Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Not with a Bang, but with a Sneeze?

Local Date
    04-09-2020
    Local Time
    06:06 PM

Re: Not with a Bang, but with a Sneeze?

The Rest of the World figure is going up a hundred a day recently, and none of that is related to cruises. Much relates to South Korea.

In South Korea, prime minister Chung Se-kyun said the country was entering an emergency phase following a surge in infections that has been linked to a controversial church.

Mass gatherings have been banned, and all kindergartens and libraries closed in Daegu, a city that is home to 2.5 million people and lies two hours from Seoul. Soldiers in the city have also been forbidden from leaving their barracks after several military personnel tested positive.

A further 52 new cases were reported by officials on Friday, bringing the national total of confirmed patients to 156. Most are concentrated in Daegu, where a wave of infections have been linked to a 61-year-old woman, known as “Patient 31”. The patient is reported to have attended a church, an incident health officials have described as a “super-spreading event”.

More than 400 members of the church, a branch of the Shincheonji Church of Jesus, which is often accused of being a cult, are showing symptoms of the disease. Tests were still ongoing, according to the city’s mayor, Kwon Young-jin.

On Friday, the city’s streets were mostly deserted, as people were urged to stay at home and wear masks, even indoors. Military medical staff are also being deployed to Daegu and neighbouring Cheongdo county, and isolation facilities are being created.

“It’s like someone dropped a bomb in the middle of the city,” resident Kim Geun-woo, 28, told Reuters by telephone. “It looks like a zombie apocalypse.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-china-prisons

Indonesia, of course, is still totally free of the disease. It will go up like a bonfire when they finally take their heads out of the sand.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    04-09-2020
    Local Time

Dates for your calendar.

In 2020, Easter Sunday falls on April 12. It's free to attend all the masses at the Vatican (Palm Sunday Mass, Chrismal Mass on Holy Thursday, Papal Mass on Good Friday, Holy Saturday Mass and Easter Sunday Mass).

Passover in 2020 will start on Thursday, the 9th of April (9/4/2020) and will continue for 7 days until Wednesday, the 15th of April. Jerusalem is a popular destination for Passover and the city welcomes its guests with an amazing array of activities and events.

Buddha's Birthday in 2020 is on the Thursday, 7th of May. Buddhist temples are decorated with flags and flowers. The devotees are expected to assemble in temples before dawn. The ceremonial rituals like hoisting the Buddhist flag and the bathing of the Lord Buddha are done. The monks chant the hymns of the holy triple gem: The Buddha, The Dharma (his teachings) and The Sangha (his disciples). In evening, various candlelit processions are organized in the streets.

Hajj 2020 will commence from the evening of Tuesday, July 28, 2020 and will continue till the evening of Sunday, August 2, 2020.

And then the Mumbai Ganesh Festival, August 22-September 1, 2020.

Might we cancel religious gatherings for 2020 please?

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Local Date
    04-09-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    And indeed since the reset of the mainland China reported cases, the number of reported cases has dropped daily. That's the sixth consecutive day downward. A very impressive achievement.
    Have you noticed that Hubei have stopped reporting clinical cases but the numbers have not reduced at any point.

Local Date
    04-09-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    Have you noticed that Hubei have stopped reporting clinical cases but the numbers have not reduced at any point.
    No, I'm not sure where to look for that.

I did notice "China is planning a bigger trial for anti-malaria drug chloroquine phosphate after clinical trials in Beijing and Guangdong Province showed initial positive results for 135 patients in treating the virus." though. At https://www.investors.com/news/virus...-hubei-update/ - I have a pack of that in the lab somewhere.

Local Date
    04-09-2020
    Local Time

No, I'm not sure where to look for that.

I did notice "China is planning a bigger trial for anti-malaria drug chloroquine phosphate after clinical trials in Beijing and Guangdong Province showed initial positive results for 135 patients in treating the virus." though. At https://www.investors.com/news/virus...-hubei-update/ - I have a pack of that in the lab somewhere.
    During 10–18 February 2020, the data includes the cases in Hubei that were not tested for the virus but clinically diagnosed based on medical imaging showing signs of pneumonia.[1]
    The clinically diagnosed data was also separately available for 10-11 February 2020.[2]
    Data since 19 Feb include tested cases only, as the new NHC guidelines removed the category.[3]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeli...ase_statistics

Local Date
    04-09-2020
    Local Time

I'd not seen that page before, it has some good tables on it.

Local Date
    04-09-2020
    Local Time

A sudden and unexpected twenty new cases in the USA.

Those and the continuing explosion in South Korea account for almost all of the new cases over the past two days.

Local Date
    04-09-2020
    Local Time
    11:06 AM

The issue of mortality is an odd one. If ten percent of the people entering hospital come out as corpses then the initial temptation might be to say there's a 10% mortality, but perhaps only the most unwell people have gone in to begin with. Maybe there's ten times as many people who catch the disease but don't get admitted and just recover, in which case the mortality rate is better expressed as 1%. You pays your money and you takes your chances.
    That is actually the weak link in the whole process. People can very likely contract the thing, but have a "mild case" of it. Much like any of the other respiratory bugs floating around. I think someone suggested that the ones who actually report to health care providers and recieve a diagnosis may be as low as ten percent of the actual cases of exposure.
    The undiagnosed "Carriers" then go on with their daily activities, sharing the thing with co-workers, shop attendants and friends, Church members, and the like.

I'm not really worried for myself, as I have a fully functional immune system. But, my wife and her sister both have somewhat less sturdy systems, and are more susceptable to such attacks.
    "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - Anon

Local Date
    04-09-2020
    Local Time
    11:06 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    A sudden and unexpected twenty new cases in the USA.

Those and the continuing explosion in South Korea account for almost all of the new cases over the past two days.
    Most of the new cases in the US appear to be "refugees" from the Diamond Princess.
    11 were transported to the University of Nebraska medical Center in Ashland, NE.
    Thee is a new isolation center there, specifically designed for infectious diseases.
    "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - Anon

Local Date
    04-09-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    A spokesman for the Foreign Office said: “The welfare of all British nationals is of the highest priority to the UK government.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...th-toll-latest
    Oh goodness me. Oh what cobblers. That's as grotesque a lie as you could hope to see in a month of Sundays.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast