+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Afterlife

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time
    06:28 AM

Afterlife

Do believe in heaven or hell or the interim phase of those who can't make a transition? I think we all die with our bodies. If there is any afterlife it comes from our brain's electrical activity. Energy is transformed.
    The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time
    08:28 AM

Re: Afterlife

Then you don't believe in ghosts or spirits, correct?

I'm on the fence about this. I guess you could say I'm "agnostic" in this area. I don't know what I believe. I'd LIKE to believe there's something beyond this world, but haven't had it proven to me yet. I've seen glimpses at possibilities, but nothing concrete.
    Lemme ponder a while longer, I'll have a better response for you, NV.
    I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
    ~Darrel Worley~

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time
    02:28 PM

Wink Re: Afterlife

When I die, if there is an afterlife, I hope to meet my heroes: Copernicus, Galileo, Newton, Einstein, David Hume, Schweitzer, Darwin. So I guess I won't be going to a Christian heaven (or hell?).

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by nvalleyvee
    Do believe in heaven or hell or the interim phase of those who can't make a transition? I think we all die with our bodies. If there is any afterlife it comes from our brain's electrical activity. Energy is transformed.
    I don't buy Limbo.
    As for the energy comment, God made nature. Our thoughts come from the electrical energy of our brains. Is it impossible that the energy is transformed into what we define as "spirit," staying intact and being naturally drawn to similar groups of energy. It makes sense scientifically to this layman.

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by gimli3

When I die, if there is an afterlife, I hope to meet my heroes: Copernicus, Galileo, Newton, Einstein, David Hume, Schweitzer, Darwin. So I guess I won't be going to a Christian heaven (or hell?).

You reminded me of a novel I read years ago, I think it was Job: A Comedy of Justice. It was a wild and twisted trip, but the part pertinent to this thread was that heaven was compartmentalized, or there were many heavens, where everyone was segregated based on their earthly choice of worship. I'll have to find that book again if I can.

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time
    02:28 PM

Quote Originally Posted by nvalleyvee
    I believe in an afterlife as recorded in the Bible. Sinners will go to hell and Children of God will live with Him forever in heaven.
    A formula for tact: "Be brief politely, be aggressive smilingly, be emphatic pleasantly, be positive diplomatically, be right graciously".

I think, therefore I post chonsigirl's Avatar
    Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time

I agree with Polycarp, I believe in a Biblical heaven. There is no limbo or purgatory recorded in the Bible. I think the life we choose to live here on Earth is enough testing for most of us.

Local Date
    08-18-2019
    Local Time
    02:28 AM

I like the concept of heaven and hell, and even purgatory, but believe in none of these afterlife ideas. We die, it's the end, finito, no more, nada. Heaven, hell and purgatory exist in this lifetime.

Local Date
    08-17-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Lon
    I like the concept of heaven and hell, and even purgatory, but believe in none of these afterlife ideas. We die, it's the end, finito, no more, nada. Heaven, hell and purgatory exist in this lifetime.
    Then what's the point of self-discipline? or is there a point. I would think the temptation to at least steal if not kill would be very strong if there's nothing after this.

Local Date
    08-18-2019
    Local Time
    02:28 AM

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Accountable
    Then what's the point of self-discipline? or is there a point. I would think the temptation to at least steal if not kill would be very strong if there's nothing after this.
    One does not have to believe in an afterlife to have self disipline, or to be moral, have compassion, empathy, understanding etc. etc. You are implying that the only thing that keeps one from stealing or killing is FEAR of the afterlife (in this case HELL).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast