pork faggot poll

A forum created specifically for polls.
theia

pork faggot poll

Post by theia »

I'm not sure that I want to know what's actually in them, but I love them :-6
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
theia

pork faggot poll

Post by theia »

jesse b;535138 wrote: Water, Pork 11% (Pork Liver, Pork), Pork Rind, Rusk, Onion, Wheatflour, Lard, Salt, Modified Waxy Maize Starch, Tomato Purée, Flavourings, Colour (E150c), Sugar, Herbs, Spices

yum yum E150c

Yep, been a long time favourite of mine, too :wah:

Not too sure about the "pork rind," which could cover a multitude of things, but I'll just conveniently forget about it!
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Lulu2

pork faggot poll

Post by Lulu2 »

OMG! I'm genuinely sorry I even READ this! :yh_sick
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Bill Sikes

pork faggot poll

Post by Bill Sikes »

jesse b;535138 wrote: Water, Pork 11% (Pork Liver, Pork), Pork Rind, Rusk, Onion, Wheatflour, Lard, Salt, Modified Waxy Maize Starch, Tomato Purée, Flavourings, Colour (E150c), Sugar, Herbs, Spices

yum yum E150c

You can often get these from a butcher, sometimes made on the premises. You

can make them yourself!

E150C is a caramel colouring, I suppose you could make it, but I'd be tempted

to leave it out, and fry the faggots for a while before baking them.
DesignerGal

pork faggot poll

Post by DesignerGal »

I have never had them. They sound kind of gross.

HBIC
Bill Sikes

pork faggot poll

Post by Bill Sikes »

Who "hates them", then? I bet you've never had one, just read the ingredients

list!
theia

pork faggot poll

Post by theia »

DesignerGal;535152 wrote: I have never had them. They sound kind of gross.

They do sound gross, DG, but they taste lovely. I just wish the name of the maker of the frozen variety, in gravy, wasn't "Brains."
Carl44

pork faggot poll

Post by Carl44 »

the only pork faggot i like is that davvid ,and he is the only one in the village:o :o sorry it was funny when i thought it honest
Imladris

pork faggot poll

Post by Imladris »

:yh_sick Hate them, hate them, hate them,

Yes, I haven't eaten them, couldn't quite bring myself too, the smell is just offal
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
SuzyB

pork faggot poll

Post by SuzyB »

Wendybird;535173 wrote: I will happily eat Haggis any day but anything that is called a faggot makes me think of pink and fluffy like my male friends who are getting married this year.

Not gonna eat them! :-3

Bet they like eating faggots, :D
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!

Galbally

pork faggot poll

Post by Galbally »

I haven't had em for years, but love em, a British classic with a typically fruity name! yummy! :wah:
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
theia

pork faggot poll

Post by theia »

pompom;535262 wrote:

Make your own faggots!

Ingredients: Serves 4

1 pigs liver - diced

1 pigs heart - diced

6 rashers streaky bacon - cut into strips

250g pork belly - diced

2 medium sized onions - peeled and sliced

1 egg

100g breadcrumbs

2 tsp of finely chopped fresh sage

Salt and pepper to taste

A large knob of butter

Cooking Instructions:

1. Melt the butter in a large heavy based oven proof pan, add half the sliced onion and cook over a moderate heat until the onions soften.

2. Gradually add all the meats, stir for a few minutes then add enough water to cover the ingredients, leave uncovered and put in the middle shelf of the oven at 190oC for 50 minutes.

3. Remove from the oven, drain the liquid (to make the gravy), mince the meats and onion with the remaining onion, egg, breadcrumbs, 1 tsp of sage and salt and pepper, mix well and form into faggot sized balls.

4. Place the faggots into a greased baking tray and add enough of the reserved liquid to just cover the base of the tray. Cook for about 40 minutes at 200oC on the middle shelf.

5. In the meantime use the rest of the reserved liquid to make some gravy.

6. Five minutes before the faggots are cooked add the gravy to the tray and cook on the stove getting as much of the meat juices into the liquid.

7. Serve whilst piping hot with mashed potatoes and peas pudding, garnish with the remaining sage.

That sounds lovely. I wonder if it would work without the heart and perhaps a bit more belly? What's peas pudding again? Is that like mushy peas?
Marie5656

pork faggot poll

Post by Marie5656 »

OK, forgive me for being the squeaky wheel here. I normally have few problems with posts here, and the language and foods of other countries and cultures. I do, though have a problem with the word "faggot" ...as in this country it is a derogatory and cruel nickname for homosexuals. I know jesse you do not mean to offend...and it is not your fault.

Sorry..:-1
theia

pork faggot poll

Post by theia »

Marie5656;535277 wrote: OK, forgive me for being the squeaky wheel here. I normally have few problems with posts here, and the language and foods of other countries and cultures. I do, though have a problem with the word "faggot" ...as in this country it is a derogatory and cruel nickname for homosexuals. I know jesse you do not mean to offend...and it is not your fault.

Marie...apologies to you for using a word that you find offensive. It is also used here for the dish that we're talking about and has been in use for as long as I can remember, probably (though I don't know for sure), long before it was used in the way that you describe. Rest assured that none of us means to cause offence to you, but there isn't an alternative name for the dish, as far as I know.
chonsigirl

pork faggot poll

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, that is a bad word here. But I know they use it there to mean something else. It doesn't sound very yummy either, from what I read. But then, I do not think chicharones would sound good to other cultures either.

Ghads, and it is almost dinner time too..................................:o

pork faggot poll

Post by 911 »

I always thought the term 'faggot' was a British name for cigarrette.

"Faggot sized balls"? I'm sorry, but I did laugh when I read that! :wah: :lips:
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
theia

pork faggot poll

Post by theia »

911;535288 wrote: I always thought the term 'faggot' was a British name for cigarrette.

"Faggot sized balls"? I'm sorry, but I did laugh when I read that! :wah: :lips:

We often use "fag" for cigarette and that's another old(ish) term too, or, as old as me, which is definitely old(ish)!
theia

pork faggot poll

Post by theia »

Diuretic;535291 wrote: You're looking for the word "fag"911.

I'm sorry folks but they are unpleasant. I mean they're also unhealthy (faggots I mean).

And fried Mars bars :(

Makes them even nicer, Di :D

pork faggot poll

Post by 911 »

Diuretic;535291 wrote: You're looking for the word "fag"911.

I'm sorry folks but they are unpleasant. I mean they're also unhealthy (faggots I mean).

And fried Mars bars :(

Oh, thanks. I knew I had heard the term 'fag' but I thought it was short for 'faggot'. So, it's just fag, OK. I know they used to use that term in the old war movies.

Why would anyone ruin a perfectly good Mars bar by frying it?
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
Bill Sikes

pork faggot poll

Post by Bill Sikes »

Wendybird;535173 wrote: a faggot makes me think of pink and fluffy like my male friends who are getting married this year.3

You are suffering from Transatlantic Influence. Anyway, they're not getting married.
Bill Sikes

pork faggot poll

Post by Bill Sikes »

pompom;535262 wrote: 1 pigs liver - diced

1 pigs heart - diced

6 rashers streaky bacon - cut into strips

250g pork belly - diced

2 medium sized onions - peeled and sliced[/CENTER]

I'm afraid that I prefer the mixture more, dare I say it, minced - and pease pudding - pff.
Bill Sikes

pork faggot poll

Post by Bill Sikes »

Diuretic;535291 wrote: I'm sorry folks but they are unpleasant. I mean they're also unhealthy (faggots I mean).

(

What! Unhealthy? Why?
Bill Sikes

pork faggot poll

Post by Bill Sikes »

pompom;535321 wrote: The recipe says to mince the meats after the first cooking, Bill )

Oh, bum. So it does.
Bryn Mawr

pork faggot poll

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Marie5656;535277 wrote: OK, forgive me for being the squeaky wheel here. I normally have few problems with posts here, and the language and foods of other countries and cultures. I do, though have a problem with the word "faggot" ...as in this country it is a derogatory and cruel nickname for homosexuals. I know jesse you do not mean to offend...and it is not your fault.

