+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sincerely held religious beliefs or moral convictions

Local Date
    11-22-2019
    Local Time
    09:22 PM

Sincerely held religious beliefs or moral convictions

There's a news article on the consequence of legalizing discrimination on the grounds of "sincerely held religious beliefs or moral convictions".

A US interracial couple was turned away by a wedding venue because the owner said their union went against her Christian beliefs, video shows.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49571207
    So, was this the intended consequence of the Mississippi legislators when they brought it in three years ago?

I have very little doubt at all. I expect there's a lot of nudging and winking at the after-drinks party down the Old Boy's club this week, along with the secret handshakes.

"First of all, we don't do gay weddings or mixed race," says a woman in a grey shirt, identified as the venue's owner by US media.

Asked why not, she replied: "Because of our Christian race, I mean our Christian beliefs," adding: "We just don't participate. We just choose not to."
    I'll go and put Gil Scott-Heron on the sound system to restore a sense of sanity.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    11-22-2019
    Local Time

Re: Sincerely held religious beliefs or moral convictions

Religious bigotry at it's vibrant best.

All is well in this the best of all possible worlds. Ever wish you were reading about all this in a history book?

Premium Member
    Local Date
    11-22-2019
    Local Time
    04:22 PM

I believe these are a part of the "Religious Freedom" agenda being pushed by the religious right through politicians such as Ted Cruz.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    11-22-2019
    Local Time
    03:22 PM

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    There's a news article on the consequence of legalizing discrimination on the grounds of "sincerely held religious beliefs or moral convictions".

[b]So, was this the intended consequence of the Mississippi legislators when they brought it in three years ago?[b/]

I have very little doubt at all. I expect there's a lot of nudging and winking at the after-drinks party down the Old Boy's club this week, along with the secret handshakes.

I'll go and put Gil Scott-Heron on the sound system to restore a sense of sanity.
    What does any Mississippi law have to do with religious practices?

As long as it does not run afoul of our natural, rights as spelled out in our Bill of Rights.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

Local Date
    11-22-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post

As long as it does not run afoul of our natural, rights as spelled out in our Bill of Rights.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;
    So do you think the religious have a right to dictate what colour your chosen life partner or who you should have sex with? The refusal is on the grounds that they believe interracial marriage is agasinst god's law. If they are licenced to conduct marriages in a secular society then they should respect the laws of the land.

Do rerligious beliefs trump the rights of non believers?

Local Date
    11-22-2019
    Local Time

Perhaps you missed it. https://static.votesmart.org/static/billtext/56232.pdf

It means Mississippians who are quite certain God never intended the bloodline of inferior races to mingle with pure-bred Anglo Saxon stock are encouraged to refuse access to their commercial services. I don't think it yet goes so far as to re-introduce populist lynchings for such uppity lack of respect but it's a step in that direction.

If you feel the Mississippi legislature was wrong in thinking it had the capacity to enact this particular law perhaps you would like to write to them and complain, with a copy to the local clergy.

I know my place.

(In case you wondered, the sponsor and all the co-sponsors were Republicans. Extremely white male Republicans going by their photos, except perhaps Bubba Carpenter. 13.8% women in the Mississippi Legislature, since you ask, which is the worst figure across all States.)

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    11-22-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    So do you think the religious have a right to dictate what colour your chosen life partner or who you should have sex with? The refusal is on the grounds that they believe interracial marriage is against god's law. If they are licenced to conduct marriages in a secular society then they should respect the laws of the land.

Do religious beliefs trump the rights of non believers?
    Explain to me why a non-believer expects a right to be married in my place of worship or even a right to enter???

Local Date
    11-22-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    Perhaps you missed it. https://static.votesmart.org/static/billtext/56232.pdf

It means Mississippians who are quite certain God never intended the bloodline of inferior races to mingle with pure-bred Anglo Saxon stock are encouraged to refuse access to their commercial services. I don't think it yet goes so far as to re-introduce populist lynchings for such uppity lack of respect but it's a step in that direction.

If you feel the Mississippi legislature was wrong in thinking it had the capacity to enact this particular law perhaps you would like to write to them and complain, with a copy to the local clergy.

I know my place.

(In case you wondered, the sponsor and all the co-sponsors were Republicans. Extremely white male Republicans going by their photos, except perhaps Bubba Carpenter. 13.8% women in the Mississippi Legislature, since you ask, which is the worst figure across all States.)
    Thank you for that link.

Did a little research and found it is nothing you claim.

Local Date
    11-22-2019
    Local Time

Did a little research and found it is nothing you claim.
    If it is nothing I claim, perhaps you could say what it is.

It's exactly what I've claimed. It's an exclusion for Christians from supplying goods and services to anyone they think God considers abhorrent, inferior or damned. How the hell else do you read it.

Local Date
    11-22-2019
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Explain to me why a non-believer expects a right to be married in my place of worship or even a right to enter???
    I don't know whether the venue in this particular case was a church it seems simply to have been a a venue lent out for such events. Don't quite get ypur point as a non believer is hardly likely to want to be married in a church although I dare say one might to humour a future spouse. If the couple had been of different christians sects would you still think the refusal was OK? Living in sectarian scotland I knew several who ended up estranged from their familes because they chose to marry a "non believer" be it papist or proddy both sides are equally bad. How woul you like to get your head kicked in because you went out with someone from another religion or of a different race woiuld you agrue they have a right to exercise their freedom of religion?

Are you saying you would refuse to allow a non believer to attend a wedding as a guest? What about funerals? I have attended religious funerals as imo how someone wishes to be laid to rest is up to them and you should respect their wishes and I would have been very surprised to be told I should not attend as a non believer.

Don't know about the US but civil marriage is a relatively recent development in the UK and there are still many who refuse to see it as a "real" marriage. Born out oif wedlock, bastard legitimate/illegitimate the consequences of religious bigotry colour our language.

It's only in the sixties that Miscegenation laws were ruled unlawful in the us, no doubt there arte many who would like to have them back. This is racial discrimination and bogotry justified in the name of religious freedom.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast