?

The cruelty is the way the two defendants have been treated, and it's permanently institutionalized in the local legal system. The system does not benefit society at all.

If there are more recent reports, I've not tracked them down.
    I live along a highway where up and down at any time one may see roadkill. One day looking out my front window I see a dead opossum in the middle of the road. Because it was positioned near a curb I feared drivers would swerve to avoid it. As a public service, I took a shovel to move it from the road onto the front yard of an unoccupied house in high grass where it could rot in peace.

I suspect what I did was illegal, putting the carcass on somebody else's property which itself rots in peace.

One time hunting with friends came across a dead badger along a county road. Somebody took the time to place it along the side so it was propped up with a beer can in its arms.

Illegal doubtful, but funny?

NO
    “The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men,
    Gang aft agley.
    An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
    For promis'd joy!

Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time

Here we go, the next part of the tale. It's as insane as the Salem Witch trials, the entire community needs psychiatric help.

“It was unnerving thinking there was a serial killer on the loose and we were all worried about satanic rituals, Garthwait said.

The ceremony will be held rain or shine at the bird sanctuary, but the Halloween Strut Your Pup walk down the boardwalk that was to take place later will be cancelled or postponed if it rains as predicted, Garthwait said.

Animals are encouraged to dress in costume — if they like that — but are welcome without costume, as well, Garthwait said. The event is meant for dogs that are socialized, she said.

Garthwait said they decided to give special honor to Wolf because he can’t collect any of the reward money offered in the case for his valiant efforts.

Wolf also was recognized at a memorial service for the burned terrier, whose remains were found July 5.

In an arrest warrant affidavit, police stated it appeared the dog — named Brooklyn — already was dead when it was set on fire, but was “neglected” during the course of its life.

Two people are charged in the case: Brooklyn’s owner, Latrice Moody, 35 at the time of her arrest, of West Haven, and Maurice Jackson, 41 when charged. The pair face charges including breach of peace, illegal dumping and open burning. Moody also is charged with animal cruelty.

Moody told police she had come home from the Norwalk fireworks to find Brooklyn dead, according to the affidavit. She told police she and Jackson, also of West Haven, agreed to cremate the dog’s body and did so in a parking lot at the beach. Instead of ashes, as she had planned for, the dog’s flesh and bones were left after the fire.

Criminal charges lodged against the couple could be resolved next month.

https://www.ctinsider.com/news/nhreg...n-14557442.php
    Google is moderately convinced there is no further news report.

How many days have those two collectively spent in jail so far?

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    03-31-2020
    Local Time
    06:23 AM

Jail ? For what is at most littering. What is wrong with that system????

Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time
    03:23 PM

If the dog was already dead that was not cruelty but THIS is and example of cruelty that has had me tore up for a while. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tommie-...as-died-today/

Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Hope6 View Post
    If the dog was already dead that was not cruelty but THIS is and example of cruelty that has had me tore up for a while. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tommie-...as-died-today/
    That's a baffling set of circumstances.

Months later a chap was arrested and charged.

There was a plea bargain which resulted in him getting a 5 year jail term.

I think the plea bargain meant that no evidence was put to the court, merely the charge. Certainly no evidence was reported in any of the news articles I've seen.

He got a 5 year jail term, his family claiming he was uninvolved in the burning but arrested on false accusation for a $25,000 reward.

Why is the chap that was jailed thought to have committed the animal cruelty offence?

https://www.whsv.com/content/news/Ma...558575931.html

https://wtvr.com/2019/05/21/jyahshua-hill-hearing/

Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time

That's a baffling set of circumstances.

Months later a chap was arrested and charged.

There was a plea bargain which resulted in him getting a 5 year jail term.

I think the plea bargain meant that no evidence was put to the court, merely the charge. Certainly no evidence was reported in any of the news articles I've seen.

He got a 5 year jail term, his family claiming he was uninvolved in the burning but arrested on false accusation for a $25,000 reward.

Why is the chap that was jailed thought to have committed the animal cruelty offence?

https://www.whsv.com/content/news/Ma...558575931.html

https://wtvr.com/2019/05/21/jyahshua-hill-hearing/
    I heard someone say, when this first happened that the man claimed that the dog bite his 2 year old son but I don't know that for sure it's just a rumour.

Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Hope6 View Post
    I heard someone say, when this first happened that the man claimed that the dog bite his 2 year old son but I don't know that for sure it's just a rumour.
    I expect people wondered whether this or that and it got passed on as this or that being statements. It's why I quite like finding genuine reports of what was presented in court. Usually a local paper will have a reporter there who reports the evidence.

The trouble with having someone in custody, appointing a court attorney, and the prosecutor making huge threats of what will happen if it gets to court, and offering a lesser charge as a plea deal "to save the court's time in exchange for leniency" - it's a lousy system. No evidence has, as far as I can tell, ever been shown to anyone, and yet a 20 year old with children is in jail serving a five year term rather than risking a longer sentence for a worse allegation.

I think a prosecutor can browbeat people into a plea bargain, they get a lot of practice.

Should I believe the prosecutor's office is fair, and that only the guilty get sentenced? Or should I see it more as a slaughterhouse conveyor belt being cost-efficient.

Local Date
    03-30-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    I expect people wondered whether this or that and it got passed on as this or that being statements. It's why I quite like finding genuine reports of what was presented in court. Usually a local paper will have a reporter there who reports the evidence.

The trouble with having someone in custody, appointing a court attorney, and the prosecutor making huge threats of what will happen if it gets to court, and offering a lesser charge as a plea deal "to save the court's time in exchange for leniency" - it's a lousy system. No evidence has, as far as I can tell, ever been shown to anyone, and yet a 20 year old with children is in jail serving a five year term rather than risking a longer sentence for a worse allegation.

I think a prosecutor can browbeat people into a plea bargain, they get a lot of practice.

Should I believe the prosecutor's office is fair, and that only the guilty get sentenced? Or should I see it more as a slaughterhouse conveyor belt being cost-efficient.
    I think there are probably a lot of innocent people sitting in jail. I don't know if this guy did that but whoever did that to that poor dog is one evil person. If you have a problem with a dog call animal control.

one good thing came out of it, harming someone's pet is now a felony in Virginia.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2