For better or worse?

A forum created specifically for polls.
koan

For better or worse?

Post by koan »

If the person you were engaged to marry had an accident and became paraplegic, would you go through with the marriage or back out of it?

No means you would leave them.

Yes means the full deal.

I'll allow a third option "Other" but you have to explain what other action you would take.
sunny104

For better or worse?

Post by sunny104 »

yes! it wouldn't change who they are on the inside which is what you should have been marrying them for in the first place. :-6
Marie5656

For better or worse?

Post by Marie5656 »

I will give a conditional yes. Here is why. I would stay with the person, no matter what. BUT there are some cases, in this country at least, where benefits could be cut or eliminated if you were married.

If his getting married would constitute a redution in aid or benefits for him, I would stay with him..just not have the wedding.

I mean..what if the accident happened after marriage?
chonsigirl

For better or worse?

Post by chonsigirl »

Yes, what if the accident happened after marriage?

I could not tell you how many people told me to get a divorce really fast when my husband became ill-I put them on my CREEP list.

Only advantage I had as being legally married-I got the power of attorney and retired him. I am in charge of his money, what little there is. Enough to pay the house and 1/4 the nursing expenses. The rest is up to me.
woppy71

For better or worse?

Post by woppy71 »

chonsigirl wrote: Yes, what if the accident happened after marriage?

I could not tell you how many people told me to get a divorce really fast when my husband became ill-I put them on my CREEP list.

Only advantage I had as being legally married-I got the power of attorney and retired him. I am in charge of his money, what little there is. Enough to pay the house and 1/4 the nursing expenses. The rest is up to me.

Big respect to you!!

I answered yes - There are many more facets to a person than their physical or mental self, it's what's inside thats important. Yes, I know that sounds liike a cliche, but, ask anyone what they really like in their partner, what it is that makes your heart feel kinda weird when your with that person. I would bet they couldn't really put their finger on any one thing.

For me, my marriage is absolutely for life. No question about it. I don't know how I would describe my marriage, exept perhaps that lyric sung by phill collins in Buster: "Two hearts living in just one mind" :-4
Behaviour breeds behaviour - treat people how you would like to be treated yourself
OpenMind

For better or worse?

Post by OpenMind »

The intent to marry is as good as married as far as I'm concerned. And other than for malicious treatment by the partner, marriage is for life as far as I am concerned, in poor health and in good. It's a life long contract to love and take care of each other for the rest of your life.
eyesopen

For better or worse?

Post by eyesopen »

you love the person not the body
Bill Sikes

For better or worse?

Post by Bill Sikes »

koan wrote: If the person you were engaged to marry had an accident and became paraplegic, would you go through with the marriage or back out of it?

This IMO is a question that can't be answered unless one is "on the spot".

(Sorry, Spot!).
guppy

For better or worse?

Post by guppy »

to turn this around, if i were the one injured that bad, i would not marry my fiance. i would hope that he would still visit but i would want him to go on and have a life that i would no longer be able to share in. i would want better for him. That is my opinion.
Bryn Mawr

For better or worse?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

guppy wrote: to turn this around, if i were the one injured that bad, i would not marry my fiance. i would hope that he would still visit but i would want him to go on and have a life that i would no longer be able to share in. i would want better for him. That is my opinion.

An interesting twist on the question and an attitude I would think would be quite common.
Bill Sikes

For better or worse?

Post by Bill Sikes »

guppy wrote: to turn this around, if i were the one injured that bad, i would not marry my fiance. i would hope that he would still visit but i would want him to go on and have a life that i would no longer be able to share in. i would want better for him. That is my opinion.

An interesting reversal. I still think it's impossible to say without "being there"!

Return to “Polls, Polls, and more Polls”