+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Raphael

Local Date
    01-25-2020
    Local Time
    12:29 PM

Raphael

I'm starting this open thread as Admin. I'm looking to gather a consensus.

Raphael has just been given a final ban after persistent attempts at annoying the residents. It is several years since the site was faced with this level of disruption.

We have a list of permanently banned ex-members, and the list refers to people in the real world rather than usernames. For reference the complete list at the moment is

JJ
    Someone threatening litigation
    A chap from Ontario
    Glaswegian
    Glen Labella
    Andy/Grumpy
    Paula/Agnes
    Greg
    Raphael

That's around one permanent ban per 20 months. I'll edit if I've forgotten anyone but I think it's complete.

Spammer usernames are permanently banned too but they're just anonymous bots with no real world existence.

Nobody on that list has ever been banned for inanity, incoherence or unacceptable opinion, it's always been disruption of the site. If unacceptable opinion or incoherence were criteria I'd have been flung off long since.

So to my question. When the site has been provoked to this extreme extent, do we think we ought to out the person behind the username as a general warning to the Internet at large, or are we content that people like this should retain anonymity and continue to cause indefinite damage elsewhere with no lasting trail.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    01-25-2020
    Local Time
    05:29 AM

Re: Raphael

I don't see 'her' on that list.

Too bad there isn't a way to gather the lot of them into their own private forum.
    They deserve each other.

I'm all for outing him.
    “The reality we can put into words is never reality itself.”
    ― Werner Heisenberg
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."
    - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth"
    - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    01-25-2020
    Local Time

She's there, I just didn't want to use the word.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    01-25-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    Oscar's there, I just didn't want to use the word.
    Oohhh.
    Sorry, Got it, now. Forgive me. I came here without my Coffee.
    ― Werner Heisenberg
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."
    - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth"
    - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    01-25-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    Oohhh.
    Sorry, Got it, now. Forgive me. I came here without my Coffee.
    The threat of litigation was probably the least of her crimes on this site :-(

As a general stance I would be against it, he’s a right royal pain in the proverbial but I don’t see it as our place to pursue him across the internet. It’s for each site to make there own minds.

Local Date
    01-25-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    The threat of litigation was probably the least of her crimes on this site :-(

As a general stance I would be against it, he’s a right royal pain in the proverbial but I don’t see it as our place to pursue him across the internet. It’s for each site to make there own minds.
    The thing is, without an available heads-up, future forum admins may well find themselves with 314 posts defiling their site before they come to a decision.

There's also the deterrent effect to consider, both for future potential twerps registering here and for this particular antisocial twerp in doing it serially elsewhere.

What we need is an instantiated stance, if that's an allowable phrase in English.

Local Date
    01-25-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    The thing is, without an available heads-up, future forum admins may well find themselves with 314 posts defiling their site before they come to a decision.

There's also the deterrent effect to consider, both for future potential twerps registering here and for this particular antisocial twerp in doing it serially elsewhere.

What we need is a particular instantiated stance, if that's an allowable phrase in English.
    Theoretically, what he is doing is a form of SPAM, not unlike the antics of Xfrod...

Reporting him on the stopforumspam function might at least give them a heads-up.

I see he is currently on a temporary Ban.
    At the least, I vote to make that permanent.
    ― Werner Heisenberg
    - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth"
    - Rudy Giuliani

Local Date
    01-25-2020
    Local Time

I am curious
    His settings indicate that he receives a daily notification of replies to threads in which he is "subscribed"
    Will that continue even with his 'banned' status?
    ― Werner Heisenberg
    - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth"
    - Rudy Giuliani

Premium Member
    Local Date
    01-25-2020
    Local Time
    07:29 AM

You put this where he can read it, I see. Good idea!

Raffy, perhaps when you get all this silliness out of your system and grow up a bit, you'll come back. Many of us have been nuisances online. Allow this to be learning experience. Spot and Bryn are about as patient as you'll come across, so don't be shy if or when you decide to give this another go.

In the meantime, I wish you the best, my friend.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    01-25-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    You put this where he can read it, I see. Good idea!

Raffy, perhaps when you get all this silliness out of your system and grow up a bit, you'll come back. Many of us have been nuisances online. Allow this to be learning experience. Spot and Bryn are about as patient as you'll come across, so don't be shy if or when you decide to give this another go.

In the meantime, I wish you the best, my friend.
    Actually, this can only be read by supporting members, which Raphael is not.
    ― Werner Heisenberg
    - Will Rogers
    "Truth isn't Truth"
    - Rudy Giuliani

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast