Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sincerely held religious beliefs or moral convictions

Local Date
    10-15-2019
    Local Time
    11:46 AM

Re: Sincerely held religious beliefs or moral convictions

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    Explain to me why a non-believer expects a right to be married in my place of worship or even a right to enter???
    The place in question was an "Event Hall"
    They rent their space out to people for all sorts of gatherings.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth" - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    10-15-2019
    Local Time
    12:46 PM

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    The place in question was an "Event Hall"
    They rent their space out to people for all sorts of gatherings.
    The plot thickens.

Local Date
    10-15-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    The plot thickens.
    Yup. yet another example of someone hiring themselves out to do a job for people, who then claims that they can't do that job for people who are not of their ilk.
    Last edited by LarsMac; 09-06-2019 at 04:51 PM. Reason: typo
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers

Local Date
    10-16-2019
    Local Time
    04:46 AM

interesting . We're having this very conversation in this country (albeit not to do with marriage) But does anyone see how weird it is that political gusto is all over the place ?..at the same time?

Local Date
    10-15-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by magentaflame View Post
    interesting . We're having this very conversation in this country (albeit not to do with marriage) But does anyone see how weird it is that political gusto is all over the place ?..at the same time?
    Yep. I've noticed that, too.
    I still think it is some sort of weird residual from the days of Leaded Gasoline (Petrol, I think it's called in your neck of the woods.)

Local Date
    10-15-2019
    Local Time
    06:46 PM

As an aside, curiosity got the better of me. I had to go and look since I had no idea what it meant.

bubba vote n. (usually with the) that part of the United States electorate consisting of white, working-class males from the rural southern United States, especially those regarded as unintellectual or socially conservative.

OED

Digression over. Carry on.

"Political gusto" was very good, by the way.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    10-15-2019
    Local Time

Here in Colorado, a health provider fired a doctor for wanting to assist a dying cancer patient in choosing his death.
    They claim the law which permits terminally ill patients to choose to die instead of waiting for death goes against the corporate Christian philosophy.

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/09/0...in-dying-laws/

Local Date
    10-15-2019
    Local Time
    06:46 PM

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    Here in Colorado, a health provider fired a doctor for wanting to assist a dying cancer patient in choosing his death.
    They claim the law which permits terminally ill patients to choose to die instead of waiting for death goes against the corporate Christian philosophy.

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/09/0...in-dying-laws/
    So it's OK for them to infringe on his religious freedom by imposing their beliefs while refusing to accept his right to his own. Wonder how long before they start refusing medical aid for those whose lifestyle they deem as unworthy.

Suicide is a mortal sin to christians for the simple reason that the early church realised that if they didn't make it so an awful lot of christians would be suiciding to get away from the lives they were leading. Great way to keep the slaves and plebs in their place, god made it so so don't challenge theowrls order and suicide is not an option as you will not get to heaven.

They keep blocking assisted dying in this country as well, not out of concern for the welfare of those who wish to terminate their lives but because they see it as another weakening of their grip on society.

Local Date
    10-15-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    If it is nothing I claim, perhaps you could say what it is.

It's exactly what I've claimed. It's an exclusion for Christians from supplying goods and services to anyone they think God considers abhorrent, inferior or damned. How the hell else do you read it.
    It is illegal to deny service to somebody because of race, gender, sexual orientation and so forth.

Mississippi law or not.

What I can do is not participate or contribute to a perverted ceremony.

That is my right, and I am NOT a Christian.

Local Date
    10-15-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    I don't know whether the venue in this particular case was a church it seems simply to have been a a venue lent out for such events. Don't quite get ypur point as a non believer is hardly likely to want to be married in a church although I dare say one might to humour a future spouse. If the couple had been of different christians sects would you still think the refusal was OK? Living in sectarian scotland I knew several who ended up estranged from their familes because they chose to marry a "non believer" be it papist or proddy both sides are equally bad. How woul you like to get your head kicked in because you went out with someone from another religion or of a different race woiuld you agrue they have a right to exercise their freedom of religion?

Are you saying you would refuse to allow a non believer to attend a wedding as a guest? What about funerals? I have attended religious funerals as imo how someone wishes to be laid to rest is up to them and you should respect their wishes and I would have been very surprised to be told I should not attend as a non believer.

Don't know about the US but civil marriage is a relatively recent development in the UK and there are still many who refuse to see it as a "real" marriage. Born out oif wedlock, bastard legitimate/illegitimate the consequences of religious bigotry colour our language.

It's only in the sixties that Miscegenation laws were ruled unlawful in the us, no doubt there arte many who would like to have them back. This is racial discrimination and bogotry justified in the name of religious freedom.
    Chrch or not, doesn't matter to me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast