Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: John Suggests Jesus Was Gay

  1. #11
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    10,204
    Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time
    04:51 AM

    Re: John Suggests Jesus Was Gay

    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    I thought the disciple jesus loved was mary magdelene? Can't remember the relevant section but did peter not express not express jealousy about the way he set her above them? It wasn't his boyfriend that stayed with him at the crucufixion or went to his tomb to gind him missing was it?

    Never mind whether he was gay or not it's such an obviously made up story anyway.
    I know, but it's fun poking holes.

    I thought it was his mother Mary who remained at the crucifixion when Jesus says, 'woman behold your son', apparently referring to John, or, whomever it was standing with her. I imagine her response being something to the effect of 'I have enough goddamn kids; I don't need another one'.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

    I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

    Fiona Apple

  2. #12
    Senior Member Bryn Mawr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,636
    Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time
    10:51 AM

    Re: John Suggests Jesus Was Gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    The text is 'the disciple whom Jesus loved' not the other way around. To say that Jesus loved one disciple more than another in the context of favoritism, doesn't appear to fit Jesus' mission. He says Peter is the rock the church will be built upon, and yet Peter is also the one Jesus said would deny him three times before something to do with a cock (or does the three have to do with the number of cocks? My memory is a bit vague). Also, Jesus scolds all the disciples often as a whole. Also, it was for Thomas that Jesus made a point in making sure to show his death (that's some pretty serious love as you intend to show it as right there).
    The usual English translation of the original Greek text is the disciple whom Jesus loved, the original Greek looks to be more ambiguous.

    There are many people that I love without there being any sexual connotation in the phrase.

  3. #13
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    10,204
    Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time
    04:51 AM

    Re: John Suggests Jesus Was Gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    The usual English translation of the original Greek text is the disciple whom Jesus loved, the original Greek looks to be more ambiguous.
    Ah, I see!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    There are many people that I love without there being any sexual connotation in the phrase.
    Me too, though I don't think I'd play favorites if I was asking the lot of them to go a suicide mission. Especially not after preaching the various parables of first and last, equal pay for an unequal workload and so on. If it would have been obvious to John that he was Jesus' favorite, the others would have noticed also. That sort of thing is difficult to hide.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

    I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

    Fiona Apple

  4. #14
    Senior Member Bryn Mawr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,636
    Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time
    10:51 AM

    Re: John Suggests Jesus Was Gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    Ah, I see!

    Me too, though I don't think I'd play favorites if I was asking the lot of them to go a suicide mission. Especially not after preaching the various parables of first and last, equal pay for an unequal workload and so on. If it would have been obvious to John that he was Jesus' favorite, the others would have noticed also. That sort of thing is difficult to hide.
    The disciple who (he) loved (the) Jesus is a literal translation but it can be read both ways, either the Jesus is the object of he loved or it is a qualifier to say which of the two men the implicit he refers to, my knowledge of Greek grammar is not sufficient to be sure. The verb form of ηγάπα is the third person singular imperfect indicative active if that helps.

    It doesn’t help that there appears to be nearly as many different forms of the Greek text as there are English translations, each subtly different.

  5. #15
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    10,204
    Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time
    04:51 AM

    Re: John Suggests Jesus Was Gay

    John 21:7 New International Version (NIV) 7 Then the disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, “It is the Lord!” As soon as Simon Peter heard him say, “It is the Lord,” he wrapped his outer garment around him (for he had taken it off) and jumped into the water.
    In this passage, it appears that John and Peter both might have undressed to bathe in water when Jesus appears. Peter panics as if he doesn't want Jesus to see him naked, while John is completely comfortable with being naked in Jesus' presence. I take 'Lord' to mean 'Boss'. Thinking on this further, perhaps Peter was afraid Jesus would think he and John were being intimate and was afraid of Jesus' reaction. Perhaps they were?
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

    I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

    Fiona Apple

  6. #16
    Senior Member Bryn Mawr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,636
    Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time
    10:51 AM

    Re: John Suggests Jesus Was Gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    In this passage, it appears that John and Peter both might have undressed to bathe in water when Jesus appears. Peter panics as if he doesn't want Jesus to see him naked, while John is completely comfortable with being naked in Jesus' presence. I take 'Lord' to mean 'Boss'.
    Where do you get naked from, it specifies outer garment removed implying the there’s an inner garment that was not removed.

  7. #17
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    10,204
    Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time
    04:51 AM

    Re: John Suggests Jesus Was Gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    Where do you get naked from, it specifies outer garment removed implying the there’s an inner garment that was not removed.
    Well then why react as he did if he was still clothed? Perhaps both inner and outer garments were lying there. the outer, more loose-fitting garment would have been the easiest to wrap oneself in. Also, did this occur in daylight or at night?
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

    I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

    Fiona Apple

  8. #18
    Senior Member Bryn Mawr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,636
    Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time
    10:51 AM

    Re: John Suggests Jesus Was Gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    Well then why react as he did if he was still clothed? Perhaps both inner and outer garments were lying there. the outer, more loose-fitting garment would have been the easiest to wrap oneself in. Also, did this occur in daylight or at night?
    I have no idea why he should react that way but to assume something contraindicated by the text suggests an agenda rather than a spirit of enquiry.

  9. #19
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    10,204
    Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time
    04:51 AM

    Re: John Suggests Jesus Was Gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    I have no idea why he should react that way but to assume something contraindicated by the text suggests an agenda rather than a spirit of enquiry.
    We're both assuming; you that the outer garment was the only one removed and I am not so sure of that. It's not specified, so it's anyone's guess. There's nothing wrong with viewing it from both angles. That's curiosity, not an agenda. Though it is accurate to say that I don't believe the story of Jesus as it's been told, generally speaking.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

    I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

    Fiona Apple

  10. #20
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    10,204
    Local Date
    04-07-2020
    Local Time
    04:51 AM

    Re: John Suggests Jesus Was Gay

    Register to remove this ad.
    Could there have been a gay male named Jesus who took political stands to disrupt the group-think of his culture? Absolutely!

    Was that person born of a virgin, and did he walk on water, raise dead people and the rest of the absurd miracles? Absolutely not!
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

    I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

    Fiona Apple

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts