Does fame matter (fixed)?

A forum created specifically for polls.
koan

Post by koan »

Would you be willing to make substantial sacrifice to have any of the following:

your picture on a postage stamp

your statue in a park

a college named after you

a Nobel prize

a national holiday in your honour

other form of recognition/fame?

The word substantial is fairly open to interpretation but it would mean something that holds significant value to you be it possessions, time or anything else of "cost". One need not assume the dramatic ie) losing a child etc.

You can select more than one option.
minks

Post by minks »

Gawd no.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Life alone is sometimes a sacrifice, and fame is fleeting and usually not known until you are deceased. What does it matter then?
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

I am not sure that kind of recognition would be important to me. For me, personally, it goes along with my feelings of not liking tobe made the center of attention....even though these things you suggest would not put me on that kind of display,
weeder

Post by weeder »

I only make substancial sacrifices to benefit the well being of others.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

The idea of going out and everyone knowing who I was and nudging each other and pointing would make me a recluse.

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
koan

Post by koan »

weeder wrote: I only make substancial sacrifices to benefit the well being of others.

I said yes to the Pulitzer because I figured that I would have won it for contribution to society. I figured the sacrifice would be the time and resources invested in making the contribution.

Um. I mean the Nobel
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

I voted no, I don't need any "big" things to be happy....:-6
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

sunny104 wrote: I voted no, I don't need any "big" things to be happy....:-6

Your my kinda girl!!

Me I better stay anonymous. Might be a warrent out there somewhere. Or a child support payment--just kidding on the child support--I think.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

I often say that, if I won a BIG LOTTERY, I'd endow a new reptile house for the zoo...but I'd name it for the curator of reptiles, because I admire him a LOT! So, in that case, I'd be anonymous.

(I'm the one "other" vote.)
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Shweet tatersalad

Post by Shweet tatersalad »

AAWWWWWWWWWWW,is this the sappiest thread or what?

If any of you won a huge lottery today your outlook would change>

Or too keep with the "theme" here,you would reject the money and live happily ever after:rolleyes:

Any hoo just funn'in,I am already famous,I am known as DADDY too a very important audience of my daughter,this is the only person i care about who who cars about me
koan

Post by koan »

Read an article yesterday about a guy who mortgaged his house to build ramps so he could try to beat the world record for the longest ramped motorcycle jump.

That's how serious some people can get over having their name enshrined...anywhere.

If you think about it, some awards with a name attached to it are lifetime acheivement awards. I doubt lifetime acheivements can be accomplished without some sacrifice. I'd be interested to know which person bought themselves a Nobel prize.
koan

Post by koan »

If you look at the options, a college can be named after someone who funded it (which is a generous thing and worthy cause) but the rest are honours bestowed upon someone.

The problem is looking at it strictly as the sacrifice being for the sole purpose of the recognition without knowing what the recognition would be granted for. My choice of Nobel prize is because of things I'm working on right now. If I succeed it is the only thing on the list that would even remotely result. To me, it's not the prize but what the prize would mean.
woppy71

Post by woppy71 »

I don't need any recognition from outside my friends or family, infact, the only recognition I need are the cuddles and laughter from my little boy and smiles from my wife. If I get those things, then I know I'm doing OK.

I would never make any sacrifice unless it was for my family or close friends or if there was a very compelling humanitarian reason to do so.

Also, I believe that I am no longer the most important thing in my life. My son and Carrie-Anne always come before me. Always.:-4
Behaviour breeds behaviour - treat people how you would like to be treated yourself
koan

Post by koan »

woppy71 wrote:

I would never make any sacrifice unless it was for my family or close friends or if there was a very compelling humanitarian reason to do so.

There is no lack of compelling humanitarian causes in the world.
woppy71

Post by woppy71 »

koan wrote: There is no lack of compelling humanitarian causes in the world.

I suppose it would mean what sort of sacrifice you mean. I do give money to some very carefully chosen humanitarian organisations, even though I am not very well off at all. I still have to put my family first though, I believe it's only natural to do so:)
Behaviour breeds behaviour - treat people how you would like to be treated yourself

Return to “Polls, Polls, and more Polls”