+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Nostradamus

Local Date
    06-06-2020
    Local Time
    05:51 AM

Nostradamus

Has anyone ever read the prophesies of Nostradamus ?

Do you think the prophsesies are true ?

A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home

I think, therefore I post chonsigirl's Avatar
    Local Date
    06-06-2020
    Local Time
    12:51 AM

Re: Nostradamus

Well, I really don't believe in his prophecies, but here is the famous one about Hitler............

Century #2 Quatrain #24

Bestes farouches de faim fleuues tranner;
    Plus part du champ encontre Hister sera,
    En cage de fer le grand fera treisner,
    Quand rien enfant de Germain obseruera.

Beasts ferocious from hunger will swim across rivers:
    The greater part of the region will be against the Hister,
    The great one will cause it to be dragged in an iron cage,
    When the German child will observe nothing.

The question is, is the word Hister a spelling mistake? How can it be, since it was originally written in French-the mistake would be in the French original. But they are interesting to look through Bez.

ArnoldLayne

They are all very interesting but my view is they can all be interpreted in so many different ways, consequently, people tend to read into them things that arent really there or twist the interpretation to make it fit to an historical event.

I'm sure many synical academics have translated them to mean something completely different.

Fascinating nonetheless

Unconquerable Good Will telaquapacky's Avatar
    Local Date
    06-05-2020
    Local Time
    10:51 PM
    Nostradamus undoubtedly had a supernatural source of information about the future. Besides this, he was a genius. His writings have fascinated readers for centuries, and predicted quite a few events accurately.

I don’t have anything against Nostradamus- I don’t know the man, but I never took any interest in his writings. I am only interested in prophecy that will lead me to a closer relationship with God. I’m a little turned off to prophecy that is delivered in a way that it glorifies the man and distracts attention from the One who can give me eternal life, and who can show me how I should live.

There’s an interesting story in Exodus. When Moses went to Pharaoh to ask him to set his people free, Moses gave evidence that he was a messenger from God, by dropping his wooden staff on the floor before Pharaoh, and the staff turned into a live snake. Pharaoh wasn’t impressed. He snapped his fingers and called his magicians, who tossed down their wooden staves, and those staves also turned into snakes. This little side show hardened Pharaoh’s resistance so that it took ten supernatural plagues from God before Pharaoh would finally listen.

God is not pleased with unauthorized prophets.

Jeremiah 23:21,22
    I did not send these prophets, yet they have run with their message; I did not speak to them, yet they have prophesied. But if they had stood in my council, they would have proclaimed my words to my people and would have turned them from their evil ways and from their evil deeds.

My point is that there is so much inspiring beauty in Bible prophecy which can make us wise to follow God and receive salvation. But with clairvoyants like Nostradamus giving their famous predictions, it only distracts and gives people another excuse to reject salvation. Whether or not they are true isn’t the issue- the issue is the source of their inspiration.

Local Date
    06-05-2020
    Local Time

I think he had some sight. A prophet - no. There have been others out of the Christian faith. The years and names may have been off a little but I DO believe "N" was a seer. He was good at it too.
    The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper

Local Date
    06-06-2020
    Local Time
    05:51 AM

No powers whatever, just broad enough stuff that could be interpereted any which way
    "I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"

Local Date
    06-06-2020
    Local Time
    06:51 AM

I've read them and came to much the same conclusion that they could be made to fit any event. Change a word here bend the meaning there. A prophecy that only looks like a prophecy after the event and the words have been reinterpreted is not a prophecy. The one about greater germany and hister is intriguing but one amongst so many means nothing.
    There was another one that could be taken to refer to an event in new york but only after you choose to read it way after the event.

Always found the brahan seer interesting though, very local predictions

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/devout/brahan_seer.htm

As to bible prophecies, I think most of them are descriptions of natural events people were seeing without understanding what they were or exprssions of their own fears-plagues of insects and famine are hardly new phenomena nor is war and destruction, earthquake, volcanoes, climate change. The only remarkable thing is that people give them credence as being prophetic in the first place.

If you want to have visions yourself do without food and sleep long enough and you start having glorious technicolour dreams, there is also a range of mind altering drugs available that will have the same effect.

How about Hurricane katrina? Many have been predicting such an event for years does that make them seers? Big storm, city below sea level floods big surprise there. Same in India and South America, deforestation leads to massive floods many predicted these things as well having seen it happen in other countries. Build a house on a flood plain, what do you think is going to happen at some point, if your house floods is it your own stipidity that caused it or an act of god?

Why is it people prefer to ignore scientists, environmentalists etc even if their predictions come true yet are pleased to find some obscure nutter that "saw" the event before it happened but only realised later what it was and if only we had listened to him or her. Or manage to find in the bible a description of a similar event and take great delight in saying look! this has been predicted .

Next thing you know is there will be a call to for a return to godly ways to prevent it happening again.

Local Date
    06-06-2020
    Local Time

I prophesy that a controversial rebuttal will raise blood pressure.

I think, therefore I post chonsigirl's Avatar
    Local Date
    06-06-2020
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Accountable
    I prophesy that a controversial rebuttal will raise blood pressure.

Prophesy or philosophy, AC?

Unconquerable Good Will telaquapacky's Avatar
    Local Date
    06-05-2020
    Local Time

Register to remove this ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmc
    How about Hurricane katrina? Many have been predicting such an event for years does that make them seers?
    Leonardo Da Vinci, Jules Verne and H.G. Wells predicted things. They just thought ahead. The Louisianans should have done the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmc
    Next thing you know is there will be a call to for a return to godly ways to prevent it happening again.
    You ain't lyin', Mac. And when they say that it's when the prisons fill up with good people.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast