Thread: Greta Thunberg Is Time's Person Of The Year for 2019

Premium Member
    Local Date
    02-25-2020
    Local Time
    10:50 AM

Re: Greta Thunberg Is Time's Person Of The Year for 2019

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    What is amazing is how easy it is to create a panic so as to profit from a natural event.
    Who's creating the panic and to what end?
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    02-25-2020
    Local Time
    08:50 AM

Nothing new about climate change What is amazing is how easy it is to create a panic so as to profit from a natural event.
    So, a hurricane is a natural event. IF you do not prepare for one when it is coming at you, it may not end well.

The Natural Climate change would likely not be nearly as big a deal, if the last 100 years of Humans burning Petro Chemicals with impunity had not accelerated the process. And, if we continue on the same course for the next 100 years, our offspring may not like the world we will have made for them.
    "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - Anon

Local Date
    02-25-2020
    Local Time
    03:50 PM

Nothing new about climate change What is amazing is how easy it is to create a panic so as to profit from a natural event.
    Climate always changes but every time that it has changed at anything approaching this rate all species over twenty five kg average adult weight have become extinct.

Local Date
    02-25-2020
    Local Time
    03:50 PM

I have yet to hear anyone who claims climate warning is a hoax explain why they think it is and what it is about the scientific studies they find unconvincing - be it methodology or conclusion.

Just saying it is a hoax over and over again is not much of a coumter argument.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    02-25-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    I have yet to hear anyone who claims climate warning is a hoax explain why they think it is and what it is about the scientific studies they find unconvincing - be it methodology or conclusion.

Just saying it is a hoax over and over again is not much of a counter argument.
    It's probably just a parroting of Don jr. It's probably assumed he knows since he has all that money.
    Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    02-25-2020
    Local Time
    09:50 AM

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    So, a hurricane is a natural event. IF you do not prepare for one when it is coming at you, it may not end well.

The Natural Climate change would likely not be nearly as big a deal, if the last 100 years of Humans burning Petro Chemicals with impunity had not accelerated the process. And, if we continue on the same course for the next 100 years, our offspring may not like the world we will have made for them.
    A hundred years from now?

In 1909

“The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men,
    Gang aft agley.
    An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
    For promis'd joy!

Local Date
    02-25-2020
    Local Time

A hundred years from now?

In 1909

An interesting point:
    If that second photo was taken in 2009, that was at about the point where the CO2 concentration reached the peak level as recorded via Ice Core Sample from Vostok in the last nearly 500 thousand years.
    We have no data to show what happens when the levels get that high. We have no record of that ever happening.

We do know that the concentration level rise has accelerated phenomenally over the last 110 years.
    In 1810 the levels were at ~284 ppm
    In 1909, they were at 300 ppm - about 16 ppm more than 100 years before.
    in the next 100 years they increased to 387 ppm, as I pointed out earlier, that is near the highest we have seen in nearly half a millennium.
    In the last ten years, it has increased to 411 ppm, a change of 24 ppm, half again the change we saw in the hundred years prior to your first picture being taken.

I suggest you might want to take another picture this year and then another each decade to come. It might be very interesting.
    Or not.
    "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - Anon

Premium Member
    Local Date
    02-25-2020
    Local Time

An interesting point
    What exactly is his point? How is anyone to know without an explanation? What I see is two photos, and the only fact of that is that cameras, film and film processing has been enhanced over time.

How about a bit of background explanation and an actual argument in the form of text?
    Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Local Date
    02-25-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    What exactly is his point? How is anyone to know without an explanation? What I see is two photos, and the only fact of that is that cameras, film and film processing has been enhanced over time.

How about a bit of background explanation and an actual argument in the form of text?

It seemed rather obvious, to me.
    He is replying to my comment:
    He is trying to show that over the last hundred years, there has been little substantial change in the average day in the little corner of Kansas that he inhabits.
    He therefore intuits that all of the extraction and exploitation of petroleum during that time is of no consequence to the world in general. And, he presumes that the next hundred years will likewise experience little significant change, as well.

There are many locations on the planet where such reasoning abounds. I have had the same, or similar discussions with a number of relatives who live in other regions around the country.
    - Anon

Premium Member
    Local Date
    02-25-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    It seemed rather obvious, to me.
    He is replying to my comment:

He is trying to show that over the last hundred years, there has been little substantial change in the average day in the little corner of Kansas that he inhabits.
    He therefore intuits that all of the extraction and exploitation of petroleum during that time is of no consequence to the world in general. And, he presumes that the next hundred years will likewise experience little significant change, as well.

There are many locations on the planet where such reasoning abounds. I have had the same, or similar discussions with a number of relatives who live in other regions around the country.
    FFS - this is absurd! You make the leap that since you've had certain discussions with others regarding climate change, that the posting of two photos taken 100 years apart without any background or explanation other than your post containing a reference of 100 years from someone completely ignorant of the subject matter says all that? Sorry dude, if this were a court of law you'd be admonished for leading the witness, not just leading, but testifying for the witness. Why is it left up to you to explain to the rest of us what TD is thinking? Isn't that what he should be doing?

Give me a break! However, now I see a "yeah, what he said" cartoon coming.

For all we know, given TD's reputation and past behaviors, I'd say he's making a case for landscaping or showing us the building he used to work in more so than anything else. He does have a tendency to conflate things that are foreign and out of context to discussions.
    Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast