Make these ads go away.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Death Spiral

Local Date
    05-26-2020
    Local Time
    04:34 AM

Death Spiral

My little community actually made the New York Times... and not in a good way.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/12/u...reopening.html

Local Date
    05-26-2020
    Local Time

Re: Death Spiral

A story being told in so many places, right now.
    People watching their lives crumbling while the politicians play games.
    Last edited by LarsMac; 05-14-2020 at 11:29 AM.
    "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - Anon

Local Date
    05-26-2020
    Local Time
    02:34 AM

Saint
    that's everywhere.

If you haven't seen a ghost town - you will now.

stay safe

Patsy

Local Date
    05-26-2020
    Local Time
    11:34 AM

That sounds rough - I hope the cut you some slack very soon.

Local Date
    05-26-2020
    Local Time

There is a concept that a lockdown, if timed not too early and not too late, can take the epidemic out of its exponential phase and make it flatline. It sounds to me that your city has been locked down far too soon, and won't put up with the pain for the extended period because there's no present good coming of it. Waiting until the locals are concerned for their neighborhood is a good time to bring it on if you're relying on lockdowns to provide a solution.

The real solution to the pandemic is trace contacts and forcibly quarantine them. That way practically nobody dies. It's not even been attempted anywhere in America this time round.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

England's troubles will increase until the bishops open Joanna Southcott's box.
    It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

Local Date
    05-26-2020
    Local Time

We're getting this demented logic in our right wing media now, because there was a lock down the spread was curtailed therefore it wasn't as bad as the experts said it was going to be so we didn't need the lock down so we should end it and old people would have died anyway. Quite a few london transport workers have died having been infected by the virus now they're being told to go back to work without being supplied with masks etc. All it takes is one infected person to spark it off It's the logic of I haven't seen it so it can't be real.

I can see why in some parts of america it's hard to believe but without the lock down it would have probably spread to even the more rural states carried by truckers and the like.

Anecdotally in Scotland many people know at least second or third hand someone who has had it. I was back at work for three days this week for a scaffolding firm( outside and all at distance.) whose drivers were furloughed and also because one of the artic drivers (what americans call a semi) had had the virus so his depot down south was locked down for a period. The fork lift driver at the site was telling me his dad died of the virus, in a care home dead within four days hadn't been able to see him or have a funeral yet. Be fair to say people were taking it quite seriously anyone treating it as a joke would have got short thrift. Tourists heading up here will find A) everything is shut, B) the local populace likely to be quite hostile. Me I'd like to go hillwalking or mountain biking

Local Date
    05-26-2020
    Local Time

Drove up into the mountains yesterday.
    The people and small businesses in many remote town are basically ignoring the state directive where they can get away with it. The bigger towns are playing along.

It seems that local authorities need to be able to determine their own risks. But people need to follow the guidelines, and show that authorities can relax the restrictions with little risk to overall public health.

We stopped to refuel, and needed to find a restroom. One look inside while
    I was fueling up convinced us that we needed to hold it.
    A number of people, mostly locals were inside, with no masks, crowded around the counter, and we would have to thread our way through. Anyone who was infectious could walk in and share the bug, and turn their nice little town into the next health hazard.
    Since we had no idea if that may have already happened, we decided to move on. Pay at the Pump is such a great thing.
    "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."
    - Anon

Local Date
    05-26-2020
    Local Time

It's scary when I see Trump & his Trumpettes still out protesting that C19 is a Hoax.

Local Date
    05-26-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by FourPart View Post
    It's scary when I see Trump & his Trumpettes still out protesting that C19 is a Hoax.
    Couldn’t agree more - totally irresponsible that he’s egging them on.

+ Reply to Thread