+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The moral decline.

Local Date
    11-17-2019
    Local Time
    07:58 AM

Re: The moral decline.

You know you could have a point there anastophe.

And I really enjoyed the Older 'n dirt tombstone.

Local Date
    11-17-2019
    Local Time
    03:58 AM

Unhappy Re: The moral decline.

i agree whtsis goingon with the youth it is th eparental decline today it seens like nowits a trend to be really concerned with,

Local Date
    11-17-2019
    Local Time
    06:28 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sikes
    :-)What is has caused the problem with the youth of today? Is it simply lack of parental control, or has the availability of such things as magazines, mobile 'phones, contraception, guns, television etc. helped things along?
    In my opinion the main reason which has caused this problem is lack of proper parental guidance. This is the age of conflicts, both physical and emotional. With communication becoming very fast and effective, young children learn many things. Some of them may not be suitable for their age. This is where parents can play an important role and guide their children. But this guidance should be through example. Parents should practice what they want their children to learn.
    Spread love not hate
    Suresh Gupta
    http://www.betterlife4all.com

yogos

Simply saying that there is a moral decline in our youth today doesn't really say much. There is no precise definition of what a moral decline is? Morality itself has many implications (religious, social, etc.). Simply saying that there's a moral decline is very biased and unacademic. One has to analyze the deeper source of why society is changing, why today's youth is more promiscous and individualistic than it used to be. What are the reason's behind those changes? I think once we are able to answer those questions then the whole controversy behind the moral decline will become more clear. What do you guys think?

All Human Life Is Here... capt_buzzard's Avatar
    Local Date
    11-17-2019
    Local Time
    12:58 PM

Lightbulb Re: The moral decline.

Quote Originally Posted by Tombstone
    I thought this little article had some merit:
    -----------------------
    -----------------------

Older 'n Dirt

"Hey Dad," one of my kids asked the other day, "What was your favorite
    fast food when you were growing up?"

"We didn't have fast food when I was growing up," I informed him. "All
    the food was slow."

"C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?"

"It was a place called 'at home,'" I explained. "Grandma cooked every
    day and when Grandpa got *****from work, we sat down together at the
    dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was
    allowed to sit there until I did like it."

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going
    to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about
    how I had to have permission to leave the table. But here are some
    other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his
    system could have handled it:

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore Levis, set foot on a
    golf course, traveled out of the country or had a credit card. In
    their later years they had something called a revolving charge card.
    The card was good only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears AND
    Roebuck. Either way, there is no Roebuck anymore. Maybe he died.

My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because
    we never had heard of soccer. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50
    pounds, and only had one speed, (slow). We didn't have a television in
    our house until I was 11, but my grandparents had one before that. It
    was, of course, black and white, but they bought a piece of colored
    plastic to cover the screen. The top third was blue, like the sky, and
    the bottom third was green, like grass. The middle third was red. It
    was perfect for programs that had scenes of fire trucks riding across
    someone's lawn on a sunny day. Some people had a lens taped to the
    front of the TV to make the picture look larger.

I was 13 before I tasted my first pizza, it was called "pizza pie."
    When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid
    off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that,
    too. It's still the best pizza I ever had.

We didn't have a car until I was 15. Before that, the only car in our
    family was my grandfather's Ford. He called it a "machine."

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone in the house was in
    the living room and it was on a party line. Before you could dial, you
    had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't
    already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home. But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered
    newspapers. I delivered a newspaper, six days a week. It cost 7 cents
    a paper, of which I got to keep 2 cents. I had to get up at 4 AM every
    morning. On Saturday, I had to collect the 42 cents from my customers.
    My favorite customers were the ones who gave me 50 cents and told me
    to keep the change. My least favorite customers were the ones who
    seemed to never be *****on collection day.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the
    movies. Touching someone else's tongue with yours was called French
    kissing and they didn't do that in movies. I don't know what they did
    in French movies. French movies were dirty and we weren't allowed to
    see them.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may
    want to share some of these memories with your children or
    grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.

Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?
    I remember most of that too 'Tombstone, except I did first tasted pizza when I was 15.. And growing up sure isn't what it used to be.

Local Date
    11-17-2019
    Local Time
    04:58 AM

from Paul Harvey:

We tried so hard to make things better for our kids that we made them worse. For my grandchildren, I'd like better.

I'd really like for them to know about hand me down clothes and homemade ice cream and leftover meat loaf sandwiches. I really would.

I hope you learn humility by being humiliated, and that you learn honesty by being cheated.

I hope you learn to make your own bed and mow the lawn and wash the car.

And I really hope nobody gives you a brand new car when you are sixteen.

It will be good if at least one time you can see puppies born and your old dog put to sleep.

I hope you get a black eye fighting for something you believe in.

I hope you have to share a bedroom with your younger brother/sister. And it's all right if you have to draw a line down the middle of the room,but when he wants to crawl under the covers with you because he's scared, I hope you let him.

When you want to see a movie and your little brother/sister wants to tag along, I hope you'll let him/her.

I hope you have to walk uphill to school with your friends and that you live in a town where you can do it safely.

On rainy days when you have to catch a ride, I hope you don't ask your driver to drop you two blocks away so you won't be seen riding with someone as uncool as your Mom.

If you want a slingshot, I hope your Dad teaches you how to make one instead of buying one.

I hope you learn to dig in the dirt and read books.

When you learn to use computers, I hope you also learn to add and subtract in your head.

I hope you get teased by your friends when you have your first crush on a boy\girl, and when you talk back to your mother that you learn what ivory soap tastes like.

May you skin your knee climbing a mountain, burn your hand on a stove and stick your tongue on a frozen flagpole.

I don't care if you try a beer once, but I hope you don't like it. And if a friend offers you dope or a joint, I hope you realize he is not your friend.

I sure hope you make time to sit on a porch with your Grandma/Grandpa and go fishing with your Uncle.

May you feel sorrow at a funeral and joy during the holidays.

I hope your mother punishes you when you throw a baseball through your neighbor's window and that she hugs you and kisses you at Hannukah/Christmastime when you give her a plaster mold of your hand.

These things I wish for you - tough times and disappointment, hard work and happiness. To me, it's the only way to appreciate life.

Written with a pen. Sealed with a kiss. I'm here for you. And if I die before you do, I'll go to heaven and wait for you.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    Aristotle

Local Date
    11-17-2019
    Local Time
    04:58 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Suresh Gupta
    In my opinion the main reason which has caused this problem is lack of proper parental guidance. This is the age of conflicts, both physical and emotional. With communication becoming very fast and effective, young children learn many things. Some of them may not be suitable for their age. This is where parents can play an important role and guide their children. But this guidance should be through example. Parents should practice what they want their children to learn.
    And society needs to help parents back it up. It's all well and fine to say that lack of parental guidance is causing the "moral decline" of our youth. What is being completely overlooked (with the exception of Peg) is how hog-tied parents have become.

I know that my experience as a single mom raising one very rebellious teenage son was a nightmare. I would set a line, but there was no backup for me. The school, the police, the judges, the counselors, etc etc all protected my son - from me! At the same time, I was legally responsible for anything my son did.

When my son chose to run off to a friend's house and stay there for days drinking, the police would not allow me to collect my own child.
    When my son was tested for drugs, I was not allowed to know what was in his system or how much was there, but I was warned I damn well better make sure it stops or I could go to jail for it.
    When my son broke the law, the police preferred returning him to me rather than prosecuting him, because they could see he was well cared for and the system is already overloaded with kids who are not well cared for.

I could go on and on...somehow, miraculously, my son and I both survived. We are developing a healthy relationship.

But to make a grandiose statement about lack of parental guidance is...well...I know you didn't mean it, Suresh, but it's insulting, offensive, and hurtful. I know there are many parents out there battling the same things I fought.

It was very interesting to see my renegade child suddenly do a 180 and become law-abiding when he turned 18. He didn't want to ruin his life. He just wanted to play as hard as he could during the years he knew there would be no consequences.

THAT'S the problem, in my mind. Teens are supposed to break all the rules they can. Parents and communities are supposed to make them regret it (not by long jail terms or by foster care...). But these days the parents are held accountable for the actions of the child, and we are denied many of the tools that worked for our parents.

JMHO
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    Aristotle

Local Date
    11-17-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by yogos
    Simply saying that there is a moral decline in our youth today doesn't really say much. There is no precise definition of what a moral decline is? Morality itself has many implications (religious, social, etc.). Simply saying that there's a moral decline is very biased and unacademic. One has to analyze the deeper source of why society is changing, why today's youth is more promiscous and individualistic than it used to be. What are the reason's behind those changes? I think once we are able to answer those questions then the whole controversy behind the moral decline will become more clear. What do you guys think?
    I agree with your views that the need is to analyze the deeper source of why society is changing, why today's youth is more promiscous and individualistic than it used to be, and what are the reasons behind these changes? Once these reasons are known then peoper corrections can be determined and applied.

But these reasons would be different in different societies and also the manner in which corrections are applied. Another point which has to be remembered is that one has to look inward also to find out the reasons. Searching for the reasons outside (leaving oneself out of scrutiny) will not serve the purpose.
    Spread love not hate
    Suresh Gupta

Local Date
    11-17-2019
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by A Karenina
    And society needs to help parents back it up. It's all well and fine to say that lack of parental guidance is causing the "moral decline" of our youth. What is being completely overlooked (with the exception of Peg) is how hog-tied parents have become.

I know that my experience as a single mom raising one very rebellious teenage son was a nightmare. I would set a line, but there was no backup for me. The school, the police, the judges, the counselors, etc etc all protected my son - from me! At the same time, I was legally responsible for anything my son did.

When my son chose to run off to a friend's house and stay there for days drinking, the police would not allow me to collect my own child.
    When my son was tested for drugs, I was not allowed to know what was in his system or how much was there, but I was warned I damn well better make sure it stops or I could go to jail for it.
    When my son broke the law, the police preferred returning him to me rather than prosecuting him, because they could see he was well cared for and the system is already overloaded with kids who are not well cared for.

I could go on and on...somehow, miraculously, my son and I both survived. We are developing a healthy relationship.

But to make a grandiose statement about lack of parental guidance is...well...I know you didn't mean it, Suresh, but it's insulting, offensive, and hurtful. I know there are many parents out there battling the same things I fought.

It was very interesting to see my renegade child suddenly do a 180 and become law-abiding when he turned 18. He didn't want to ruin his life. He just wanted to play as hard as he could during the years he knew there would be no consequences.

THAT'S the problem, in my mind. Teens are supposed to break all the rules they can. Parents and communities are supposed to make them regret it (not by long jail terms or by foster care...). But these days the parents are held accountable for the actions of the child, and we are denied many of the tools that worked for our parents.

JMHO

I will agree with what you say as it is your personal experience.

But i would like to comment that the approach of most of the parents and society towards this problem is not pro-active (by society I mean all, the family, the school, the police, the judges, the counselors .....). They wlll bother about the problem only when they are faced with it, and even then they will try to pass it on to each other.

I will once again repeat that parents have a larger responsibility towards their children. Moral education starts from the mother and this foundation should be very strong. When children go out in the world this strong foundation will save them from all sorts of fatal attractions and moral degradations.
    Spread love not hate
    Suresh Gupta

Melancholia

Register to remove this ad.
    I think that today's youth are pretty remarkable. It is a difficult world to navigate even as an adult. Is there a moral decline? I don't know. While people (including youth) are becoming more broad-minded and accepting of others, our society as a whole continues to be fueled by exploitation. How can we expect our children not to exploit resources, power, and bodies, when we all actively participate in the same?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast