I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    10-22-2018
    Local Time
    03:57 AM
    Gifts Kitten

Brett Kavanaugh

Has anyone here been following the events regarding the US Supreme Court hearings?

After watching both Ford and Kavanaugh, I find it difficult to imagine Kavanaugh on the SCOTUS. Kavanaugh's behavior strikes me as that of a guilty person, and also that of an alcoholic.

Also, the antics of the Republicans on the committee is distressing. The Democrats, otoh, have impressed me. The females on the committee were especially impressive - their line of questioning and professionalism caused Kavanaugh to appear childish.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    10-22-2018
    Local Time
    01:57 AM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Re: Brett Kavanaugh

Quote Originally Posted by Ahso! View Post
    Has anyone here been following the events regarding the US Supreme Court hearings?

After watching both Ford and Kavanaugh, I find it difficult to imagine Kavanaugh on the SCOTUS. Kavanaugh's behavior strikes me as that of a guilty person, and also that of an alcoholic.

Also, the antics of the Republicans on the committee is distressing. The Democrats, otoh, have impressed me. The females on the committee were especially impressive - their line of questioning and professionalism caused Kavanaugh to appear childish.
    Yup. I've been watching the goings on.
    I was ready to give him some leeway at first, but his tirade struck me more as the Self-righteous indignation of an adolescent caught in the act, than an innocent victim of some nefarious plot by the Democrats to torpedo his bid for a seat in the top court of the nation.

I couldn't help wondering how many times he had practiced that speech.

Yes, it was 30 some years ago, and obviously beyond the Statute of limitations, so he has no worry about prosecution.

Most of us did some really stupid stuff when we were young, that we would really not like to have exposed in our adulthood, I suspect, but when caught, most of us are likely to be mature enough to face up to it, and behave with some maturity, and perhaps even apologize.
    His tantrum does not leave one feeling at all comfortable with him taking a seat at SCOTUS.
    The only thing that I found to agree with him on was "I like Beer."
    It may not be so much that I've conceded your point as that you just can't hear me rolling my eyes.

Premium Member
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-22-2018
    Local Time
    02:57 AM
    Gifts Beer Beer

Of course, I have been watching.

I feel bad for Dr. Ford in that she thought she could be treated with respect. Forget that as it was s Democratic who betrayed her in revealing her name and accusation which she wanted to keep confidential.

From day one the Demos created a circus atmosphere. Then it gets dark bringing on Dr. Ford.

Using a woman to destroy your life would piss off the pope.

Dr. Ford cried for sympathy, cute. Any shock with that with all the delays and slander Kavanah wouldn't be somewhat blunt? He was speaking emotionally, not as a judge.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
    -MARK TWAIN

No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar.
    -ABRAHAM LINCOLN

is just wandrin

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-22-2018
    Local Time
    12:57 AM
    Gifts Balloons Cake Gift

It is downright scary for me to think about this guy with a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court.

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    10-22-2018
    Local Time
    01:57 AM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by tude dog View Post
    Of course, I have been watching.

I feel bad for Dr. Ford in that she thought she could be treated with respect. Forget that as it was s Democratic who betrayed her in revealing her name and accusation which she wanted to keep confidential.

From day one the Demos created a circus atmosphere. Then it gets dark bringing on Dr. Ford.

Using a woman to destroy your life would piss off the pope.

Dr. Ford cried for sympathy, cute. Any shock with that with all the delays and slander Kavanah wouldn't be somewhat blunt? He was speaking emotionally, not as a judge.
    I am reading your post and thinking:
    "So you're OK with his drunken antics as a kid, but the Dems are evil for bringing public attention to them and suggesting that he may not be the Golden boy?
    And never mind that he denies it all and throws a tantrum. And nevermind that there are several more queuing up to have their say."

And do you suppose that he has been the straight arrow since he graduated Law School?

I'd like to know a lot more before he gets in that chair.

But of course, it's all a Democrat conspiracy. Probably the Clintons are behind it.

This whole episode has been bizarre. We see the party power play right out there in the open. Dems, Republicans, they are all a mess.

