Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Expanse

Local Date
    02-22-2020
    Local Time
    04:18 PM

The Expanse

The Expanse is a series that was originally commissioned by the Sy-Fy channel

It is now showing on Amazon Prime video.

I am 6 episodes in and I am hooked.

The effects are quite amazing, and the Physics are very close to accurate(very important for a space flick)
    I think that it is worth the time investment to check it out. It is even worth paying for, IMHO.

The setting is two centuries in the future, when Earth has colonized Mars, which has rapidly become a force to be reckoned with, and the colonies of miners(Belters) in the Asteroid belt are developing their own collective identity.

There is not a lot of set-up, or introductory story telling. You are dropped right smack-dab into the middle of an unfolding story, and you have to figure it out as it goes along, right alongside the characters.
    "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - Anon

Local Date
    02-22-2020
    Local Time
    05:18 PM

Re: The Expanse

I have seen commercials on this. I'll check it out.
    “The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men,
    Gang aft agley.
    An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
    For promis'd joy!

Local Date
    02-22-2020
    Local Time
    11:18 PM

From what I recall, the chap with the hat puts in a startlingly good performance. I mean not just pretty neat but wow that was acting.

Were it suited to a younger audience I'd have shown it to my lad but it's not, by a big margin.

A very long time ago I even red the novels.

It has the odd attribute that the plot is transparent and the denouement crystal clear from very early on, in terms of whodunnit and how big a mistake the choice will prove, but that the lack of suspense is irrelevant to the satisfaction of the telling.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    02-22-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    From what I recall, the chap with the hat puts in a startlingly good performance. I mean not just pretty neat but wow that was acting.

Were it suited to a younger audience I'd have shown it to my lad but it's not, by a big margin.

A very long time ago I even red the novels.

It has the odd attribute that the plot is transparent and the denouement crystal clear from very early on, in terms of whodunnit and how big a mistake the choice will prove, but that the lack of suspense is irrelevant to the satisfaction of the telling.
    The plot tells me I’ve read them but I cannot recall the titles?

Local Date
    02-22-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    The plot tells me I’ve read them but I cannot recall the titles?
    I expect it has Leviathan in it. Awakes?
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    02-22-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I expect it has Leviathan in it. Awakes?
    It is indeed Leviathan Wakes but that was only written in 2011 and I’m thinking of a book with the same plot that I read in the ?sixties?

+ Reply to Thread