Two countries separated by a common language.

It's also a bundle of sticks gathered for firewood. Perfectly acceptable usage when used in either of those contexts surely. It can only be offensive if used in an offensive context.
Chookie

pork faggot poll

Post by Chookie »

Do they come with chips?
An ye harm none, do what ye will....
nvalleyvee

pork faggot poll

Post by nvalleyvee »

yum yum E150c

EEEEWWWWW
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Galbally

pork faggot poll

Post by Galbally »

Yes, I had forgotten about this one alright, the faggot issue, like bill says it also means a bundle of wood collected for a fire, and a piece of buring wood as well as a knida British meatbally and gravy food thing if I am not mistaken. I remember the "Brains Faggots" adds on telly, they were great! And yes homosexual men are also reffered to as faggots here, but not as much as in America, they used to called queers, and now the more polite term is gay of course, or homosexual (which is a bit clinical). I don't know if that other use of faggot an american thing we picked up on or visa versa, its a strange type of semantical thing alright. It is kinda derogatory here as well, though gay men do use it themselves sometimes I suppose to reverse the insult, but it seems to have more of a sting over there in the US.

But again seriously, to get back to the food version, they are lovely, but you should get homemade ones, because the processed ones are not very good for you, they are not as nice as haggis though, hmmmmmm haggissss! I wonder what else delights of food we have forgotten that would make you lot over there sick just to think about it? :wah:

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

pork faggot poll

Post by Galbally »

pompom;535664 wrote:

Brawn?

Ingredients:

Clean a pigs head and soak in brine for a few days. Before using, wash in clean cold water. Boil until the meat drops from the bone. Strain and reserve this stock in which the head was cooked. In a separate saucepan cook the pigs liver, heart and tongue, until very tender. Strain and add this second stock to the first reserved stock; add to it 6 black peppercorns, and an equal number of whole cloves, and boil until it is reduced to one pint. Strain again, add 1 cupful of good vinegar and reheat.

Directions:

In the meantime, chop the meat or put it through a mincer, add seasoning of chopped onions or sage if desired. Add salt and pepper if needed. Pack into stone crocks, pour the stock over it, cover with a plate, weight down well, cover with a cloth and set aside for a week before using.

I don't think I have ever had that, hmmmmnnn, might be nice. What about stuffed lamb hearts, did you ever have them, they are lovely. Yummy.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

pork faggot poll

Post by Galbally »

pompom;535767 wrote: My dad used to eat brawn when I was a kid - one of those things that only dad ate, like tripe and onions.

I used to cook stuffed lambs hearts when my son was small (I never told him what they were!) - they are delicious aren't they?

It sounds grisly but I liked preparing them, reminded me of dissecting things in biology class. :D

Yeah, its cool sticking the stuffing in the little cavities and checking them out in how they work, and yes they are delicious indeed when roasted with some lovely mushrooms, so juicy and tasty! Yummy!

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Bill Sikes

pork faggot poll

Post by Bill Sikes »

Galbally;535762 wrote: What about stuffed lamb hearts, did you ever have them, they are lovely. Yummy.

"Love in disguise" (pig's hearts) is a well-known dish...
Galbally

pork faggot poll

Post by Galbally »

Bill Sikes;535800 wrote: "Love in disguise" (pig's hearts) is a well-known dish...

Oh, I have never had pigs heart, do you stuff it as well? That might be nice, I wonder does it taste the same as lambs heart???

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
sunny104

pork faggot poll

Post by sunny104 »

I'll try anything! :D

I'll have to get some next time I'm in Ireland. :-6
YZGI

pork faggot poll

Post by YZGI »

I save all the venison hearts from the deer me and my sons hunt. We love them.
sunny104

pork faggot poll

Post by sunny104 »

YZGI;536185 wrote: I save all the venison hearts

:-3

Return to “Polls, Polls, and more Polls”