Every American should be embarrassed by this crap.
    It may not be so much that I've conceded your point as that you just can't hear me rolling my eyes.

is searching for truth

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    10-22-2018
    Local Time

I think the judge may have lied , and going forward that may come back on him later. He wants a certain image to show him to be without fault.

This user has no status.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    10-22-2018
    Local Time
    03:57 AM
    Gifts Kitten

Kavanaugh and Mark Judge had better hope they never discussed this with anyone else that recalls such discussions. They were obviously drunk often and drunks often have loose lips.

With the threat of lying to the FBI charges now a possibility Judge might have to flip on his old drinking buddy. I find it amusingly ironic that a guy who wrote and sold a book openly describing himself as a fall-down, blackout drunk is suddenly looking for confidentiality. That makes Judge appear as guilty as Kavanaugh's histrionics cause him to appear.

As for Kavanaugh's mom, she most likely knew her son was a drunk in HS. Moms usually do know such things unless they are completely absent either physically or emotionally. Though those sorts of behaviors by parents are often the cause of their children acting out.

Another caveat in this could be how aggressive the FBI agents might be. It appears the FBI doesn't care much for Trump's accusations against them regarding the Russia probe. Would some of them hope to find evidence that sinks Trump's first choice? Trump burns through casual working relationships quite quickly and thoroughly.

The incident happened, there's little doubt about that unless one is intentionally blind. Kavanaugh is just too used to living a privileged life and being unaccountable for his behaviors to step up as a man would. But then he showed himself to be nothing more than a boy sheepishly cowering in a fetal position in an adult body. Psychologists must be having some hearty laughs observing Trump and his appointments and administration choices.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”
    Voltaire

Premium Member
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    10-22-2018
    Local Time
    02:57 AM
    Gifts Beer Beer

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
    I am reading your post and thinking:
    "So you're OK with his drunken antics as a kid, but the Dems are evil for bringing public attention to them and suggesting that he may not be the Golden boy?
    Not at all. What's the big deal? They can't touch him on his judicial performance so they bring up a dubious sexual assault claim which didn't fly well enough for them. So they go after that he likes to drink beer.

SO DO I

Alcohol consumption has been a staple of much of America.

And never mind that he denies it all and throws a tantrum. And nevermind that there are several more queuing up to have their say."
    I don't know about a tantrum. I would also be indignant and PO'd the way he was treated.

And do you suppose that he has been the straight arrow since he graduated Law School?
    Perhaps he's a pedophile. I mean really, he did go to Catholic school. Who knows what happened there?

I'd like to know a lot more before he gets in that chair.
    Whatever suits your fancy.

But of course, it's all a Democrat conspiracy. Probably the Clintons are behind it.
    LOL

This whole episode has been bizarre. We see the party power play right out there in the open. Dems, Republicans, they are all a mess.

Every American should be embarrassed by this crap.
    WORD
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
    -MARK TWAIN

No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar.
    -ABRAHAM LINCOLN

is jellyfish

I am:
    Awesome

Local Date
    10-22-2018
    Local Time
    05:57 PM

I was following it for a bit but it's just white noise now....just another circumstance in which the American Government is embarrassing itself.

is just wandrin

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    10-22-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Balloons Cake Gift

Register to remove this ad.
    The Supreme Court is, arguably, the most powerful branch of the US government. They can override laws passed by Congress. They set precedents that are followed by every court in the country. Its members are expected to rise above the sometimes petty partisan politics and rule impartially. They are the only branch of government whose members are not elected. It is a lifetime appointment.

It is very important that the President and Congress thoroughly vet each candidate before appointment, so as not to risk compromising a court decision or undermining the integrity of the court. In this case, it was unusual that the President, after multiple accusations had been made that would cast doubt on the character of a nominee, asked the FBI not to investigate. That itself was amazing and sigh-provoking.

At this point in our society, it is probable that a court case involving the definition of “consent” may rise to the level of the Supreme Court. How could a Supreme Court ruling be respected, with so many unanswered questions about the nominee’s past actions and moral principles?
    Now, the FBI will do an investigation but has been given a time limit and directions from the President to clear the nominee’s name.

I can’t recall any Supreme Court nominations in my lifetime, withe possible exception of Clarence Thomas, where the nominee did not withdraw or the President did not withdraw the nomination.

It is thoroughly mind boggling.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast