Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Russian Gummint quits?

  1. #1
    Proudly humble LarsMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    usually on the road to somewhere.
    Posts
    11,398
    Local Date
    04-02-2020
    Local Time
    12:25 AM

    Russian Gummint quits?

    This was an interesting thing to find, first thing this AM.

    Russian government resigns as Vladimir Putin plans future

    Russia's government has resigned, hours after President Vladimir Putin proposed sweeping constitutional changes that could prolong his stay in power.

    PM Dmitry Medvedev said the president's proposals would significantly change Russia's balance of power.

    Mr Putin asked Mr Medvedev to become deputy head of the National Security Council, which is chaired by Mr Putin.

    The president later nominated tax service chief Mikhail Mishustin to replace Mr Medvedev as prime minister.

    The unexpected announcement comes four years before Mr Putin's fourth term of office is due to end.

    Under the existing constitution, he would not be entitled to another term.

    The Russian leader said during a speech to both chambers of parliament that there would be a nationwide vote on changes that would shift power from the presidency to parliament.

    Russian government sources told the BBC that ministers did not know about the government's resignation ahead of the announcement.
    "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - Anon

  2. #2
    Supporting Member tabby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,508
    Local Date
    04-02-2020
    Local Time
    02:25 AM

    Re: Russian Gummint quits?

    Lars, I thought this would be a bigger news story than it has turned out to be. Aside from the initial reports, I've seen little to no coverage of the event. Not sure if that's by design or simple disinterest. Putin is very wily to say the least and I would expect more interest in the maneuverings of their government.

  3. #3
    Proudly humble LarsMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    usually on the road to somewhere.
    Posts
    11,398
    Local Date
    04-02-2020
    Local Time
    12:25 AM

    Re: Russian Gummint quits?

    I agree. It seems rather spooky that so little reacion has been reported.

    "Russian government sources told the BBC that ministers did not know about the government's resignation ahead of the announcement."

    I've read that line a dozen times, and it seems weirder the more often that I read it.
    "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - Anon

  4. #4
    Supporting Member tabby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,508
    Local Date
    04-02-2020
    Local Time
    02:25 AM

    Re: Russian Gummint quits?

    It does sound weird and slightly incredible.

    There's nothing to see here, move along!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    13,550
    Local Date
    04-02-2020
    Local Time
    07:25 AM

    Re: Russian Gummint quits?

    I'm more concerned about trump wrecking the us constitution and (I see his defence team now claim abuse of power is not impeachable) what will happen if he doesn't win the next election or he loses it (again) and wins by the electoral college votes. His followers are armed and not very sane .

    Meanwhile in the UK we have a fascist government in control goodbye NHS, Human rights legislation employment protection legislation health and safety legislation. Russia might invade ukraine or try and take back it's old empire but I doubt it. Russian politics are the least of the things we have to worry about

  6. #6
    Premium Member tude dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North Central Kansas
    Posts
    4,083
    Local Date
    04-02-2020
    Local Time
    01:25 AM

    Re: Russian Gummint quits?

    Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    This was an interesting thing to find, first thing this AM.

    Russian government resigns as Vladimir Putin plans future

    Russia's government has resigned, hours after President Vladimir Putin proposed sweeping constitutional changes that could prolong his stay in power.

    PM Dmitry Medvedev said the president's proposals would significantly change Russia's balance of power.

    Mr Putin asked Mr Medvedev to become deputy head of the National Security Council, which is chaired by Mr Putin.

    The president later nominated tax service chief Mikhail Mishustin to replace Mr Medvedev as prime minister.

    The unexpected announcement comes four years before Mr Putin's fourth term of office is due to end.

    Under the existing constitution, he would not be entitled to another term.

    The Russian leader said during a speech to both chambers of parliament that there would be a nationwide vote on changes that would shift power from the presidency to parliament.

    Russian government sources told the BBC that ministers did not know about the government's resignation ahead of the announcement.
    Ido not follow Russian politics.

    Reminds me of the old days of figuring who is on the in or out on May Day.


    “The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men,
    Gang aft agley.
    An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
    For promis'd joy!

  7. #7
    Premium Member tude dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North Central Kansas
    Posts
    4,083
    Local Date
    04-02-2020
    Local Time
    01:25 AM

    Re: Russian Gummint quits?

    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    I'm more concerned about trump wrecking the us constitution
    He has many claims, wrecking the Constituton would not only a biggie under his belt but be the end of our Republic.

    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    and (I see his defence team now claim abuse of power is not impeachable)
    If it were just about everey preisidnet could be removed.


    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    what will happen if he doesn't win the next election or he loses it (again) and wins by the electoral college votes. His followers are armed and not very sane .
    ? ? ?

    Meanwhile in the UK we have a fascist government in control goodbye NHS, Human rights legislation employment protection legislation health and safety legislation. Russia might invade ukraine or try and take back it's old empire but I doubt it. Russian politics are the least of the things we have to worry about[/QUOTE]
    “The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men,
    Gang aft agley.
    An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
    For promis'd joy!

  8. #8
    Proudly humble LarsMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    usually on the road to somewhere.
    Posts
    11,398
    Local Date
    04-02-2020
    Local Time
    12:25 AM

    Re: Russian Gummint quits?

    Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    Ido not follow Russian politics.

    Reminds me of the old days of figuring who is on the in or out on May Day.


    You don't have to be a student of Russian politics to see the oddity of that article.
    Just slowly read each of those sentences and study what they are actually saying. And then think about the message in the article.

    Obviously, Russia does things a bit differently that many other countries.
    "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - Anon

  9. #9
    Senior Member Saint_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The High Rockies
    Posts
    3,279
    Local Date
    04-02-2020
    Local Time
    12:25 AM

    Re: Russian Gummint quits?

    Quote Originally Posted by tabby View Post
    Lars, I thought this would be a bigger news story than it has turned out to be. Aside from the initial reports, I've seen little to no coverage of the event. Not sure if that's by design or simple disinterest. Putin is very wily to say the least and I would expect more interest in the maneuverings of their government.
    I agree...it is weird that this was glossed over and forgotten. To me, it's clearly Putin trying to make sure he still has hands on the reins of power even after he expires his term limits. But he can't outright make himself dictator...too many people remember Stalin.

    Or CAN he?!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    13,550
    Local Date
    04-02-2020
    Local Time
    07:25 AM

    Re: Russian Gummint quits?

    Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint_ View Post
    I agree...it is weird that this was glossed over and forgotten. To me, it's clearly Putin trying to make sure he still has hands on the reins of power even after he expires his term limits. But he can't outright make himself dictator...too many people remember Stalin.

    Or CAN he?!
    Yes he can.

    Trump is going for it in america hope he hets stopped.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts