+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Does God kill?

Local Date
    04-01-2020
    Local Time
    05:46 PM

Does God kill?

I think to a deep biblical student the answer is clear, but to many it would be a shock for them to learn that God most definitely kills. Not only just kills but slaughters humans in groves at times. He has destroyed armies, whole cities, wiped out whole nations and has even destroyed everyone on earth but one family before. And he will kill again.

Local Date
    04-01-2020
    Local Time

Re: Does God kill?

Quote Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
    I think to a deep biblical student the answer is clear, but to many it would be a shock for them to learn that God most definitely kills. Not only just kills but slaughters humans in groves at times. He has destroyed armies, whole cities, wiped out whole nations and has even destroyed everyone on earth but one family before. And he will kill again.
    I been watching this Corona virus and how quickly it spread all over the world and I thought to myself, wow when God wants to kill he has all kinds of ways to do it.

Local Date
    04-01-2020
    Local Time

In the days of Noah when God had him build the ark, God killed every one on earth except Noah and his family. Just in example there was city called Sodom that God decided to wipe them off of this earth, so he kills everyone in the whole city. And Lots wife turned and looked at it happening, which God had ordered them not to do, so God kills her as well.

There is no doubt that God will kill, and no doubt that he will do so again. But why all this killing?

Local Date
    04-02-2020
    Local Time
    01:46 AM

You have biblical proof that for some time before the bible was written, some people interpreted their shared understanding of their history in terms of God did this, God did that, God said. Nobody could argue with the truth of that. It clearly happened.

As a separate matter, you hold that their interpretation as recorded in the bible is a literal description of reality.

If we're discussing bible stories then yes, God blatantly kills. The prophets continually explain God's reason for killing. These statements are exactly on a par with discussing Voldemort's psychological profile in the Harry Potter novels. I can reasonably say that Voldemort is terrified of dying but it doesn't mean I believe Voldemort exists. He is a fictional construct. I don't think J K Rowling believes he is real. I'm not sure whether the bible writers thought God was real but I'm quite sure they knew they were writing fiction some of the time. The author of the conclusion of Job knew he was not recording historical events, he knew he was engaging in a fight about he nature of God.

If someone takes Voldemort out of his fictional setting and asks about his motives in doing this or that in the real world, you would reasonably think that person to be either playful or deluded. Why do you think we should react differently to your discussion about God? You have a belief but it is not a reasonable belief.

If we enter the biblical fiction world then that's fine. The prophets explain time and again why God kills. He is destroying people in order that the survivors should see their sin and repent, return to the ways of the Lord and obey His commandments. God's sole interest is in the community of the faithful, He places no value on the individual hard-hearted sinner, indeed He often hardens hearts in order to make His point and demonstrate His power.

I'm happy to discuss the metaphor but I'm not going to pretend there's any real-world equivalent to the fictional God we're discussing. The real puzzle is why anyone would ever regard this fictional God as morally good when He so plainly can't be.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    04-01-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    You have biblical proof that for some time before the bible was written, some people interpreted their shared understanding of their history in terms of God did this, God did that, God said. Nobody could argue with the truth of that. It clearly happened.

As a separate matter, you hold that their interpretation as recorded in the bible is a literal description of reality.

If we're discussing bible stories then yes, God blatantly kills. The prophets continually explain God's reason for killing. These statements are exactly on a par with discussing Voldemort's psychological profile in the Harry Potter novels. I can reasonably say that Voldemort is terrified of dying but it doesn't mean I believe Voldemort exists. He is a fictional construct. I don't think J K Rowling believes he is real. I'm not sure whether the bible writers thought God was real but I'm quite sure they knew they were writing fiction some of the time. The author of the conclusion of Job knew he was not recording historical events, he knew he was engaging in a fight about he nature of God.

If someone takes Voldemort out of his fictional setting and asks about his motives in doing this or that in the real world, you would reasonably think that person to be either playful or deluded. Why do you think we should react differently to your discussion about God? You have a belief but it is not a reasonable belief.

If we enter the biblical fiction world then that's fine. The prophets explain time and again why God kills. He is destroying people in order that the survivors should see their sin and repent, return to the ways of the Lord and obey His commandments. God's sole interest is in the community of the faithful, He places no value on the individual hard-hearted sinner, indeed He often hardens hearts in order to make His point and demonstrate His power.

I'm happy to discuss the metaphor but I'm not going to pretend there's any real-world equivalent to the fictional God we're discussing. The real puzzle is why anyone would ever regard this fictional God as morally good when He so plainly can't be.

It matters not to me how you react to anything I write. That is yours, to explain my views is mine. If you choose to think of God as folklore or fiction, again that is yours, as far as I am concerned this universe, this planet, and all animals and humans are real to me Jack. If your conscious thinking has reasoned out how and why we are here , let's have it, I'll listen to you and that's for sure. And another thing is for sure, I'll always view God as real as long as I am conscious. And I will say so with glee and looking for no response , nor do I hold any interest in changing anyone's views.

That being said, if I may continue. The reason God kills may vary from event to event, but he has other reasons, if I may list a few. Population control is one reason, and reservation is another. I think preserving humanity is the number one reason he kills, to bank people into storage , to bring them back to consciousness under far better circumstances. So God is also a circumstantial killer.

Local Date
    04-01-2020
    Local Time

Now the methods God has used to kill is of interest. God can use what we call natural disasters to kill. For example he can use earth, wind or fire to kill. I mean its no escape if he wants you sleep. On the book of Revelations it tells of a time yet a head when God will kill one third of humanity. That is going to be frightening. That's about 3 billion people. Goodness.

Local Date
    04-02-2020
    Local Time

In the old testament he killed everbody bar one family - if you want to believe the stories that is.

Local Date
    04-01-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    In the old testament he killed everbody bar one family - if you want to believe the stories that is.

I think it is hard to believe, it's so mythical. As in Rev.9:13-19, the story of the 7 trumpets, or plaques unleashed on humanity. 4 angels were loosed, which think since they were loosed, then beforehand they were restrained, like dogs in a cage. They gathered together an army, riding horses that had heads like lions. And they kill a third of humanity.

Again that would be 3 billion humans or more. A stunning development.

Local Date
    04-01-2020
    Local Time

Just look at the corona virus spreading like wild fire. Here in the USA we have about 30,000 cases with 377 deaths..

Local Date
    04-02-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
    Just look at the corona virus spreading like wild fire. Here in the USA we have about 30,000 cases with 377 deaths..
    One can, of course, not question the decisions of the Almighty. So when the US total passes a million deaths some time in July, say, we can at least console ourselves with the knowledge that it's for our own good in the long run.

Presumably if we murmur we'll have a large number of poisonous quail on our doorsteps.

Can we agree that if any mere mortal behaved the way you've outlined, they'd be reasonably described as evil?
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast