I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-19-2018
    Local Time
    05:57 PM
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Positive outcome from brexit

If anyone can think of anything please offer it up.

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-19-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Re: Positive outcome from brexit

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17...xit-tv-debate/

Scottish independence maybe? I can't believe anyone in Scotland will trust the tories or labour yet some still seem to do so.

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-19-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17...xit-tv-debate/

Scottish independence maybe? Well, it would be positive for us.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    11-19-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Heart Car Beer Beer Burger Cake Ban Hammer Beer

How about the demolition of Conservative government for the next twenty years.

Today's Cabinet meeting seems to be about accepting all of the Brussels bureaucracy for British regulation while agreeing there would be no further British input on what those regulations consist of. All the paperwork imposed - people were complaining of the paperwork when voting for Brexit, if I remember - but no further hand in drawing any of it up.

It also appears to be guaranteeing there will be no British variation of trade deals worldwide. All the Brexit twaddle about how we'd draw up beneficial agreements with the Commonwealth and with China and the US, all that's been permanently abandoned.

Finally, the present government is about to do what it invariably said it couldn't do - it's going to bind all future governments to a revised treaty with the European Union with no unilateral right to withdraw or to vary the terms. We've never done that before in any context.
    Nullius in verba|||||||||||
    Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

The watch of your vision has become reasonable today.

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.
    Write that word in the blood

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-19-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

I find myself disgusted with the coverage on the issues. The country is basically split on whether to leave or not yet time after time on discussion programmes like question time there is invariably a preponderance of brexiteers reiterating their mantra about how we cannot change our minds and it would be undemocratic to have another think about this.

They are half-wits who can't seem to grasp that the effect on our economy will not be immediate as companies wait to see what happens before making final decisions. There are thousands of expats who are now facing losing their jobs in the eu and having to come home to no future.

On a happier note the brexit secretary dominic raab seems to have realised we are an island.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    11-19-2018
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    On a happier note the brexit secretary dominic raab seems to have realised we are an island.
    And consequently we now have Dominic Raab's resignation from his zero-hours courier contract:

Dear Prime Minister,

It has been an honour to serve in your government as justice minister, housing minister and Brexit secretary.

I regret to say that, following the cabinet meeting yesterday on the Brexit deal. I must resign. I understand why you have chosen to pursue the deal with the EU on the terms proposed, and I respect the different views held in good faith by all of our colleagues.

For my part, I cannot support the proposed deal for two reasons. First I believe that the regulatory regime proposed for Northern Ireland presents a very real threat to the integrity of the United Kingdom.

Second, I cannot support an indefinite backstop arrangement, where the EU holds a veto over our ability to exit. The terms of the backstop amount to a hybrid of the EU customs union and single market obligations. No democratic nation has ever signed up to be bound by such an extensive regime, imposed externally without any democratic control over the laws to be applied, nor the ability to decide to exit the arrangement. That arrangement is now also taken as the starting point for negotiating the future economic partnership. If we accept that, it will severely prejudice the second phase of negotiations against the UK.

Above all, I cannot reconcile the terms of the proposed deal with the promises we made to the country in our manifesto at the last election. This is, at its heart, a matter of public trust.

I appreciate that you disagree with my judgment on these issues. I have weighed very carefully the alternative courses of action which the government could take, on which I have previously advised. Ultimately, you deserve a Brexit secretary who can make the case for the deal you are pursuing with conviction. I am only sorry, in good conscience, that I cannot.

My respect for you and the fortitude you have shown in difficult times, remains undimmed.

Yours sincerely

Dominic Raab

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.
    From the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End of the Hillsborough Stadium, I watched the events of that day unfold with horror.
    When the flowers want to oxygen and nutrition, or you’re a wedding or party planner, I will help you too much.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    11-19-2018
    Local Time

Esther McVey's Cabinet resignation letter, as Work & Pensions Secretary:

Dear Prime Minister,

There is no more important task for this Government than delivering on the United Kingdom’s decision to leave the European Union. This is a matter of trust. It is about the future of our country and the integrity of our democracy.

The deal you put before the Cabinet yesterday does not honour the result of the referendum. Indeed, it doesn’t meet the tests you set from the outset of your premiership.

Repeatedly you have said that we must regain control of our money, our borders and our laws and develop our own independent trade policy. I have always supported you to deliver on those objectives. Even after Chequers when you knew I shared the concerns of a very significant number of colleagues, I believed that we could still work collectively to honour the will of the British people and secure the right outcome for the future of our country. This deal fails to do this.

The proposals put before Cabinet, which will soon be judged by the entire country, means handing over around £39bn to the EU without anything in return. It will trap us in a customs union, despite you specifically promising the British people we would not be. It will bind the hands of not only this, but future Governments in pursuing genuine free trade policies. We wouldn’t be taking back control, we would be handing over control to the EU and even to a third country for arbitration.

It also threatens the integrity of the United Kingdom, which as a Unionist is a risk I cannot be party to.

The British people have always been ahead of politicians on this issue, and it will be no good trying to pretend to them that this deal honours the result of the referendum when it is obvious to everyone it doesn’t.

We have gone from no deal is better than a bad deal, to any deal is better than no deal.

I cannot defend this, and I cannot vote for this deal. I could not look my constituents in the eye were I to do that. I therefore have no alternative but to resign from the Government.

It has been a huge honour to serve as Secretary of State for Work & Pensions, and I am immensely proud of the part I have played in the record levels of employment we have seen in all parts of the U.K Youth unemployment has halved since 2010, and we now have record number of women and BAME in work and since 2013, 973,000 more disabled people in work.

With unemployment over 3.3 million more than in 2010 we have helped 1,000 more people into work each and every day since we took office.

I am extremely grateful to you for appointing me to the role, and for the support you have given to me, not least in the run up to the budget, ensuring Universal Credit got a much-needed injection of £4.5 billion. That has made my decision a greater wrench.

However, in politics you have to be true to the public and also true to yourself. Had I stayed in Government and supported this deal with the EU I wouldn’t be doing that.

Your sincerely,

Esther McVey

Quite what "With unemployment over 3.3 million more than in 2010" means, I'm not sure.

I'm waiting for Mother Leadsom to throw in her two penn'orth.

Supporting Member
    is risen

I am:
    Happy

Local Date
    11-19-2018
    Local Time

Mark Steel is slightly inaccurate in today's Independent:
    Every business is now in a state of disarray, every financial institution predicts we’ll be worse off by somewhere around eight per cent, but it will all be worth it because we’ll now be free to conclude a separate trade agreement with comets and certain species of moss.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-a8634916.html

The thing is, we can't. The deal as proposed prohibits the UK from making any trade deal on its own behalf. All trade deals under the Draft Agreement will be negotiated by the EU and imposed on the UK. The UK will have no say at all in what trade deals it operates under. This isn't a stop-gap, this is a permanent arrangement until such time as the EU agrees to allow an alternative, and they're not going to do that when there's no reason for them to do it.

Proudly humble
    is Lost in the Ozone, again.

I am:
    Cool

Local Date
    11-19-2018
    Local Time
    12:57 PM
    Gifts Beer Balloons Gift Car Beer

Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    I find myself disgusted with the coverage on the issues. The country is basically split on whether to leave or not yet time after time on discussion programmes like question time there is invariably a preponderance of brexiteers reiterating their mantra about how we cannot change our minds and it would be undemocratic to have another think about this.

They are half-wits who can't seem to grasp that the effect on our economy will not be immediate as companies wait to see what happens before making final decisions. There are thousands of expats who are now facing losing their jobs in the eu and having to come home to no future.

Random thought of the day:
    It seems that, assuming Human Civilization survives into the 22nd Century, this period will be known as the era of the half-wit.
    "The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so." - Will Rogers

gmc
    Currently Offline
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Local Date
    11-19-2018
    Local Time
    Gifts Cocktail Car Beer

Register to remove this ad.
    Methinks you give brexiteers too much credit

"Leave-voting MP Nadine Dorries slams May's Brexit deal because UK won’t have seats in European parliament"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8639216.html

You just couldn;t make this stuff up could you.

+ Reply to Thread