Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: John Suggests Jesus Was Gay

Local Date
    05-29-2020
    Local Time
    02:19 PM

Re: John Suggests Jesus Was Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Mawr View Post
    The disciple who (he) loved (the) Jesus is a literal translation but it can be read both ways, either the Jesus is the object of he loved or it is a qualifier to say which of the two men the implicit he refers to, my knowledge of Greek grammar is not sufficient to be sure. The verb form of ηγάπα is the third person singular imperfect indicative active if that helps.

It doesn’t help that there appears to be nearly as many different forms of the Greek text as there are English translations, each subtly different.
    I put the quote to my Greek tutor this evening and it appears the the reading depends on whether the definite article prior to the final Jesus is nominative or accusative - i.e. whether he is the subject or the object of the verb, something that I should have realised from the start.

Given the the article is in the nominative the traditional reading is correct, it is Jesus doing the loving. This still does not, however, make it sexual love.

Premium Member
    Local Date
    05-29-2020
    Local Time
    08:19 AM

It is assumed that non-sexual love goes both ways between all the participants in the general story, so, for me emphasizing it in this gospel tells me there very well might be more to this particular relationship than just friendship. It might be 'a groovy kind of love'.

Thank you for checking further.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Premium Member
    Local Date
    05-29-2020
    Local Time
    08:19 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    And I still think Peter was probably naked.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's
    Be the wave that I am and then
    Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3