All for one?

A forum created specifically for polls.
koan

All for one?

Post by koan »

By controlling medical research funds, you are in the position to guarantee that a cure will be found in 15 years for any disease you choose. Unfortunately, no progress on any others would be made during that period. Would you target one disease?
Marie5656

All for one?

Post by Marie5656 »

For the first time, Koan, you have a question I am unable to answer. I am not sure I like the concept of one above all others. What should the one be? AIDS? Cancer? I do not know if I could make that decision. Partly I think because so many diseases have touched my family over the years...AIDS, cancer, Heart Disease, CP (OK, last one not really a disease), I could not pick just one.

As for your other option, spreading it out. While it seems like a better choice, just how far do you spread it?

I know, I am probably overthinking your question. There are so many diseases out there..some that strike many, others that are rare. Where do we draw the line. You know, as I am typing I have an answer that suits me, personally. I would fund the orphan diseases..the ones that have little research or funding.
OpenMind

All for one?

Post by OpenMind »

I am going to go for keeping the funding spread out. But, this is a moot question. The killer dieseases should really get the main bulk of the funds with something put aside to ease the discomfort caused by the others.

But how can you choose one killer disease over another. If I were in a position of authority, I would look to see what research is looking to be the most viable at the time and put the money on those. On the other hand, if there is not enough money for more than one research option, then the decision would have to be based on factors such as which disease was killing the most people and which research looked likely to be the most successful.

So, in the end, my vote is invalid. The other option would also have been invalid.
sunny104

All for one?

Post by sunny104 »

I voted for keeping them spread out....everyone deserves a chance.....
Casey Morgan

All for one?

Post by Casey Morgan »

This was an easy one for me actually. I can't imagine looking someone in the eye and saying sorry, you have to die, your disease isn't important enough. And discoveries made in the research of one disease may aid the research of others.
DesignerGal

All for one?

Post by DesignerGal »

It would be hard to determine which disease was more important than the other at the given time for me.

HBIC
Casey Morgan

All for one?

Post by Casey Morgan »

Those drug companies really tee me off. I understand that they need money for research. But these days they're all about the almighty dollar. Given how many people (or is that just my own prejudice speaking?) view them, perhaps it would be great PR if they did invest money into things like finding drugs to cure malaria. Perhaps free enterprise and medicine aren't such good partners.

Return to “Polls, Polls, and more Polls”